Author Topic: Powder measure  (Read 3291 times)

Ahtuwisae

Powder measure
« on: March 22, 2012, 12:43:10 AM »
I realized that i did not have a personal measure, so I decided to make one for myself on Sunday and went to work filing.  Enjoy!

This was of my own design ....throws 75 grains 3F I made the copper ring

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Powder measure
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 01:30:45 AM »
 Really nice work John, well done, great design and I like the idea of the grs. on the measure.

Tim C.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 03:57:29 AM »
Very nicely done...what is the finish
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 04:14:41 AM »
Great work John. Complete package, style and color. Thanks for sharing.  AJ
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 04:31:39 AM »
I love the design an color ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Tom Cooper

• Nil Magnum Nise Bonum
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 04:52:54 AM »
I like it, looks to be several hundred years old.

very well done
Tom

The best way I know of to ruin a perfectly plain longrifle is to carve and engrave it

Offline draken

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 07:24:10 AM »
A really nice measure, John.  I like everything about it  :)
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Ahtuwisae

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 04:01:40 PM »
Thank you all for the compliments.  This one was so fun to make I will be doing others as fill-ins between other projects.

For those that want to know the color and finish:

I soaked the antler in alcohol, after filing and scraping,  for about 20 min or so.  took it out, let it dry and brought the dye to a boil and shut it off.  Hung it on a wire in the dye.  now my intention was to leave in for 5 minutes but got involved making a cup and it was in there for 2 hours. >:(

Took it out and WOW! I liked it...while the antler was still hot, I rubbed it down with a heavy coat of paste finishing wax and covered it in black powdered tempera paint.  applied heat and the paint mixes with the wax.  rubbed it in the crevices and applied a bit more wax..a little more heat..and repeated until I got the patina I was looking for.

applying the heat to the paint/wax mix seems to pigment it a bit and caramelizes it to the product.  works well for me..I use it on my boxes, wood bases, plugs, lids, horns...heck it works well for aging just about anything.  even adds a bit of patina to the copper rings.

Regards, John :D