Author Topic: Hog rifle in the year 1910  (Read 2050 times)

Offline Carper

Hog rifle in the year 1910
« on: March 22, 2012, 03:23:40 AM »
Reading Dennis' statements about "hog rifles" brought to mind an incident that my grandpa related to me. The year was 1910 in the backwoods of WV (not a lot different from 1818 in that locale) and my grandpa was a boy walking back to the farm from the coal mine where he worked as a blaster. It was hog killing time and a local man who was mentally challenged went around to the farms and killed and dressed the hogs and stayed on until the work was complete. As my pa came up the path the man took a shot at a hog in the pen with a flintlock Honaker rifle. The rifle misfired ( as Honakers are want to do)and he laid it across the rail fence and took a wire from his hat and proceed to jab the touchole. At that moment the rifle fired ???  Hit a hog in the side and the man became so excited and flustered  that he was  just out of it. My Grandpa took his knife and jumped into the pen and dispatched the wounded hog.  How about that for a hangfire.   Johnny

Offline Majorjoel

Re: Hog rifle in the year 1910
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 03:42:32 AM »
That is quite a story Johnny! What really gets me the most is the time frame. One thing I have learned from you is the fact that the longrifle has been made and in use from it's inception well into the twentieth century and beyond to this present time! I'm also glad that your story's misfire only wounded a hog and not a two legged human being. :D
Joel Hall