Author Topic: "The Masterpiece Rifle"  (Read 36357 times)

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
"The Masterpiece Rifle"
« on: March 22, 2012, 04:52:19 PM »
For those who want to see the "Masterpiece Rifle' in person - it will be on display at booth 3936 during the NRA convention in St. Louis  April 13-15, 2012.

H.T.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: "The Masterpiece Rifle"
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 05:01:30 PM »
Who made it?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Flinter

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 09:06:17 PM »
I would bet a couple hundred that Hugh made the rifle, but I am broke.

Nice rifle Hugh

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 10:26:31 PM »
Who do you go to to get your gun declared a "Masterpiece"? ???
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 03:08:17 AM »
Flinter:   Thanks for the comment!   The reason I call this gun the "Masterpiece Rifle" is because of it's origin -I made it for entrance into the American Custom Gunmaker's Guild.  The Guild's primary criteria for membership is "high end workmanship".    The rifle is NOT made from a kit nor a stock duplicator -  lock, stock and barrel are all form my bench using largely hand tools and my own savvy.
The rifle took 3000 hrs. to complete and the case & accessories took another 3000 hrs.   It was presented to the ACGG in 2009 for scrutiny and I was accepted without one descending vote.  As of this date it has been on display at: Princeton IL, Denver, Los Vegas, Reno, Fort Worth, and Dallas Safari Club.    Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 03:12:37 AM »
The rifle is a Masterpiece. No matter where the  handle came from. I commend you on your skill and patience, 6000 hours is alot of work. Great Rifle!

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 05:50:58 AM »
Blacksmoke, that rifle is a Masterpiece by anyone's standards.  By the way, gentlemen, it is not bragging for a gunsmith to say that the rifle he built as a journeymen in order to be recognized as a master gunsmith is, in fact, his "masterpiece".   Blacksmoke, however, had made many other rifles we would consider masterpieces before he made this particular Masterpiece.  Beautiful work.
Wayne Elliott

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 05:58:44 AM »
Thanks Wayne,  I appreciate your comments.    Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 07:35:34 AM »
Hi Hugh,
It is a masterpiece of contemporary interpretation that should be seen.  I enjoyed the article you sent me about it. 

Your friend,

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 03:06:25 PM »
Hello Blacksmoke,
Would you please grace us "gun hackers" a few more pictures and descriptive comments about your fine looking rifle.
Which we can only dream of making or owning.
My most sincere compliments!
Old Ford  ( Fred )
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 03:13:08 PM »
 Scroll down through this thread there are some pix:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=15734.msg147717#msg147717

Tim C.

Offline louieparker

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 05:45:28 PM »
 I saw Hugh's rifle at the princeton Illinois show a few years ago. I can tell you its a great piece of work . Have you give any thought to what 6000 thousand hours amounts to in 40 hour weeks.."YEARS"  Anyone having the determination to stick with a project that long deserves a bunch of credit for that alone, not to mention a fine outcome.  In the past I have been credited with having patience, but compared to this I have none ..My last project took about five months of some very long days. By the end of this time all I wanted was for it to be OVER ! 

Great outfit Hugh

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 08:15:49 PM »
Dave, Fred, Tim and Louie - Thanks for the supporting comments!   I am preparing for the NRA show at the moment but as soon as I have a little spare time I would be happy to post some photos of the cased longrifle set which have not been published before and give a little more info on how I made the project.    Thanks for your sincere interest.    Hugh   Toenjes
H.T.

54Bucks

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 02:48:51 AM »
 Congratulations on this fine rifle and your acceptance into the ACGG. No doubt your work will stand on it's own merit and survive the test of time.

Flinter

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 03:15:16 AM »
Maybe somewhere (on the ALR) someone built a flintlock and did not put a touch hole in it, because they knew it would not be fired. If it was mine by purchase, I would definitely run some powder through it. I imagine it shoots as good as it looks.

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 06:26:45 AM »
Flinter& 54Bucks:   Yes it does shoot as good as it looks!  Before I build any muzzle loader and after I rifle up the barrel, it gets "proofed".  By that I mean: I proof test the barrel for it's accuracy on a home made proofing bench on which  the barrel is clamped in a wooden jig that can be removed for reloading then re- clamped to the bench for the next shot.  This is how I work up a load for that particular barrel as well.  Anyway check out the attached proof target which I fired before I spent 3000 hrs. building the "Masterpiece Rifle".  After the rifle was built it has never been fired and it remains in "mint" condition even after many yrs. of displays, travel and examination.    Hugh Toenjes

« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 06:27:19 AM by Blacksmoke »
H.T.

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 03:03:04 PM »
Good shootin. I can't even hit a 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper at 100 yards.
That's some pretty gun alright.

I also have to ask, Hugh. How do you pronounce your last name?
"toe-in-ez"  "tone-ez"
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 03:06:10 PM by Keb Mo »

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 04:09:36 PM »
Keb Mo:   Thanks for the comments - my last name is German in origin and it has been "bastardized" from the German  spelling.  Now it is pronounced:  "ton-jis".  The old German spelling is:  "Tonnges" with an umlaut above the "O".      Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 04:17:40 PM »
I would have guessed it was Spanish. Sorry but thanks.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 04:29:18 PM »
Hugh..........while that group you shot looks impressive, and it does, many people don't realize how you shot it.  It wasn't
shot with open sights, it was shot with a machine rest.   I think I could find other barrels that would shoot equally well
using the same machine.   One other note.....that fact that it took you 3000 hours is not necessarily a criteria for determining value.   Mark Silver, by his own admission, is a slow worker, but does outstanding work.   On the other hand
we have Allen Martin, who can do an outstanding gun in 3 to 4 weeks.   Just out of curiosity, what would you value your
"Masterpiece" gun at?     ...........Don

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 06:07:44 PM »
Don:  Thanks for your interest in this thread.  I cannot put a dollar value on the "Masterpiece Rifle" as I did not make it to sell.  It was made to example high end workmanship when presented to the American Custom Gunmaker's Guild for acceptance into that Guild.  That transaction has already occurred and the rifle's purpose has been fulfilled.    However if someone wanted to purchase the gun from me and I decided to sell  - the transaction would be a "private" matter.
   As to rifling gun barrels - after the number of years that you spent at doing it you should know that all barrels are NOT equal.   Some will shoot just fine( 1" group at 100 yds.)  and others will not, even though the are from the same bench with the same style of rifling and done by the same hand.  It is a phenomena that I cannot explain.     Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 06:33:39 PM »
Hugh, It is simply a beautiful gun! I guess some people don't understand the term "Masterpiece". Thanks for showing it again.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 11:58:25 PM »
Hugh......you're right about barrels.    They are individual things.    As for the value of your gun, that was kind of a dumb
thing for me to ask you to put a value on it.    I own the original "fox face" huntiing bag, has been in my family since it was made and is impossible to put a value on it, a family treasure.   You have created your own "treasure" with this gun.  I am going to keep on building, as long as I can.   When, and if, I reach that number 100 (next one will be 93), I may use the
first barrel I ever made.   It was made when the equipment was still down in Gettysburg, in the Paris shop.  It is a 44"
Standard Light barrel, .930 at the breech, tapering to .750 at the small part, and flairing to about .830.   Pretty barrel,
in 45 cal., 1/48 twist.   Would make a nice Beck or Dickert, but will not be a "masterpiece", just another gun.  It would go
well with my first rifle built in 1970, unlike the guy that told me his first gun was good enough to sell.   You should bring
your rifle to the CLA show, a lot of us would love to see it..............Don

lafreniere

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 02:05:39 PM »
Mr Toenjes, I am a long time lurker here and just joined today to reply to your thread about the masterpiece rifle.
I have been a jeweler and craftsman for over thirty years now and have never seen work more deserving the term masterpiece.
I also admire your confidence and composure in response to some very sophomoric attacks.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 03:53:47 PM by lafreniere »

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 04:13:33 PM »
Hugh,

It seems that at the heart of this discussion is a debate concerning the merits of your rifle.  Are these open for debate / discussion?  I realize you have a lot invested in this and a public debate might be uncomfortable, but just thought I would ask.

Jim
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 04:17:15 PM by Jim Kibler »