Author Topic: "The Masterpiece Rifle"  (Read 36355 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: "The Masterpiece Rifle"
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2012, 08:38:52 PM »
Mike,

If you want to know about the American Custom Gunmakers Guild, I would suggest you go to their web site and read about them.  http://www.acgg.org/
I have shown with the ACGG/FEGA joint show in Reno, NV since yr. 2000

Yes, they are more about the Bolt and Single Shot Rifles, and Shotguns , but they are not ignorant as to quality of workmanship.
This is what Hugh's Rifle was judged on , Quality of Workmanship.
Does the work show "mastery" of the skills necessary for a high quality custom product ?
Hugh's rifle does, without question.

Now I must admit, that there are things about the gun I would have done differently to meet my sense of artistic balance, but that does not negate the fact that the "piece" is done by a person who has "mastery" of his medium and therefore can be refereed to as a "masters-piece".

Mike, I would say the same for your work also, and a host of others on the ALR forum.

Mark Swanson, engraver

He may be a master of wire inlay, but somebody ought to teach him how to properly stock and carve a rifle. I've seen better stock architecture come out of TVM.  It seems he could have pounded that wire in a curly maple plank and still been declared a "Master ;)
 Shows me how irrelevant this particular gun Guild is also......
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2012, 08:52:50 PM »
Mike, as far as I know we have never objected to critique of guns. We do object to personal insult and attack... to anyone.

Everyone....... is entitled to an opinion about the merits of a gun. we in fact try to promote well intentioned and constructive critique.... use descriptive language to help us see the particular aspects of the gun that you like or dislike, think appropriate or inappropriate......... If it is honestly educational for all involved.. that fits the purpose of this site....

All of us also need to ask ourselves: "Would you want your kids to see what I write??"  BEFORE we post........   No need to insult the person who made the gun.. there are plenty of other forums for that
Well, OK.....
 The most difficult thing to get past is the cheek piece. PREGNANT and amateurish. Looks like something off of a 1960's Dixie Gun Works kit. The wrist area looks almost squarish and the barrel is buried too deep in the wood. The wire is nicely executed, although it does "float" a bit behind the cheek, nothing to anchor it. What's up with those grooved areas around the lock panels? Another very amateurish feature. It is also imbalanced with the lack of relief carving. The very little bit that is behind the barrel tang is insignificant and amateurishly executed. $#*!, I'm no great shakes at relief carving but even I can do better than that. He would have been far better off to carry the lock panels and tang carving off in wire as that is his forte'. The engraving is fine, but for a "Masterpiece " gun I'd expect far more of it. I don't remember anything else about the gun, I couldn't get past the above faults.
 This may have been considered "Masterpiece work" in the 60's and 70's, but you just can't get by with this kind of stuff these days .
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2012, 08:59:06 PM »
This is the verbage for acceptance as a "regular member" into the guild. It is revealing and certain points have been highlighted in red by myself that might warrant further discussion.

While the ACGG is fortunate to have many of the world’s finest craftspersons as Regular Members, the broad diversity of our membership dictates that we make no endorsement of any Member’s level of expertise. No warranty is made as to the individual’s skills or ability to perform any particular work. In order to become a Regular Member the application process includes:

1.3 signatures of current Regular Members who have examined work and attest that it meets minimum acceptable standards;
2.6 customer references verifying satisfactory business relationships;
3.displaying two examples of work based on established guidelines;
4.vote for approval of work by 2/3 majority of Regular Members attending annual exhibition.

One gains membership by submitting the above work in a category or categories, of which there are several.  Hugh is listed as a stockmaker.  No title is bestowed other than "regular member" upon acceptance.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2012, 07:19:45 PM »
Mr. Brooks,

May we see some of your work? ???

Offline tim crowe

« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2012, 07:40:36 PM »
http://www.fowlingguns.com/rifle13.html

Mike has a few guns that you can see.

I like the one listed above.

Vomitus

« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2012, 08:56:18 PM »
  I couldn't find "Mike Brooks" listed on the ACGG so he can't be a master. :o ;D Beware of ALL smoothbore builders (and shooters)! They're hackers! ;D ;D Speaking of which, Hacker Martin built some unacclaimed masterpieces,did he not?

Offline tim crowe

« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2012, 10:20:53 PM »
Leatherbelly
That is a rifle. I wouldn't own a Smooth Bore.  ;D
The sad part is I drove right by Merango on the way to CornPatch, and I could have seen the gun!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2012, 10:26:39 PM »
Mr. Brooks,

May we see some of your work? ???
Try www.fowlingguns.com for all of my most resent work. No "Masterpieces" there, just stuff that has been evolving for the past 311 guns and 31 years.
But, this thread isn't about me. You can start another thread and critique my work if you want to......I'll even help! ;D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 10:28:22 PM by Mike Brooks »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2012, 02:06:04 AM »
Flinter:   Thanks for the comment!   The reason I call this gun the "Masterpiece Rifle" is because of it's origin -I made it for entrance into the American Custom Gunmaker's Guild.  The Guild's primary criteria for membership is "high end workmanship".    The rifle is NOT made from a kit nor a stock duplicator -  lock, stock and barrel are all form my bench using largely hand tools and my own savvy.
The rifle took 3000 hrs. to complete and the case & accessories took another 3000 hrs.   It was presented to the ACGG in 2009 for scrutiny and I was accepted without one descending vote.  As of this date it has been on display at: Princeton IL, Denver, Los Vegas, Reno, Fort Worth, and Dallas Safari Club.    Hugh Toenjes
Hugh.... It truly is a masterpiece rifle.... I would love to see it Up close... Will it make its way to the eastern part of the country... 6000 hours... I think you can get a masters degree quicker... Congratulations.... The art form is Enhanced by
 Builders With your level of dedication....
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2012, 02:48:04 AM »
I think this is how  " The War Between the States" got started. ;D ;D ::)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 02:48:47 AM by Avlrc »

greybeard

« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2012, 06:11:13 AM »
I think this is how  " The War Between the States" got started. ;D ;D ::)
[/quote

Reminds me of "OH YEA, well my uncle can whup your Uncle"

Sand box talk!!!!    Bob

tuffy

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2012, 05:00:06 PM »
It seems to me that, per the rules of the ACGG, Mr. Toenjes applied for regular membership. As such the ACGG made no mention of the quality of the rifle other than to approve membership. Therefore it must have been Mr. Toenjes that placed the moniker "Masterpiece Rifle" on said firearm. :-[ End of  story.

CW

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2012, 05:44:14 PM »
This is circling on semantics. The fact is, the rifle was submitted as an example of workmanship for entrance to the Guild. That qualifies loosely as a "masterpiece" I suppose. Question is , in my mind, ...if you made  a well executed, and decorated copyof  a TC "Hawken"  would it be seen as a Masterpiece ? Not to me, but that is just my opinion. What I see here, is a very decorated muzzleloading gun. Thats it. Same would hold true if you spent 1000's of hours making a gun based on a " Traditions" or "Pedersoli" design.  That's my penny spent  :-X

jimc2

« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2012, 05:50:51 PM »
This subject is getting looong and starting to I should say is out of hand. All this bickering is proving nothing. Your mind was made up many posts ago.JUST LET THIS GO. let get back to things that matter,Please

Online Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2012, 07:20:04 PM »
Well we might be accomplishing a new record as it pertains to length of a given thread?

See what I did there?  I just added to it!

;D
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

lafreniere

« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2012, 08:25:10 PM »
Long-time members of this forum may remember that this topic started about this time in '09.  A guy who posted as "Lew Wetzel" was given a pair of white gloves in order to handle Hugh's gun.  This put a few guys through the roof and, I guess, they're still upset.  Why don't we have a gentlemen's agreement to never use the "M" word and move on.  This thread is accomplishing nothing.

Or better yet, a gentleman's agreement to act like gentlemen.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2012, 08:32:03 PM »
A man puts that kind of time and effort into something, he must have a love and passion for his work, and to be treated the way he has, is to me , shameful.
I just plain don't get it. You don't like the gun, fine, explain yourself and let the man explain why things are the way they are and why he did them. To take issue with the word masterpiece or wearing gloves(?), especially in light of those things being explained, is petty and small minded, and to further expand on it, now this guild organization itself is taking hits(?), BAH! The whole thing sounds as catty as a high school cheerleader squad. I'm disgusted!
Mark R. Robinson
Robby

« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 08:36:54 PM by Robby »
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Frenchy

« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2012, 08:55:23 PM »
As others have shown, there is NO "Master" category of membership in the ACGG.
An affirmative vote of at least 2/3 means that the candidate has met or surpassed the minimum standards for workmanship to become a "Regular Member".
Seems the main criticism here is not the quality of the rifle but, the ego of the maker. Just rubs people wrong.   

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2012, 09:02:21 PM »
As this just seems to be circling round and round with nothing further of value apparent I am going to lock the thread.

I suggest reading the following blog post: http://artofmanliness.com/2011/07/13/being-a-gentleman-in-the-age-of-the-internet-6-ways-to-bring-civility-online/
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 09:02:54 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming