Author Topic: Amoskeag Auction lot 250  (Read 3416 times)

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Amoskeag Auction lot 250
« on: March 23, 2012, 01:02:40 AM »
I luv this fowler, would bid  on it myself but just bought a good gun last week. Mohawk Valley/Hudson Fowler....Luv this gun...goes off this Saturday. www.amoskeag-auction.com auction 88 lot number 250. Please someone buy it and post pictures.

Offline debnal

Re: Amoskeag Auction lot 250
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 07:39:54 PM »
The fowler brought $5000 plus the juice. I think that was a fair price for a good piece.
Al

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 09:48:10 PM »
Well worth it!

Offline vtbuck223

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 12:49:46 AM »
Very nice.  I'm usually in favor of leaving them alone...but that one is begging to be put back to flintlock.

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 03:39:56 AM »
The last time it was actually used it was a percussion gun. Its last ignition system is just as legitimate a part of its history as anything else. Why would the replacement of original parts with reproduction parts be an improvement? And what right do we have to "improve" antiquities in any case...

Offline vtbuck223

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 04:58:08 AM »
JVP...I tend to agree with you. It's just that in this case...it looks like the drum is missing....and it would be a fairly simple and nice reconversion.  However....I also appreciate the entire  history of these pieces....and think it is great as a percussion gun.

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 05:27:39 AM »
No one disputes the right of ownership. This is an ethical question, not a legal one. The owner has the right to use the stock for firewood and the barrel as a tent pole...

As to restoration - it depends on what is being done. Glueing together a shattered fore end or wrist is restoration... treating a heavily worm eaten stock with some of the new chemicals available in the museum world is conservation. Reconversion isn't either ... its alteration to conform to what someone thinks something might have looked like. We can't possibly know what was there originally and nothing we do, no matter how convincing it looks will actually be real. I think we have to ask ourselves, and other collectors, just how interested in history we are if we condone altering the artifacts to suit our current wishes.