Author Topic: Ian Pratt  (Read 9489 times)

Flinter

Ian Pratt
« on: March 23, 2012, 02:31:33 AM »
I noticed that Maryellen posted some photos on the contemporary Makers site of an iron mounted rifle that Ian built. I am getting where I like the iron rifles more and more.
Ian, do you mind if I ask what caliber the flintlock is.
Excellent!

Offline James

Re: Ian Pratt
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 02:35:50 AM »
I must add that I think that is a really sharp looking rifle.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 06:51:59 PM »
Pratt is one of my favorite builders. I like a buxom gun. This one rocks.  He also makes a mean woodchuck chili.

This gun is just a screamer. I love it. http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2012/03/ian-pratt-rifle.html

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 04:53:53 AM »
Recipe for woodchuck chili?

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 05:06:11 AM »
1. Load rifle

2. Kill woodchuck with rifle

3. Throw woodchuck into pot of prepared chili. Call Tom Curran and invite him over for dinner while stirring over low heat

Thanks for the kind words guys, any of you going to Dixon's this Summer that would like to check it out, I will probably be able to borrow this one to display. 

Mike it's a .54 cal rifle. I had a run on smaller caliber guns for a while there and now have a few bigger bore rifles and smoothbore guns in line, having great fun slinging some bigger lead around for a change. 

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 05:11:19 AM »
Thanks for sharing the secret family recipe, very generous! Cool rifle, too!

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 06:45:20 AM »
We're hoping for pictures and lots of descriptive stories when you're out here this summer. Don't really expect the gun to make such a long trip. Just you!! :D :D :D

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 05:42:13 PM »
Mary Ellen Pratt is making me a hat from the woodchucks, complete with tail and four little feet. It will go with my 'Chuck Killer' rifle outfit.
Here I was at 16 with my first gun. As you see, I need a hat to complete the look. And, yes, that is a pound of powder in the keg.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Vomitus

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 09:03:40 PM »
  Can't believe you guys eat so many rodents! Squirrels,marmots,muskrats and possum. Don't you suthiners have deer,elk,beef,pork? Try partridges....sheesh,woodchucks?! ::)
  Acer, you're right about Ians gun,she's a winner.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 10:16:42 PM »
Rodents along with cats are the other white meat. I thought everybody knew that,

Bob Roller

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 01:56:50 AM »
Ian, Maybe fixin Woodchuck ( or any other tasty rodent ) chili could be a new seminar at Dixon's.  Make it a noon or 1 PM start, might be an alternative to the burger truck. You could throw in a little southern mountain rifle talk just to keep us focused .

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 03:45:37 AM »
Here I was at 16 with my first gun.
Tom,
Nice shirt, but you sure ain't no Paul Teutil.  ::)  Your guns lack the proper architecture.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Meteorman

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 03:52:16 AM »
Didn't see anything in that recipe that mentioned takin the hair off before throwin the varmint in the pot... that makes me nervous.... 

For my money, Ian's work is second to none.

/mike millard

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 02:34:52 AM »
Rodents along with cats are the other white meat. I thought everybody knew that,

Bob Roller

Don't know about chucks, they'd all drown around here, but muskrat sure ain't nobody's white meat!
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Flinter

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 08:38:18 PM »

1. Load rifle

2. Kill woodchuck with rifle

3. Throw woodchuck into pot of prepared chili. Call Tom Curran and invite him over for dinner while stirring over low heat

Thanks for the kind words guys, any of you going to Dixon's this Summer that would like to check it out, I will probably be able to borrow this one to display. 

Mike it's a .54 cal rifle. I had a run on smaller caliber guns for a while there and now have a few bigger bore rifles and smoothbore guns in line, having great fun slinging some bigger lead around for a change. 

Now that I know it is a 54 caliber, the rifle went from a 10 to a 12. (off the chart)

I am not going to get into the conversation of what I have cooked and ate.
Just remember... I am from south Arkansas.

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 04:19:10 AM »
The hair floats to the top :P

Centershot

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 10:07:37 PM »
#@!! $#@* what a beautiful rifle, and you guys are cracking me up!
Cat? Hmmm, mine has been getting on my nerves lately, hmmm..........

JB2

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 06:38:43 PM »
I thought the other white meat was armadillo.  Its a delicacy in some places, often called 'possum on the half-shell'.  Sweet rifle too.