Author Topic: Where did all the horns come from?  (Read 23956 times)

Offline Luke MacGillie

Re: Where did all the horns come from?
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2012, 01:42:10 AM »
Good luck and keep your head down! We may not always I agree but I do appreciate your posts.....

yea, it would be so much easier to disagree if we were not so alike in other things that folks argue about :D

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2012, 10:18:06 PM »
Well Dave,

We didn't find out where all the horns came from, but we have plenty of info on how many powder horns there were.

Randy
American Mountain Men #1393

zimmerstutzen

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2012, 03:42:30 AM »
Pa Archives provides the tax lists of some townships for 1700's.   For instance Jacob Doub of Salford Township Montgomery County Maryland had 50 acres and only 2 cattle.  No horses or sheep.

Cattle for beef didn't appear to be very high on the priority lists.  Perhaps as beasts of burden, but the lists don't indicate any cattle barons.

http://files.usgwarchives.net/pa/bucks/taxlist/1779-rockhill2.txt

Considering that cattle have an 11 month gestation period, and farmers wanting beasts of burden wouldn't want the hassle of keeping a bull.     It seems that there wouldn't be enough cattle to produce a single animal for slaughter per household per year.   Several of my ancestors are listed on this list.  For instance Henry Freed had 9 children.  He had more cattle than both,but still the numbers are way down to support slaughter for meat.

According to one of the Civil War specials I watched a few months ago, pork was actually the most prevalent meat until the 1860's, when beef surpassed pork in use.   Hams could be cured and kept for months.  

I suspect wild game, and lesser animals provided the table protein.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 03:46:30 AM by zimmerstutzen »

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2012, 05:13:13 PM »
We didn't find out where all the horns came from, but we have plenty of info on how many powder horns there were.
Randy,
Take it a step further.  Where did a guy get his horn in the first place?  He buys a gun from a gunmaker who also supplies him with a mold, measure, and cleaning accessories.  He still can't shoot it.  He needs powder and something to carry it in, lead for his mold, and a bag to carry all his stuff in.  You never see any of these items in gunsmith inventories, so where did they come from?

Are there horner or bagmaker inventories that list quantities of these items.  Maybe they exist but I've never seen one.  Were there itinerant wagon peddlers who bought items in the big cities and traveled to outlying settlements to supply items?  Where are the inventories of these persons?  How did all these things get to remote settlements?  Were they stored in the blockhouse for distribution for the common good?  Somebody needs to research this and write a book on it.  Lots of suppositions with no documentation.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline James

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2012, 09:43:10 PM »

Considering that cattle have an 11 month gestation period, and farmers wanting beasts of burden wouldn't want the hassle of keeping a bull.     It seems that there wouldn't be enough cattle to produce a single animal for slaughter per household per year.   Several of my ancestors are listed on this list.  For instance Henry Freed had 9 children.  He had more cattle than both,but still the numbers are way down to support slaughter for meat.

I suspect wild game, and lesser animals provided the table protein.

The gestation for cattle is 283 days, or 9 months and change, horses have an 11 month gestation.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

zimmerstutzen

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2012, 10:25:48 PM »
Thanks for some reason I thought it was the same as horses.   I buy my cattle as calves and raise them.  Never went through a "calving" with any.  I'm beginning to wonder if "harry", the bull I got for my angus girls, has something wrong with his "spark"

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2012, 08:41:53 PM »
Here in GA it is more profitable to raise and sell the hay rather than adding the hassle of care and feeding of the Angus and then passing the hay to the market as beef.............
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2012, 01:29:31 AM »
I have the difinative answer on where did all the horns come from. They came from cows. Im sorry. I have been waiting for weeks to post this. All joking aside, I think that most every rural family kept cows, if only a few. My roots go back to Gibson, Ga. and as a small child I remember that all the rural  and some small town dwellers kept a cow. The ratio was just about one cow per person. It might have been that way 200 yaers ago.
Eric Smith

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2012, 06:10:17 AM »
Bull!   :D
Andover, Vermont

zimmerstutzen

« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2012, 12:18:42 AM »
Yes in the rural early 1900s and late 1800's many families kept a milk cow.   

But the tax lists for Colonial Pennsylvania show that the cattle were kept primarily in even numbers.  Even when there were no horses.  That I suspect shows that the cattle kept were draft animals,,,Oxen or sometimes called Bullocks.