Author Topic: Patchbox release  (Read 5840 times)

Offline Rich N.

• Starting Member
Patchbox release
« on: March 25, 2012, 11:07:49 PM »
While at the Baltimore Gun Show last weekend, I looked at a rifle that looked a lot like a rifle from the Upper Susquehanna region.  It was signed "W.L." although I am fairly certain that it was not made by William Laudenslager or William Long.  It was a flintlock rifle that had only one screw holding the lockplate to the gun, so it is possible that it wasn't built as a flintlock.  What was most interesting to me was the way the patchbox lid opened.  You had to press on the side panel of the patchbox where it met the butt plate.  There was no button or any indication that you had to press there - but when you did, the patchbox lid opened.

Has anyone ever seen this type of release, and if so, where was the gun from?  I've spent a week looking through various sources for a release of this type, but thus far I've been unable to find anything like it.

Rich
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 11:09:20 PM by Rich N. »

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Re: Patchbox release
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 11:46:56 PM »
Rich, I know I've seen this before, but for the life of me I can;t remember where or when.  Hopefully someone can offer better information!
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 12:08:52 AM »
Seen some Virginia Guns have this, also seen some Virginia Rifles where you released the patchbox lid by pushing the patchbox lid hinge. I guess this added a lil mystique to the rifle.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 12:10:29 AM by Avlrc »

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 12:44:25 AM »
The Henry Derringer pictured in the museum has a hidden release in the side plate.  Didn't Simon Miller use one also?   I have run across a few just can't remember who the makers were.  JIM
JIM

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 05:01:54 AM »
This patchbox release method is fairly common on Bedford County Rifles. You push on the upper corner of the top sideplate, by the butt plate and the lid opens. It was used elsewhere, perhaps on some York or Maryland guns. It's tidy way to regulate the PB and unless you know how it is done, it provides a small measure of security for contents in the box.
Dick

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 06:01:47 PM »
   I just worked on a Peter White that used this patchbox release   A variation was used by Frederick Sell in the form of rectangle that you pushed at the very rear of the sidplate---same inside mechanism just not hidden by the side plate.   
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline fm tim

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 06:25:29 PM »
See Peter Alexander's book "The Gunsmith of Grenvills County", pages 253 through 269.

It includes diagrams of releases by Armstrong, Schreyer, Sell, Beyer, and Lauck.  The second Armstrong release (Alexander's supposition of mechanism) uses pressure on a decorative button in the upper patchbok sideplate near the butt plate.  According to Alexander, Schriver used something similar. That mechanism could be easily modified to use pressure on the sideplate itself.

"Recreating the American Longrifle" on Page 112 diagrams the sideplate release also.  The similarity is not accidental because Alexander was a co-author of the "Recreating..." book.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 10:35:34 PM »
Yes ...these releases contributed to the damaging of some old patchboxes that the inheriter pryed open
because they didn't know how to open it up.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 10:36:41 PM by Rob Watt (suzkat) »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Spotz

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 02:59:05 AM »
Rich:  I saw one on a Slaysman rifle that was likely built after his relocation to Indiana, PA.  I suspect that you could find this feature in Mifflin County and Perry County.  How about someone in Perry County with the initials "WL"? 

greybeard

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 03:34:48 AM »
I have used this hidden release on four of my guns. I always worry a bit about someone takeing a screw driver to them sometime down the road. Sorry. the pics are a bit fuzzy.

image hosting api

https image
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 02:50:27 AM by greybeard »

GrampaJack

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 03:13:32 AM »
Rich, here is a gun that has the release you are looking for. I posted more pictures quite a long time ago but I can't find them. I think Nord or one of the other guys posted them for me.  The box opens by pushing on the top side plate at the very back and on the bottom edge of the plate. The guys are right, I nearly did some damage getting the box open the first time and I actually found it by accident. We never did figure out the origin of the gun but, as you can see from the photo, there is a large script "D" that is all that remains. About 4" of the breach was cut and the barrel moved back probably at the time of conversion. Perhaps if someone remembers where the original pictures are they can bring that post back up. Thanks, Jack

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 03:15:39 AM by GrampaJack »

Offline Rich N.

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 03:48:34 AM »
Thanks for all of the comments (and pictures) on this topic.  I really appreciate all of the insight provided here.  I never saw this type of resease before -at least not that I tried to open.  I am guessing from the comments that it was used in various areas.

Rich

GrampaJack

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 05:24:33 PM »
Before we leave the topic, do any of the gun makers mentioned have a first name beginning with "D" or an associated patch box that resembles mine. Just wondering. Thanks, Jack