Author Topic: Muley Flintlock Pistol  (Read 3361 times)

Offline gibster

Muley Flintlock Pistol
« on: March 25, 2012, 11:45:44 PM »
I have a flintlock pistol that is signed on the lock "Muley".  I found a reference in Gardners Small Arms Makers for a Mulley in Dublin Ireland in 1760. Don't know if it is the same guy or not.  Also found a reference on the internet for a D Muley in Dublin in 1802/3 as a gunsmith.  Probably the same guy.  Does anyone have any further info on this maker?  The pistol has a 8 3/4-inch barrel and mikes to a .55 caliber (smooth).  There are some proof marks at the breech.  Here are a few pictures.  Any info would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 01:42:33 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Steve Collward

Re: Muley Flintlock Pistol
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 01:38:08 AM »
Gibster:   A. Merwyn Carey's "English, Irish, and Scottish Firearms Makers" cites Muley having a shop in Dublin, Ireland and working between 1760-1795.

Offline Niall

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 12:36:36 PM »
Gibster

I know this is a very old tread but  I see you're still pretty active here.

Daniel Muley,Gunmaker,Dublin;

44,Great Ship St.   1785-1893
28,Parliament St.   1794-1811
32,Townsend St.    1812-1827
92,Townsend St.    1827-

He made travelling pistols,duelling pistols,brass barrelled blunderbusses,b/barrelled b/buss pistols etc.
1803 was a very eventful year for Daniel.He was commissioned to supply  400 pistol caliber short muskets or carbines  and in a well documented,somewhat connected incident was arrested and detained in arduous conditions for 3 years under martial law ,although never charged.

There was a Walter Muley,Christchurch Lane recorded in 1782 but I think Daniel is your man.

I don't know if you still have this pistol but a few photos would be appreciated.

Niall
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 08:38:31 PM by Niall »

Offline gibster

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 11:45:43 PM »
Niall - I wish I still had that pistol. The guy that I had bought it from had a rifle that I wanted, but in order to get the rifle, I had to trade the pistol back to him.  One of his kids wanted it when he departed this world. So he has the pistol back and I now have the rifle.  I still have a few pictures of the pistol that I can share.

Offline Niall

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 01:01:10 AM »
Gibster.

Thanks for those photos.It's a very nice earlier example of Daniel Muley's work. It has some interesting features including the trigger guard finial and what are, no doubt, proof marks from a local proof house, two crown over P marks and  struck contrary to the usual direction. Also the fore end cap is unusual? Is it brass or horn..The quality of this pistol is a bit above the average.Daniel seems to have made to a range of qualities but seems always to have had a restrained style.BTW,are there any registration marks on this pistol.

Here's a pair of more workaday Muley  coat/travelling pistols that I own.A bit later as well, c.1810 ,with the name stamped rather than engraved;

[/ur

One is due for a bit of restoration when I get around to it.Like most pairs of pistols you find ,one  has had  more use than the other.
Not often they stay together either.

Good story on the horse trading in the ALR world,sometimes you've got to give a bit...........nice to talk with you.

Niall

Offline gibster

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 04:43:31 PM »
Thanks for sharing pictures of your pistols.  The nose cap and the ram rod tip are horn on this one.  Hated to get rid of it, but sometimes it's the only way to get something else.  The pistol is about 15 miles from me, so I still get to see it whenever I want which is nice.