Author Topic: FRIENDSHIP  (Read 17844 times)

Offline James

Re: FRIENDSHIP
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2012, 07:25:43 PM »
The more I look at the specifics, the more enjoyable it appears.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2012, 07:58:42 PM »
I don't know if the unwillingness to accept modern muzzle loaders had anything to do with that membership loss or not. I heard something about the buckskinners getting slighted somehow and I will inquire to a reliable source of info about that one. One thing is sure,the primitive range and camp isn't anything near what it once was. Today's wretched economy and so many good paying jobs vanished into the black holes of China plus the high (by U.S.standards)price of fuels has to be a big factor. I remember seeing vehicles with plates from the far West of both the USA and Canada but no more. I am in West Virginia and only 180 miles from Friendship so with the decent mileage our car gets,it's an easy drive.
Most cars and truck I see there now are Ohio,Indiana,Illinois,Tennessee and some few from Michigan. A lot of the dealers no longer are there either due to passing away or their profits being killed by preposterous rental for a booth PLUS the fuel costs.
Getting back to the supposed unwillingness about modern muzzle loaders,Tom Schiffer,a former NMLRA President said "If it has to be loaded from the muzzle,we'll represent it".
Those guns are here to stay thanks to no history being taught in school today and at least one generation of young people who have no knowledge of anything that happened before noon yesterday.

Bob Roller

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2012, 12:39:21 AM »
I am wanting to go but am not sure if June will work out. I have never shot there before.  I am also apprehensive about shooting in a match.  I am afraid my CVA .50 carbine would not fit in many classes or do well with a 24 inch barrel. 

Offline Charlie B

• fcibarrels
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2012, 02:48:57 PM »
You won't have any problem with finding something to shoot with your CVA. Also the 2012 program is on www. NMLRA.org, it lists everything avalible to shoot and do in June. Good people, Good fun!!
Charlie

Offline trentOH

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2012, 02:09:37 AM »
I am wanting to go but am not sure if June will work out. I have never shot there before.  I am also apprehensive about shooting in a match.  I am afraid my CVA .50 carbine would not fit in many classes or do well with a 24 inch barrel. 

DON'T be afraid! There are some of the finest shooters in the world there. And there are some of the nicest shooters in the world there. Nobody is going to snicker at a new shooter on the line with a factory rifle. I made a friend there who shows up every year with a hawken style rifle painted in blotch camoflage. He just shoots, does a little better every year, and has a good time.

There is a match called "Off the Shelf", which is for unaltered factory rifles only. Not too many people shoot it, the target's scoring rings are big, and high scores are probable. Give it a try!

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2012, 05:41:56 AM »
I will check into it. 

Thanks, Tom

Offline Kermit

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2012, 06:56:29 AM »

Those guns are here to stay thanks to no history being taught in school today and at least one generation of young people who have no knowledge of anything that happened before noon yesterday.

Bob Roller

WHAT? Now we blame the schools for the decline of muzzleloading? Come ON, get REAL, man!!! You sure know how to anger a retired educator. Next thing I'll be banned from ranges because of my former profession, because, hey, I'm the problem? Come get my NMLRA card, Bob...
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2012, 03:09:23 PM »
IF youngsters are not being taught the honest history of their country for whatever reason,you're right,I do blame the education systems of all 50 states AND their boards of educaton. There IS a reason our students now rank 25th on a world wide comparison. In case you haven't noticed,it's called the dumbing down of America and it helped set in place a President who is no friend of freedom.
An interest must be stimulated in order for any firearms related hobby to flourish and history as it relates to firearms isn't being taught unless you want to count horror stories like Columbine and others.
Nobody is going to ban you from the range because of your former profession but I am laying the blame at the feet of those who decide what will and will not be taught and put the burden on you to teach it.

Bob Roller (My complete name)

Offline Kermit

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2012, 06:00:39 PM »
I'm amazed. I've never before had a conversation with someone who has such complete knowledge of all 50 states' education systems and their boards of education. You don't know me, you don't know my education and training nor my experience, nor do you know the recognition and awards I received for my work as an educator. I seriously doubt you've ever had a conversation with any of my former colleagues or my students.

If you share my feelings that the children of America need better educational opportunities, start by learning a bit about what works in this country and others(read the mountains of "best practices" research), then start working for the future of this country, rather than writing it off as you seem willing to do. Reread the part of your statement I quoted. After reflecting on those words, tell me if you are willing to stand by that statement in its entirety, both connotatively and denotatively. I'll tell you I find it flawed and absurd.

Since you seem to have no willingness to show the least respect for my life's work, I feel no need to tell you my "complete name." You seem to imply some defect in my character for failing to include my surname in my posts.

Now, how's about we get back to the purpose this site was founded for: the sharing of information related to the building, ownership, and use of traditional muzzleloading firearms, and not the dissemination if unsubstantiated blanket criticism of education and educators in America. I'd be glad to stop this inappropriate discussion with this immature comment: you injected it into this thread first.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Dave K

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2012, 06:03:41 PM »
Boys, Boys! Don't turn this into political debate or point a finger at someone's vocation. We all have a responsibility to our children to teach them. If you feel they are not getting what they need at school, see your students teacher to find out why. If you are not doing that, then it is your fault. A president who is not a friend of Freedom? I think he used our Seals and other systems we have in place to at least keep some of our freedoms free. One person of interest was executed, one became fish food. Before you jump on me about my politics, I am just reporting what I see on the news. Besides, there has been more guns sold in this Presidential term, because of some obvious reasons. Gun owners/buyers fear him or he has not found a way to stop the sales. Because of our freedoms. Our freedoms are being sent overseas in the name of jobs. Without jobs, you can't have freedoms. Tell that to the next CEO that takes our stimulus money and spends it on new factories overseas and your job went there as well.

Back to Friendship, where this belongs. Though I have never shot at Friendship, it is one heck of a learning experience in either what can be bought, what can be made, where to get it and how to shoot it all in one place. If you like our history and what to keep it alive, support the organizations that keep our history alive.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2012, 07:40:04 PM »
Thanks Dave.   Smylee

Lutes

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2012, 02:53:55 AM »
I have been going since 1969. Have seen and learned a lot by going to FS. But most of all I have made a lot of friends there that will last a life time. Wouldnt miss it for anything. Looking forward to going.

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2012, 05:25:35 AM »
I have never been to Friendship or any other Black Powder shoot.  I have an ohio style percussion .45 caliber rifle that I would like to bring and shoot.  I got it last March and have only had it out a couple of times.  Being new to Black Powder, I don't have the period garments either.  Will they allow someone in jeans and a T-Shirt shoot at this shoot?  I am thinking about the first Saturday or maybe the second - depends on when my daughter, son in law and grandkids head back to South Dakota. 

Offline Skychief

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2012, 06:40:25 AM »
Where what ya have Don, there's a place for you.  Have FUN!

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2012, 06:48:55 AM »
Jeans and T shirt,bib overalls,stovepipe hats or whatever else you might like to wear is OK. Me,I prefer T shirts and cargo pants.
Come on out and take a look.It has the atmosphere of a county fair,junk swap,flea market and Schuetzenfest all rolled up together. An enjoyable experience for sure.

Bob Roller

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2012, 04:45:54 PM »
Thanks.  I really hope to make it over.

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2012, 05:59:46 PM »
In the "off the shelf" category,  does replacing the sights affect the my ability to enter in that category?

chapmans

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2012, 09:29:24 PM »
TMerkley,
  Yes that would DQ the gun it must be like the name implies "off the shelf" no changes to the gun allowed, also it is an open sight match, but that includes pretty much all factory guns.
  Regards, Steve

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2012, 03:25:06 AM »
This is what I plan on bringing , ,

nosrettap1958

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2012, 04:26:13 PM »
Wow Don that is a beautiful rifle. Can we get some specifics please?

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2012, 12:15:28 AM »
Ron Gueldner from Oregon built this rifle, green mountain barrel 13/16 across the flats .45 cal., Hand made nose cap pewter, L&R lock percussion (jeweled and tuned), double set triggers, highly figured curly maple stock, his own stain and hand rubbed finish. Hickory ram road spiral line wood burn marks  Shoots better than my capabilities at the moment.  The more I practice  the better I will get.  Ron test fired it for round ball and also ran maxi ball load (for deer) The target for thisload showed all holes touching 50 yards.  Ron is one heck of a shooter too.  I couldn't afford all the brass and carvings that I see on other guns, but this thing shoots and for what I can afford - I am really happy.

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2012, 01:28:17 AM »
Mike, shoot anyway, the only way you should be embarsed is if you expect to and tell everyone that you will win. Just shoot to have a good time and just try to beat your self, that is out shoot your best personal scores.   Smylee

Dittto, I agree.
Eric Smith