Author Topic: old patching  (Read 2632 times)

Offline smylee grouch

old patching
« on: May 24, 2012, 06:17:11 AM »
Went shooting this evening and tried some old patching that I found from about 4 years ago. The stuff was about 18/19 thousands and lubed with wonder lube bear lard mix. Tried loading the stuff and it just disentigrated on loading what I thought was a not too tight of ball-patch combo. It was 100% cotton denim that I had used befor with no problems. Has this happened to anyone else? Does the fabric break down after a certain period of time or am I dealing with something else?    I switched to 20/1000 teflon that was 3 years old and had real good groups.   Smylee

Offline Habu

Re: old patching
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 06:37:27 AM »
 It happens.  The lube is probably good short-term (maybe a year or two), but over time something in it causes the fabric to deteriorate. 

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 03:25:01 PM »
I also have had old lubed patches go bad.  Like Huba said, I believe the lube does breaks down the fabric over time.  I mostly just spit patch now and only lube enough patches for when I'm out hunting where that load may be in the barrel for days or even weeks.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 04:55:38 PM »
Bear Lard well it got rotten/rotted!

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 02:48:14 AM »
Just about any of the lubes we use will break down the fabric over time if kept damp. the water based ones just dry out before rotting the cloth - generally, but not always.