Author Topic: Central Ohio woodswalk  (Read 7233 times)

Offline b bogart

Central Ohio woodswalk
« on: March 26, 2012, 12:54:44 AM »
Today our club held a woodswalk. Only 10 targets so far, but plans to go up to 20????
10 participants, all had fun! We are going to expand this woodswalk into a monthly event once we get the targets made and set and some of the bugs worked out. It was a beautiful day in the woods!

This post is especially for Mr Fisher. I know he likes to hear about club shoots. We are trying to get it going Roger!!!

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: Central Ohio woodswalk
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 03:10:56 AM »
10 shooters not a bad start. Was it a blanket shoot?  How do you break a tie?   Longest shot and/or longest string? 'Our'  clubs down here get between 20 and 35 or so shooters for nothing but a blanket shoot and we see shooters then that we don't see for the rest of the year.  Go figure.  Photos if available?

Offline b bogart

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 03:40:41 AM »
No prizes, no nothing yet. First outing. No camera this time but I'll work on that. We will improve. This was a trial run to see where improvements need to be made. I'm trying Roger I'm trying ;D
Oh and ties???? Ha most were lucky to hit 2-3 targets, the competition wasn't what you'd call tough! :D

The other DWS

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 03:42:46 AM »
I've never done one of these "woods walks" with a gun.  done a lot with traditional archery equipment though.   When you lay one out what/how do you set of backstops for safety

Offline b bogart

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 03:53:00 AM »
Our club has a ridge that runs along the back of the property, so everything is shot into a bank of sorts. Also we have a good bit of downed timber and some is in piles (from some logging) and it is an extra saftey feature. Ours is strictly a straight line walk shooting all one direction into the hill.

The other DWS

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 04:50:18 AM »
what distances to you shoot and what are the targets?

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 04:57:14 AM »
Sounds like fun bogie.
I live in central Ohio. Which club was shooting a woods walk?
I have only shoot in two woods walk, but they are my favorite.
I would like to join in the fun.
Marc

Offline b bogart

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 06:20:39 AM »
Hey Marc, we are just north of Lancaster. It's the Central Ohio Coonhunters Association. You are certainly welcome on the 4th Sunday of each month. We'd enjoy the company!!! PM me your postal address and I'll see that you get a flier!

Targets are swinging metal gongs set at varying distances from 20 to 100 yards, in the woods, thru the briars etc. Just like a hunting situation, only with harrassment from your fellow shooters!

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 05:15:27 PM »
Sounds like fun bogie.
I live in central Ohio. Which club was shooting a woods walk?
I have only shoot in two woods walk, but they are my favorite.
I would like to join in the fun.
Marc

There ya go Bogie, it's catching on already.

MeatStick

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 09:13:29 PM »
Heck, thats only an hour from me. Whens the next one?

Offline b bogart

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 09:57:27 PM »
22nd of April. We will have a few more targets placed by then (hopefully up to a dozen) and a few novelty targets on the range. If you all want to come, please do! We usually start shooting at 1pm. Hopefully it will evolve into a blanket shoot type situation. Good old boys (young too) having fun! Wait  there was a daughter of one of the guys shooting too. I didn't dare shoot in that group :D I em barass myself enough!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:01:19 PM by bogie »

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 10:55:29 PM »
Sounds interesting.  I've never done a woodswalk and I am new to muzzleloading I have an Ohio style .45 percussion rifle.  Will you be doing a shoot in June and July?  I haven't been to that location in years - maybe 1991?  I live near Dayton, my family is from Circleville area. If you could email me with the schedule and location of the club grounds, I would like to attend.

Thanks,

Don

Offline b bogart

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 03:29:04 AM »
I'm sure we will in July. Now that the leaves are full out we have a bunch of grooming to do. I'll post here when I have a date/time locked in.

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 05:26:07 AM »
Thank Bruce, I will be looking for your post.

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 03:28:58 AM »
This is what I plan on bringing to shoot.  ,,,

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 07:12:30 PM »
Bruce;

This is just my opinion, but long woods walks, with lots of targets, have their drawbacks. dirty guns, and fatigue, all contribute to accidents. I like about twenty stations maximum on a woods walk, and then only after you have run a few events. You do need other events to keep the crowd out of the jug to early in the day though. The best events he had was a quail walk, for shotgunners, and trade gunners, and a running deer target reentry ( we had guys having tomorrow money to get home with this one).

Hungry Horse

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 02:25:16 AM »
Bruce,
I shot at the CoonHunters probably 30 years ago, didn't know they were coming back to life. We, Ohio Valley Muzzleloaders, also have a woods walk outside of Centerburg. Good luck, I'll try to get down with a few of the fellows.
Mark
Mark

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 03:25:42 AM »
Mark,

When are your shoots scheduled?

Offline b bogart

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 04:02:11 AM »
Yes Mark I'm trying to ressurect another opportunity in central Ohio. Next year I'm going to try to schedule them when they do not conflict with the other shoots in the area. Fellas I think we'll be ready to go in July. I 'll get the date and time. This one maybe a blanket shoot? More info to come. Anyone interested stay tuned!!
We are going to try to have some novelty targets on the range too. 

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 04:54:38 AM »
Don,
Our next shoot is scheduled for 5/30 - 6/1. It's our Founders Day Shoot. Saturday will be a 3 shot chunk shoot and then novelties and Sunday will be a paper shoot. Everyone is welcome, come early and stay late. I'll have to post our coming shoot dates, thought I had them here but can't find them. We shoot only traditional rifles with PRB.
Mark
Mark