Author Topic: "Masterpiece Gun"  (Read 60684 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
"Masterpiece Gun"
« on: March 26, 2012, 02:29:50 AM »

This gun can be seen in person in the woods just south of Merengo Iowa the second week of April.
It is such a Masterpiece I couldn't even establish a price for it so I decided to keep it myself! ;D
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 10:58:02 PM by rich pierce »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Re: "Masterpiece Gun"
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 03:08:32 AM »
I have been a fan of your work for a while now, and this is a unique and masterful piece.  Very well done.

Coryjoe

Flinter

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 04:47:58 AM »
I am going to get me a master piece barn gun in maybe a few months.

Nice flintlock Mike

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 04:55:14 AM »
Mike,

You kill me brother.  I suppose this goes over most readers heads?

I like the gun by the way.  It's a real masterpiece.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 05:29:25 AM »
I doubt it goes over anyones head & mocking people is not funny! :'(

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 04:51:45 PM »
Here's more pics of the super dooper masterpiece gun if you're interested. I's an 11 bore with .037 jug choke, 46" barrel. Curly ash stock, no buttplate, sideplate or entry pipe.
http://www.fowlingguns.com/mikesclubbutt.html
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 04:56:01 PM »
I figure My over inflated ego is just as entertaining as anyone else's. ;)

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 05:22:17 PM »
How ever do you get your hat on?!! Frankly, I like every masterpiece I've ever met.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 08:21:10 PM »
I feel I must point out, this is all very tongue in cheek. This is a very stripped down hunting gun I built specifically for myself in less than a week for the upcomming turkey season. It is what it is.
 Maybe I'm jaded, but after building these things as a sole source of income for the past 16 years I have difficulty swallowing the term "Masterpiece" in describing ones own work, even if it was deemed so by a group of self appointed back slappers to massage their grandiose egos. I just wasn't brought up that way, conservative Midwesterner that I am.
 Building traditional muzzleloaders for 31 years tends to give one an insight as to what's hot and what's not, and as you all know I call them both ways. I believe the craftsmanship on a gun will speak for it's self with out the builder telling us what we're supposed to think of it. And I might add, I wouldn't even suggest my stuff is always hot, nor is it for everybody, but it keeps butter on my bread. ;)

Hopefully this will provoke deep thought and intelligent discussion.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 09:12:40 PM by Mike Brooks »

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 08:43:42 PM »
Looks like the perfect turkey gun to me! Any gobbler should be happy to be brought to bag with such a "masterpiece"! Pretty is as pretty does?

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 10:23:31 PM »
I was going to offer some comments but then I caught the caveat, "Hopefully this will provoke deep thought and intelligent discussion." 

Oh well - that leaves me out.

;D ;D ;D
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 12:06:26 AM »
A long  long time ago, I sat in front of my computer screen admiring a gun that E. Kettenburg had made, which if I recall correctly, had no B.P , a single thimble,was of large bore, and was painted/stained ? a dirty mustard color.  Strange, but I liked it !   Thanks for posting , Mike. I really like your gun. It looks like it handles well.

Flinter

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 01:22:03 AM »
"Hopefully this will provoke deep thought and intelligent discussion." 

The first time I saw the flintlock I thought, "Man, this gives a totally new meaning to the phrase of being up the creek without a paddle!"

Mike, I guess you can tell that sometimes I get into deep dark thoughts.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 02:26:48 AM »

Saying out loud what many of us are thinking sorta is...
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

realtorone

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 04:00:18 AM »
Mike
Looks super.Nice job hope it shoots as good as it looks

George

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 03:18:36 PM »

Saying out loud what many of us are thinking sorta is...
I've been thinking there are a whole bunch of self appointed masters & ego building back slappers in this "hobby" for years ready to self promote themselves for a buck or so. I just never have said it in public before.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 03:32:01 PM »
The late Bill Large had a novelty sign on the wall of the back porch/laundry room that said
"Them that can brag without lyin',let 'em brag".
I will never make a "masterpiece gun"or anything else but do like looking at fine work no matter what area of endeavour it represents. I have a friend in St.Louis that restored a Duesenberg car,did almost all the work himself and made it look as it did when new and not all freaked out like so many show cars are today. To me that is a fine job,to others,it is substandard.

Bob Roller

Mike R

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 04:44:02 PM »
OK, I'll bite.  Considering one's work a "masterpiece" is different from doing  a masterpiece work as a guild test.  In the old days--and even today for such organizations as the American Blade Soc--artisans passed through Apprentice, Journeyman and Master stages--to attain the latter one had to build a masterpiece work to be judged [in the modern forged blade fraternity the Journeyman must submit several pieces to be judged and if accepted, they become his masterpiece set of knives].   Sooooo, calling a rifle one made a "masterpiece" may simply be describing a judged work, and not reflect one's ego....necessarily. though one may be proud of it.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 07:05:19 PM »
Are you suggesting my ego is faulty? ;D  Guilds today as well as long ago are totally political. It isn't what you know it's who you know. I know many gunmakers who's work needs no judgement from a Guild to be far above what the guild deems worthy to join their ranks. What's more is the fact that those that are truely worthy of being called "master" don't seek the title as their egos don't require it, their work stands on it's own. Those with the  real eye to judge know who are masters and who are the pretenders.
 Those that covet the "Master" title are usually great gun decorators but poor gun builders.......something to think about. ;)

Vomitus

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 07:47:11 PM »
   All this "masterpiece" has me confused. What donates a "masterpiece" and by whom? A builders guild? A "master" builder? A friends wife? The guy next door? Not sure about all this "master" stuff. One thing I do know. There are a lot of great builders on here.Is there some kind of exam you builders take to pass from one category to another? You see,I am just a buyer of guns, I'm not a builder of guns, but would like to understand all this "master" stuff. Maybe I'll save up and buy a "masterpiece" some day...or not.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 03:02:49 AM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 07:59:26 PM »
Hmmmmm.  Well I'll tell you what, henceforth I shall designate all my guns 'masterpieces.' 

That'll be 40K, thank you very much.

:-* :-*
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 09:53:11 PM »
I don't know Leatherbelly! Must be a whole lot more about this than I am aware of, ah me, ignorance truly is bliss. ;D
Great gun Mike.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Vomitus

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 10:06:34 PM »
OK mister K, I'll take 3! ;D

Mike R

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 10:25:38 PM »
  All this "masterpiece" has me confused. What donates a "masterpiece" and by whom? A builders guild? A "master" builder? A friends wife? The guy next door? Not sure about all this "master" stuff. One thing I do know. There are a lot of great builders on here.Is there some kind of exam you builders take to pass from one category to another? You see,I am just a buyer of guns, I'm not a builder of guns, but would like to understand all this "master" stuff. Maybe I'll save up and buy a "masterpiece" some day...or not.

I think there is a difference between what, say, an art critic would term a masterpiece, what a guild or society might deem a "masterpiece" as a judged work to demonstrate a certain skill level, and what any indivdual might think of his best work to date [or ever] as being his personal masterpiece [personal best].  The term has many meanings.  I don't have a problem with the above rifle being so deemed on one of these levels, nor do I see it as a slap at anyone elses products---or a ranking within the overall set of guns being made today.  Certainly there are many Masters at work now and many masterpieces being turned out today...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 03:04:12 AM by Dennis Glazener »

Flinter

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 11:01:10 PM »

Back in the late 70 I bought a Lyman Hawhen kit. I spent hours and hours fitting the tang, lock, butt plate, and trigger. The wood to metal fit was so good that Jim Kibler would proud. The browning turned out fine, and the rifle was extremely accurate. I worked and worked and worked on the set triggers. When the rifle was set and fired, the hammer caught in the half cock notch.

The rifle went from a masterpiece to a trotline weight. That was the end of my gun building.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 03:04:31 AM by Dennis Glazener »