Author Topic: "Masterpiece Gun"  (Read 60677 times)

Offline JDK

Re: "Masterpiece Gun"
« Reply #125 on: May 01, 2012, 04:40:01 PM »
Mike,  I'll help!

Some get it, some don't and that is the way it will always be.....especially when some have allowed themselves to get emotional over the subject.

This thread, or the criticism on the original thread for that matter, has never been about fancy vs. plain, brand new vs. aged/beat up.....it is about the architecture of the gun.  Some have pointed out that they like the fancy or don't but the root of the criticism has been consistant.....at least from Mr. Brooks....and his allies.

It's the whole "sow's ear into silk purse" thing.  Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Flinter

« Reply #126 on: May 01, 2012, 05:11:22 PM »
Post count  ;D

"It's the whole "sow's ear into silk purse" thing."

I think Mike Brooks builds some nice flintlocks. Can he call them what he likes? I would say so.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #127 on: May 01, 2012, 06:48:25 PM »
Mike,  I'll help!

Some get it, some don't and that is the way it will always be.....especially when some have allowed themselves to get emotional over the subject.

This thread, or the criticism on the original thread for that matter, has never been about fancy vs. plain, brand new vs. aged/beat up.....it is about the architecture of the gun.  Some have pointed out that they like the fancy or don't but the root of the criticism has been consistant.....at least from Mr. Brooks....and his allies.

It's the whole "sow's ear into silk purse" thing.  Enjoy, J.D.
Ding ding ding ding! JD gets a medal! ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #128 on: May 01, 2012, 06:51:35 PM »
Post count  ;D

I think Mike Brooks builds some nice flintlocks. Can he call them what he likes? I would say so.

I just call my stuff guns. It's up to those that see them to decide their merits or lack there of. I'm certainly not going to dictate what anyone should think of my work by labeling it anything else but a gun.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

jimc2

« Reply #129 on: May 01, 2012, 07:31:12 PM »
Best statement yet atta way Mike. Hope 6000 gets here soon.

Flinter

« Reply #130 on: May 01, 2012, 10:46:12 PM »
Post count  ;D

I just call my stuff guns. It's up to those that see them to decide their merits or lack there of. I'm certainly not going to dictate what anyone should think of my work by labeling it anything else but a gun.

Well Mike, it looks like your thread has reached 6000. I hope I'm not changing the subject or anything, but I call my stuff guns too. WB Selbs is building me a .62 caliber Hawken. I think I am going to have Snow Flake engraved on the lock plate. This is named after a girl I met called Snowy.

Anyway...

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #131 on: May 02, 2012, 01:21:00 AM »
6000! YEA! ;D

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #132 on: May 02, 2012, 03:49:40 AM »
Is this thread what ALR is all about?  I hope not.
Then you don't understand. I'm curious, what do YOU think it's about?

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #133 on: May 02, 2012, 03:31:17 PM »
Time to move on to a new topic. 

Valid threads may also be locked if, in the opinion of the administrator(s) or moderator(s), the thread is running badly off topic, straying into a prohibited area, or running on beyond that which is useful to the membership.

Failure only comes when you stop trying.