Author Topic: black powder availability  (Read 5004 times)

The other DWS

black powder availability
« on: March 26, 2012, 09:39:14 PM »
What brands/types of real BP suitable for our rifles are currently available in the US?

I'm reading the "MadMonkReports" as suggested, and there are a number of brands mentioned that I have not seen.  It appears than Mr. Kennedy put them together some years ago.  Perhaps some of the mfgs have folded (or exploded) in the intervening time and new ones have entered the market.

Offline ehoff

Re: black powder availability
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 11:30:06 PM »
I'm sure there are others but the ones I can think of off the top of my head are.

Goex, made in the USA

Swiss, made in  Switzerland

Shutzen, made in Germany

GRAF, made in ?

Elephant, made in China

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 11:53:25 PM »
  And, a company called Jacks Powder Keg sells a GOEX produced powder that is labelled "Jack's Battle Powder."   It's the same granule size as 3F, but doesn't have the graphite glazing.  Originally marketed to re-enactors, Muzzleloader magazine ran an article on the stuff about a year or two ago on it's use as a propellant in rifles and tradeguns, and didn't find anything really wrong with it.  (The hint was that it might even clean up easier without the glazing.)

Powderinc still lists KIK and Diamondback powders for sale, too.   Diamondback is made in a re-worked plant south of the border somewhere, maybe Brazil, if memory serves.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 02:18:01 AM »
The equip that made the Elephant in Brazil was moved there to another location If it's producing white lightning or powder or???? have no clue.

The other DWS

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 02:37:58 AM »
In one of his addendum reports Mad Monk commented on the history of Elephant and what might be the current production.  The original longtime, and eventually pretty good, Elephant and the current are as about related as current GOEX is to DuPont---about as closely as I am related to William the Conqueror.

His reports are really technical and in some areas way over my head, but he gives REALLY great historical background, well documented, about the whole sporting BP business.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 08:15:01 PM »
I think I have read in past years about black powder from China,perhaps posted by New Zealanders that said the stuff was about the same as powders used in fireworks. Maye some one from NZ can clarify this.I know there is at least one of them on this forum.

Bob Roller

northmn

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 08:36:59 PM »
Graf's is German.  There is also KIK.  My experience has revolved around Graf's (which is a good powder for the money) GOEX which is the most available, and Swiss which is more expensive but excellent.  Swiss seems to be the powder for long range BP cartridge sompetition and one shotgun shooter likes it because it delivers more velocity for the same load (seems to in rifles also)  My 25 gives about 75 -100 fps more velocity with GOEX over Graf's but Grafs seems to foul less.  I use Grafs in the 25 because it works OK with my use on squirrels as the 1680 fps it delivers is plenty adequate.  I like Swiss in my deer rifles.  Sot a lot of GOEX and it was also a good powder.

DP

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 02:00:22 AM »
I think I have read in past years about black powder from China,perhaps posted by New Zealanders that said the stuff was about the same as powders used in fireworks. Maye some one from NZ can clarify this.I know there is at least one of them on this forum.

Bob Roller
Dragon powder I do believe kinda snuck into US of A 3 or so yrs ago I recall one shooter using it w/o much success, of course he could have been the cause.  Recall a yellow can  with red printing...  ;)

Offline Acorn Mush

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 06:01:11 AM »
I'm sure there are others but the ones I can think of off the top of my head are.

Goex, made in the USA

Shutzen, made in Germany

GRAF, made in ?

Elephant, made in China

Both Schuetzen and Graf's powder is (or was) made by Wano in Germany.
Consectatio pro excellentia in mediocris

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 03:07:59 AM »

Goex, made in the USA

Shutzen, made in Germany

GRAF, made in ?

Elephant, made in China

Elephant was made in Brazil.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

William Worth

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 05:02:23 PM »
Add "Diamondback" to the list...Brazil...

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 05:43:04 PM »
In my guns Swiss is hotter than du Pont

never used GOEX - hiatus in shooting

I personally like real black gunpowder, made with potassium nitrate, sulfur and charcoal. ~700 years' experience can't be beat.

The other DWS

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 06:47:57 PM »
the blackpowder industry is volatile, in more ways than one ;D 
 It seems like the financial side of it is pretty fragile and the sporting portion of the market is pretty small.  It appears than a number of mfgs have come and gone, names have been bought sold and transferred on a fairly regular basis.  Importers and distributors of foreign-made powder may be bringing in it in in bulk and repackaging it under various names. or having it private labeled by the maker.  Garf's/Wano may be a a case in point.

According to the MM reports:  KIK was made in Yugoslavia.  If it is still available, it may be new-old stock, or maybe one to the former Yugo-republics has picked up the factory and reactivated it.   China has a huge BP industry, mostly for mining, military, and pyrotechnics. some was brought in under dubious circumstances at one time, in spite of along standing ban on chinese military stuff.  It was apparently repackages fireworks powder and pretty poor quality for sporting use.  Since the time MM wrote those reports the situation could have changed,  China certainly is capable of producing sporting grade powder. whether it can be legally imported, or if there is a big enough market to make it profitable for the Chinese government to do, probably remains to be seen.