Author Topic: Gahagan Masterpiece on the blog today  (Read 4553 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Gahagan Masterpiece on the blog today
« on: March 27, 2012, 03:49:01 PM »
Another Great gun from Ken. He has rapidly risen to one of my favorite builders. ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
Re: Gahagan Masterpiece on the blog today
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 04:01:31 PM »
How's that trigger guard held on in front? Does it just go thru a hole & is held on with the 2 rear screws?

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 04:37:55 PM »
His pieces are really incredible, aren't they?  I love them!  Absolute masterpieces indeed!!!   ;D ;D ;D
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 08:19:08 PM »
This particular gun deserves some study as it is quite an artistic statement with a bare minimum of decoration. It is aesthetically spot on, beautiful architecture, color and texture. It truly begs to be picked up and examined. Far more deserving of note than any modern guild gun I have seen.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Flinter

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 11:07:41 PM »
Man...so little time and so little money. Don't ya just wish you could live 900 years!

Nice looking flintlock Ken.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 03:46:55 AM »
A most beautiful/ugly lock.  I like Keb want to know how the guard is fixed..  What a great gun.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 03:46:46 PM »
A most beautiful/ugly lock.  I like Keb want to know how the guard is fixed..  What a great gun.

Bill

.........may be held in place via a bent tab under the trigger plate and fastened by a screw........

Offline k gahagan

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 02:37:35 AM »
Thank you for all of your positive comments. This Fowler was a lot of fun to make. I've enjoyed getting on this site for quite awhile and finally registered. There were several questions about the unusual trigger guard setup. First this is patterened after an original. The way I installed the hand forged guard was to forge the front of the guard into a tapered square. an undersize hole was drilled in the proper location. The tapered post was heated with a propane touch and while hot pushed into the hole to it's proper location. This is the same way you would do a knife tang. Two screws in the rear rail of the guard securely hold the guard in place. It's interested that the original looks like the guard was nailed in place even though the screw securing the barrel tang comes up from the bottom under the trigger bow.