Author Topic: How Close to Set Target for Sights  (Read 3084 times)

hoyt

How Close to Set Target for Sights
« on: March 28, 2012, 07:51:25 PM »
I think my front sight is off on my turkey gun and want to check it with reduced loads and set the target as close as I can to get a true reading on the sight.

I'm shooting No. 6 lead shot and have a good load for out to 35 yds., but it's hard for me to get a true reading at that distance due to shooting errors.

Anybody got any ideas on this? I'm trying to do it in the least amount of shots as possible due to I hate cleaning this  20ga. Turkey Choke Barrel and I want a clean barrel for first shot. Not only that I was just checking the prices on lead shot.

Thanks for any tips on this,
Hoyt

54Bucks

Re: How Close to Set Target for Sights
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 12:15:31 AM »
 I don't think there's any shortcuts. A reduced load will give misleading results on what another load would do. If it were me and could involve sight adjustments, I'de be using the charge at the distance I wanted the sights to be on with. Shooting error is always a variable to consider. Shooting a reduced load seems to add more doubt to the results being from a difference in the charge or sights, or both. In additon to shooting error.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 02:51:16 AM »
So, shoot the beastie from a good padded rest.;  unless you already are.

Blind Dog

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 03:54:05 PM »
I concur with the previous posters. Do your testing with the turkey load at 35 yards. Shoot from a stable rest, preferrably a bench, and use sandbags at forestock and butt. Using a small sand bag between your shoulder and the butt plate will help to control to control recoil.

Dog
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 03:57:05 PM by Blind Dog »

Offline Greg S Day

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 04:37:02 PM »
One other suggestion.

Shoot your hunting load at your hunting range.

Place a large piece of paper with a small target at the center.

Shoot 4 or 5 shots at the target off the best rest you can get.
The same target.  Just keep shooting the same target.

After 4 or 5 shots you'll easily be able to see the center of your pattern.
It will show the center "average" of the group of shots.

Ya follow?
He Conquers Who Endures

hoyt

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 09:40:01 PM »
Thanks for all the good info and I agree with all of it and also follow what you are saying Greg.

I went through all this last yr....checking the front sight and thought I had it all worked out (killed a good gobbler with it at about 35yds.), but when I shot it to unload the last time I didn't shoot it from my bench and the pattern was off the the right. I very easily could have pulled the shot, but it's stuck in my mind.

I was thinking I could just shoot one shot at close range before the pattern opens up to see if it was on or not.  I just don't know how far out I'd have to set the target to get a good reading on it...if possible.