Author Topic: Unusual knife  (Read 6990 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Unusual knife
« on: March 30, 2012, 04:33:58 AM »
What can you guys tell me about this knife.  I got it at an auction that was
an "indian artifact" auction.   The true definition of artifact is "anything made by
the hand of man"  Doesn't have to be old and some folks take advantage of that.
Anyway, he referred to the markings on the blade as "indian lightning".  I'd like to hear from you experienced knife guys what this knife is.  The studs are set in the tang and may be silver as well as the pieces at the ricasso.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 04:34:43 AM by Rob Watt (suzkat) »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Jerry V Lape

Re: Unusual knife
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 07:15:13 AM »
The engraving I can see just looks like simple wiggle scratch engraving. 

The other DWS

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 04:10:56 PM »
The blade look hardly ever used and unworn.   Might be "indian made" but if so I'm guessing it was a real recent indian.   I've looked at a lot of historic knives and I don't recall seeing a blade quite like that.  that thin pointy upswept tip would get in the way of a lot of work other than pure combat.

kind of a neat knife though

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 08:01:59 PM »
I just want to be sure it isn't old or have any value before I regrind it into something
more useable.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Horner75

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 09:55:57 PM »
It almost looks like a re-worked butcher knife to me.

Rick

Offline halfstock

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 10:10:42 PM »
Check to make sure but looks as if it could be "India" indian made.

The other DWS

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 10:26:33 PM »
How are the rivet/studs on the spine of the butt made attached?  It looks like they'd be real "unhandy" to me.
 You might try punching out the scale pins and see whats under the scales,  examine the edges of the scales and around the scale rivets with a magnifying glass to see if any adhesive (epoxy?) shows.  If you see any spots of adhesive, touching it with a real hot pin will help identify.  scorched epoxy has a dropdead giveaway smell.  Also look close at any file or grinding marks.

Before I waste any time trying to re shape it I'd check and see if it will take and hold an edge.  there is some sort of spark test that can be used to tell a bit about "mystery metals" I don;t know what it is but blacksmiths use it all the time.

Offline art riser

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 02:21:15 AM »
Looks Middle Eastern...

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 03:54:08 PM »
DWS,   I don't know how they are attached.  They are into the tang, but
without removing the scales, it's impossible to tell.  I'm not prepared to
take the scales off.  There doesn't appear to be any epoxy on it.  I sharpened
it and it will hold an edge.
    The knife's a mystery to me.  I was hoping somebody had seen one.
I think I'll just leave it alone til someone comes along with the answers.  Maybe
take it to a knife show and have someone more knowledgeable than myself
take a look at it.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 03:44:02 AM »
Boy the forum is slow.  400 plus looks at this knife and very little feedback?

The other DWS

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 04:27:33 AM »
Its a puzzlement.   could be old, could be new, could be from several different places/times/cultures.  without a close detailed examination its hard to do more than guess, and even with that it might remain a puzzle. 

Those studs on the grip, still make me wonder.  When you hold the knife in a using grip for heavy cutting, hacking, or various combat grips, any task a large knife might be put to; is it comfortable in the hand?

One more question,  when looking at the cutting edge angles, with a magnifying glass, does it look like the blade had ever been resharpened.  usually an old knife that has been hand sharpened will show several differing angles to the cutting edge

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 04:47:33 AM »
My impressions are that it is somewhat crudely made, not very old, not very worn.
Andover, Vermont

Mike R

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 04:21:55 PM »
I'd say a recent crudely made knife.  Hard to say from just those photos, but the blade rendition is relatively recent.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 04:39:46 PM »
I've taken a closer look at this knife and the scales appear to be from a man made material...a
polymer or something like that.  So I think I am going to reshape it into a patch knife and put
it with a hunting pouch.  It does hold a nice edge.  Thanks for your feedback.  So that's the third
fake item I bought at my first "Indian Artifact Auction"  A trade cross, this knife and a fake triangle
of trade silver with a HB Mark.  In defense of the auctioneer, there were several originals there and
at the time I didn't know what to look for.  One was a Hudson Bay knife with the beaver on the
blade.  It was definitely old.  The other was an indian police knife and I think it was right too.  I learned
alot of valuable lessons at that auction and he took the trade cross back when I proved to him it
was a fake, so I didn't get hurt that badly.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 07:38:15 PM »
At the antique arms show in Las Vegas a couple years ago I looked at a couple "original indian tomahawks".   The seller had two of them and had a price of $18,000 for each.  I asked him how he determined they were original and his response was less than sterling.  I think " Indian Artifacts" could be some of the most easily counterfeit items.  Many originals aren't so old that the same material can't be found in scrap around old homesteads.  The style copied from photos of the era; the construction relatively simple.  The only challenge would be in the tool marks and finish which would take quite a knowledge to discern from the use of similar methods today.  I steer away from them as too great a risk.  I would rather buy an honest reproduction. 

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 03:30:38 AM »
I would guess maybe India or Pakistan.

Centershot