Author Topic: Rice Barrels on the Forsyth Principal  (Read 16025 times)

Daryl

Rice Barrels on the Forsyth Principal
« on: March 31, 2012, 06:25:50 PM »
Yesterday, Jason called and we had a good discussion on the .62 cal. barrels they are tooling up to make on the Forsyth Principal.  He noted they were about ready to start and had a really positive response from gun builders in NA as well as from South Africa, with calibres up to 12 bore.  That the barrels would be made in larger calibres was pretty much my main interest, with 16 bore or a tight 15 being my main goal. 

We talked at length about barrel weight and final gun weight requirements and designs due to the increased recoil when larger bores are coupled with slower twists.  He expected by fall, to be able to produce a .670" bored, tight 15, with any twist desired, which would use the Lyman .662" mould perfectly - nice to already have that mould 'in stock'. They now have 2 CNC rifling machines they've put together, that are capable of any rate of twist specified. Whether they'll address personal needs or desires in custom twists, is not known by me, but I got that impression from the conversation.

Right off the bat, he is intending to make the .62 cal. Jaeger barrels originally promised and start testing one himself, soon.

How about them apples?

Offline Tom Currie

Re: Rice Barrels on the Forsyth Principal
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 06:31:47 PM »
Daryl, Please enlightened us on what the Forsyth Principle is

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 07:11:34 PM »
Simply put, very shallow rifling with slower than normal rate of twist. Forsyth's actual principal demanded 1/4 turn in the 'normal' length of the barrels. That would be 104" rate of twist in a pair of 26", 14 bore barrels. We suspect the depth would be .004" to .006" with very narrow lands, wide grooves. The Forsyth Princial's shallow rifling with slow twists allows us to use hardened balls much more easily than deep rifling does as the patch can take the gaff in shallow rifling, whereas with deep rifling, the ball itself must be conformed somewhat into the rifling to develope the seal. The hardened balls restist this making loading difficult.

We know today, that 104" twist in a 14 bore will require more powder to obtain accuracy, than many are willing to load - or SHOOT!  My own 14 bore barrel with a 66" twist starts to shoot well at 140gr. 2F.  By now, you've all seen the recoil picture of that charge, I think.  I wear a PAST recoil pad underneath my jacket for deliberate range shooting sessions. It's necessary. The recoil charts which are not quite exactly accurate with black powder charges, but shows a trend. My rifle's 'moose crushing load developes a recoil of 77 pounds. Kinda makes a .30/06 magnum look soft at 20 pounds.

Dphar has a rifle in 15 bore as made by Ed Rayle - with an 85" twist(I think), which uses 140gr. of Swiss to shoot well. When you're shooting over 400gr. of lead, the recoil can become memorable, especially in a light weight rifle, or one of poor design to handle recoil, if you're having to use 6 drams of powder to get the accuracy you demand.

The Forsyth Principal delivers us incredibly effective calibres and barrel traits for shooting large as well as dangerous game, from moose, elk - the large African Antelopes to  grizzly bears, buffalo from around the world and the big cats,  given a large enough bore and powder charge. There is no substitute for bore size, as long as enough powder can be used to deliver the ball with a flat enough trajectory to hit the animal properly, and enough velocity to penetrate and destroy that animal's vital tissues.  There-in lies the rub. A 20 bore hardened ball

There are 27.3gr. in a dram.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 01:53:48 AM »
What is the material  these large bore,heavy powder load barrels are being made from?

Bob Roller

boman

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 05:18:18 AM »
Insert Quote
What is the material  these large bore,heavy powder load barrels are being made from?

Bob, If you are concerned about safety?--- It probably doesn't matter due to the fact they're shooting Black Powder.  12L14(the std. for BP barrels last I heard) has a yield strength of around 60K and 1144(Green Mountain is using this steel I believe) is up at 100K.  One might bulge a barrel with a double load or compromise it if the walls are too thin at the rear sight, underlug etc. but doubt a properly manufactured and unobstructed barrel will blow up with heavy charges of Black Powder,  It just doesn't burn fast enough to develope the kind of pressures needed.  I shoot a 62 cal 1 1/16 straight(36in-1/72-.010 flat bottom rifled) Sharon barrel made of 12L14 with 120 grains of 3f as my std. charge for deer hunting.  I have tried heavier loads but it blows the hammer back and I really don't gain that much in energy/velocity. I built this rifle in 1978(see pic).
Also FWIW---I have a 45 smokeless muzzleloader that shoots around 2700fps with a 200 grain saboted 40 bullet and it is only developing around 35000psi based on pressure traces---It is built with 4140 std. barrel steel however :)
[/img]
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 05:19:39 AM by boman »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 01:25:33 PM »
There is on this forum,a metallurgist that gave testimony in the case of the Douglas barrel that blew up and destroyed a man's hand due to a flaw in the leaded steel barrel. The only thing the lawyer had to ask was."Is this type of steel certified by the mill that rolled it as gun barrel steel for any use"?The answer was no.Douglas's product liability insurance laid out a healthy sum on that one.
Safety?? You can bet you shirt,shoes. tie and deed to your house I am concerned. I asked a legitimate question and your answer seemed to go to an indifferent attitude.

Bob Roller

Offline FlintFan

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 03:31:50 PM »
There is on this forum,a metallurgist that gave testimony in the case of the Douglas barrel that blew up and destroyed a man's hand due to a flaw in the leaded steel barrel. The only thing the lawyer had to ask was."Is this type of steel certified by the mill that rolled it as gun barrel steel for any use"?The answer was no.Douglas's product liability insurance laid out a healthy sum on that one.
Safety?? You can bet you shirt,shoes. tie and deed to your house I am concerned. I asked a legitimate question and your answer seemed to go to an indifferent attitude.

Bob Roller

That is true, but it also must be pointed out that Douglas had a special run of octagon stock made specifically for them.  They would then bore out the octagon stock as a method to save time and money.  The flaw that happened most likely occurred in the manufacturing of their specific run of special bar stock.  The failure might also have happened if their barrel stock was made out of 4140, it is an impossible question to answer, but it gave the lawyers an easy out. 

I will ask the question again that no one who is prejudiced against 12L14 has ever answered for me.  How many out of the 10's of thousands of  Getz, Colerain, and Rice barrels that have been made, have failed due to the 12L14 steel they are made from? 

boman

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 04:34:35 PM »
Safety?? You can bet you shirt,shoes. tie and deed to your house I am concerned. I asked a legitimate question and your answer seemed to go to an indifferent attitude

Bob, Sorry you took my response that way.  I am always concerned about safety when firearms are involved and know there is inherent risk every time one is discharged(or loaded for that matter).  I am a general gunsmith(semi-retired) and have been since 1980. 
    Briefly(since this is a gunbuilding forum and this discussion should be on the shooting forum imho) I will say that I've always question leaded steels being used in the trade for barrels but I actually worry more about loosing an eye when shooting a flintlock than blowing a barrel.

Steve

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 06:43:49 PM »
I hesitate to get into this, however I do wonder about this conversation always going back to Douglas and their 1970's era blown barrel or barrels as being the representative of all the 12L14 barrels being used today. We've never, to my knowledge, been shown how this steel is blowing with other makes, as noted in the posts above.  Have Getz, Colerain, GRRW or Large barrels been blowing?

I've been advised that my GRRW .69 barrel is 12L14 as well as the .58 cal. Large barrel Taylor used on my .58 Hawken. 

I accidently proofed (shot off my shoulder) my .69 one day, a double charge of powder, with one ball, but that 330gr. of 2f surely kicked hard and actually produced only 70fps more velocity than 150gr. less powder achieved on my electronic  lie detector.  As far as I know, the .58 Hawken is still shooting in Terrace, BC (unles the fellow moved) yet it routinely shot over 140gr. of 2F BP and with slugs up over 600gr. weight. I remember being impressed as it was matching the .577 BPE of English fame.

Since these barrels, along with many of Taylors and others using 12L14 barrels are still going strong, I have to think perhaps Douglas's barrels themselves were at fault and that fault was in their 'special' lot of barrels only.

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 07:04:33 PM »
So........ what are they made of?  Each can then decide if they wish to purchase or not.
Gets us away from this never ending "discussion"  ::)

Vomitus

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 07:36:10 PM »
  Why hasn't anyone wrote a book called "Muzzleloading for Dummies"? Then we wouldn't have to slog through so much horsepucky! Good grief,how much pressure can a slow twist roundball gun produce?Or a fast twist, for that matter?  I gotta trust the manufacturers that have been around the longest...and use what they sell me.   the end
 The "Forsyth Principal", got to like what Rice is doing for you big bore guys! Two thumbs up! Away up!!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 06:51:44 PM by Leatherbelly »

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 09:58:49 PM »
Please don't start in with the " how much press. can B.P. produce " etc....the answer is- at least 100,000 PSI under certain conditions. Supposedly varified by the U.S. Navy.
I use Getz etc barrels with confidence. Others have a different view.  A simple question re material, the buy or not .  ;D

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 11:52:47 PM »
This is interesting. Raise a question about a barrel material and almost everyone jumps up to defend the use of materials really not suited for the job.

Bob Roller

Dave Faletti

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 01:02:47 AM »
If you wanted to use iron/steel as used in originals I doubt a supplier would stand behind that for gun barrels and you would probably lose in court too.  My preference is 41XX series certified for barrels, but I have also used what I can get from reputable people.  I doubt a supplier is going to attach the term "gun barrel" to anything that isn't suited to modern firearms.  That leaves some steel which is fine for the lower pressures in muzzleloaders if manufactured properly. As far as what fills that category I'll leave that for others to debate.

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 01:25:03 AM »
Rob, what is really interesting, is that almost a full page, and no one has answered the question yet  ???
I went to the Rice barrel web site, and there is no indication there as to what material they use.

Offline FlintFan

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 02:43:31 AM »
Rob, what is really interesting, is that almost a full page, and no one has answered the question yet  ???
I went to the Rice barrel web site, and there is no indication there as to what material they use.

Rice uses 12L14

Offline FlintFan

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 02:49:38 AM »
This is interesting. Raise a question about a barrel material and almost everyone jumps up to defend the use of materials really not suited for the job.

Bob Roller

Again, I will ask the question.  How many Getz, Colerain, and Rice barrels do you know of that have failed because they were made from 12L14? 

I find it more interesting that you are trying to find a problem where one doesn't exist, and which has no other outcome other than harming American manufacturers.

leatherman

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 03:35:54 AM »
I have one of the .62 cal. Forsyth barrels ordered from Rice. I have friends in SA that have been shooting 6 and 8 bore rifles, 150 year old originals and modern remakes useing up to 250 grains of powder behind patched round balls all their lives and I never heard them mention any blow ups occuring. I trust that reputable barrel makers know the limits of the steels they use and give plenty of barrel thickness were it counts. We are estimateing a load of 120 to 150 grains of powder max in these .62 Forsyth barels to get them to shoot to their best potential accuracy wise.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 03:51:12 AM »

Bob Roller

Again, I will ask the question.  How many Getz, Colerain, and Rice barrels do you know of that have failed because they were made from 12L14? 

I find it more interesting that you are trying to find a problem where one doesn't exist, and which has no other outcome other than harming American manufacturers.

How many barrels have failed wasn't a part of the original question and I did not raise any questions other than to ask what these big bore barrels were made from. The bigger the bore,the thinner the walls still holds true.
If there are better materials to be had then why not use them? Better is still the best idea.

Bob Roller

Daryl

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 06:35:48 AM »
Perhaps we can't use what might be a better barrel steel because no one who is using so-called 'better" barrel steel is making barrels in the calibres and sizes in the designs we require. 

It has now taken 3 years to get to this stage, after my first conversation with Jason, at Dixon's 2 1/2 years ago. We are now promised a 15 bore and perhaps larger bore sized barrels by next Christmas. I think that's wonderful and will be shooting a Rice barrel after that happens. I certainly have no complaints over the strength of my seemingly thin, 1 1/8" .69, nor has my buddy Keith with the same outside size barrel in a Getz .75 cal. barrel.  Had that Getz barrel of Keith's been around 90" twist with only .005" to .006" rifling depth, I'd have one in .69 right now.

I've seen in print here at ALR that Rice uses 12L/14 - I thought everyone knew that - pretty sure they did.  I've never seen any form of proof that they use 12L14, merely been said here that they use that material - I can accept that as truth, I guess.

I've seen several posts there stating that Colerain, Rice and Getz all use that material. I know a LOT of gun builders here use those barrels and in my 3 or more years of being here at ALR, I've never heard of one of them having a problem.

Bob - perhaps you've already forgotten all the barrel-steel theads of the past, recent past and 'before' that went on right here at ALR - all the talk about 12L14 being an inferior material  but never any proof that one of the non-Douglas barrels blowing up as we were promised was happening. 

That Douglas barrels or a single Douglas Barrel burst, I've no problem with - I know of one.  I've seen a Douglas barrel that burst - Taylor has it in his rafters in the basement. We also know why it burst - the ball was set down about 1 1/2" off the powder charge due to fouling baldy there, so the owner then fired it - all $#*! broke loose and the hammer was never found - the barrel turning into a partially peeled banana, from the breech forward 1/2 way to the muzzle.  Was it the barrel's fault, or the barrels steel's fault? - not that I could see nor even start to lay blame on the barrel itself.

I do happen to know that Don and now John Getz use 12L14. I also know that Don breeched both ends of a barrel, loaded it with powder, screwed in the solid plug & put fire to the vent.  The entire charge fizzed out the vent and didn't blow up - interesting, but not scientific enough for those scientific thinkers who "think" that that steel is not suitable for a muzzleloading barrel because LaSalle says it isn't gun barrel quality steel - which wording sounds like modern gun steel to me.

I would then surmise that LaSalle will not call the 12L14 'Barrel Quality Steel' because some idiot would then make a .300 Magnum out of it and perhaps - - cause injury to himself or others and sue for damages.

We can all make 'guesses' as to how good something is or isn't.  Everyone has an opinion myself included.  I wonder if years of use with repetitive concussions of firing is any good as in indicator of worthiness, or is someones guess or opinion a more accurate measure?

Roger Fisher has to date fired over 50,000 shots out of a Getz barrel.  Roger Fisher is not known to use squib loads, but loads that actually shoot accurately - therefore they are not squib loads, yet all that hammering, relatively high pressure that we know is developed in the smaller bores, has not crystallized that barrel to where it failed, a barrel that has actually shot 'slick' 3 or 4 times now.  By what we've read here from the experts about shock loading crystallization, etc of the 12L14 barrels, it should have self-destructed many THOUSANDS of shots ago - but hasn't, nor has any Getz or Rice, Large, GRRW barrels Taylor's has been using in his rifles since 1974. 

As far as any barrel of decent manufacture of any of the users of 12L14 blowing up, I'd suspect the person loading & shooting it, before I'd blame the barrel steel itself.   

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 04:41:01 PM »
Daryl,
Call Jim McLemore @ 1-219-552-4050.He makes muzzle loader barrels in calibers we like from 4150 Certified GB Steel and it's all he uses be it breech loader or muzzle loaders.

Bob Roller

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 05:12:06 PM »
I can recall a conversation with Mr. Kelly, and others, who were in my booth at Friendship.  I remember Ken Bresien was
there and someone asked Ken what type of barrel steel he used..........his reply, 12L14.   People used to ask me who I
thought was the best barrel maker of our time..........my answer was always....Ken Bresien.   And he was making barrels
to shoot real heavy "bullets", not round balls...............Don

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 05:16:15 PM »
I think the issue with the old Douglas barrels was that they were "cold drawn" to octagon shape along with the fact that they were 12L14.  The cold drawing left them with micro stress cracks that could worsen over time and result in failure.  I respect Mr. Kelly's opinions a great deal, but I still shoot my old Douglas barrels.  They are all thick walled and I am very kind to them.  I think the Douglas barrels in question were were lighter weight/thinner walled.  When you come to think of it, look at all the old wrought iron barrels that were used in centuries gone by that still exist.  We know they had flaws and were forge welded. That being said, I would still rather have a barrel made out of the stuff Mr. McLemore uses if I could afford it.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 05:23:15 PM »
 :o WOW  :o ... and some people think politics is a sour subject  ;D
The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.

Daryl

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 05:25:25 PM »
Daryl,
Call Jim McLemore @ 1-219-552-4050.He makes muzzle loader barrels in calibers we like from 4150 Certified GB Steel and it's all he uses be it breech loader or muzzle loaders.

Bob Roller

Bob- I wasn't aware that Jim was making .67 and .73 cal barrels.  I will give him a call.