Author Topic: Indiana Barrel Maker ??  (Read 4859 times)

Ionian

Indiana Barrel Maker ??
« on: April 01, 2012, 04:03:52 PM »
   Does anyone know Mr. James Mclemore? I saw his information posted on here in the past and was wondering if he still made barrels. He only lives about 5 miles from me and I thought I would support a local maker.

Thank You.

Offline JCKelly

Re: Indiana Barrel Maker ??
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 06:07:18 PM »
McLemore makes barrels of rifle barrel quality AISI 4150, same as USArmy machine gun barrels.
New website is  http://www.sleepyhillbarrels.com     Great for bench guys, chunk guns

Offline okieboy

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 06:37:02 PM »
 The pictures and his story make his site very worth visiting. The photo of him standing with those two barrels is really something.
Okieboy

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 07:43:06 PM »
I have known Jim McLemore and he is without a doubt one of the top makers of barrels today and as Mr.Kelly says,he makes his barrels from 4150 which does withstand the abuse given out by a machine gun.
I am not prejudiced against 12L14 and use it for screws daily. Dan Phariss knows of others that have blown. It only takes ONCE and then get ready tosell the house,shop and anything else of value if it goes to court. 

Bob Roller

The other DWS

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 08:36:17 PM »
interesting webssite.   Where in IN is he located?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 09:18:45 PM »
Jim McLemore is in Hebron,Indiana which is in the North part,West of Auburn and East of South Bend.

Bob Roller

pake

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 06:54:13 AM »
Wow, small world! 30 plus years ago I farmed just down the road from Hebron, in Cedar Lake, Lowell and Crown Point. But that was when that whole area was still agricultural. Hebron was just a wide spot in a small road then. I imagine it's like the rest of NW Indiana now.

Here in western Minnesota where I live now it's still a long drive on gravel before I get home.

Ionian, if I may ask, where is home for you?

pake

JB2

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 08:02:43 PM »
Pake, Hebron hasn't changed all that much.  They DO have 2 tri-color traffic lights now, but the second one was only installed last year.  If you get 10 feet from either of those lights, you would still recognize the place.  Still lots and lots of farming in the area.  I grew up in Crown Point and only live about 25 miles away now, and one of my best friends from high school still farms about 1500 acres in the area. 

Did not know that Mr Mclemore was in Hebron, I'll have to get in touch with him and ask for the nickel tour.

Ionian

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 05:00:53 AM »
  Thank you all for the information. I live in Lowell, IN. and Mr.Mclemore is actually on the border just north of Lowell.

pake

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 06:17:04 AM »
Thanks Jim B and Ionian!

Lowell...small world indeed.

pake