Author Topic: Horn seal problem  (Read 2813 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Horn seal problem
« on: April 02, 2012, 08:23:13 PM »
Well my plug is in good and tight.  So tight I can't get it out.  Problem is that
when I blow into it, the slightest amount of air escapes by the plug.  Therefore
not water tight.  Any ideas on a way to seal it up?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Ahtuwisae

Re: Horn seal problem
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 08:37:16 PM »
Beeswax, epoxy, superglue, hide glue...the list goes on and on.  depend on the amount of air and how HC you want to be.

I use either hide glue or beeswax to seal my plugs if not a tight fit.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 09:53:04 PM »
I agree.  Use beeswax.  Melt the wax onto the butt cap and rub it into the wood and horn's end.  It'll suck up the wax, which when it hardens, will make the horn water and air tight.  Empty the horn of powder first!!!  Kaboom!!!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline The Original Griz

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 10:01:58 PM »
I melt beeswax and pour it into the horn, swirl it around and dump the rest out. Clean the fill end out with a drill bit twisting it by hand and then our butt cap will be sealed. But as always, that is just the way I do it.....
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 10:15:47 PM »
Bees Wax it is!   I knew I could count on you guys.  Thanks.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 01:01:30 AM »
 Simple way if the leak (s) are small is to fill it with water, let it sit for awhile, the base will swell, once dry it should stay air tight. If that doesn't work the Bee's wax on the base and a heat gun are the way to go.

Tim C.