Author Topic: Reeves Geohring sideplates  (Read 8327 times)

Offline Curt Larsen

Reeves Geohring sideplates
« on: December 04, 2008, 12:09:59 AM »
I recently picked up a bunch of what (to my surprise) turned out to be Reeves' sideplates on ebay.  I have his parts list and photos of his trigger guards and buttplates that one of our group posted on the site awhile back, but don't have one for the sideplates.  Does anyone have a list of the sideplates?  Each one has its own part number.  I just wondered how Reeves labeled and identified his work so I can label these.

Curt

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
Re: Reeves Geohring sideplates
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 05:48:53 AM »
God Loves Reeves & I fully understand his business but I also sure wish that we had some way of truly identifying his parts without having to track him down at "this or that" show. He has some of the best stuff just wish it was in a good catalog format so we could order by his #'s
Lamenting with you....
Jim
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 08:58:48 AM »
Reeves doesn't have all that he used to. He use 'd to have lots of hammers and frizzens, pipes, sideplates and so forth. A great set of M. Fordney pipes for example. Mostly TG's and BP's now and he has a list of what's what by numbers.Note.  I got the last set of the Fordney pipes from Reeves in sterling (that's all there was left). I gave them to Dave Keck to duplicate. These are great. A`3/8 rod slides thru easily and they lend themselves to many other things. Longer pipes than anything on the mrket.

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 03:36:49 PM »
Bill:  Maybe all of these sideplates I acquired were the last he did as he focused on trigger guards and buttplates.  I imagine the bigger pieces are a lot less hassle to cast than the thin sideplates.  Anyway, I'm glad that I wound up with these seven pieces.  I was really surprised when I got them in mail to find out that they were Reeves' work.

Curt

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 04:15:28 PM »
A while back someone took pictures at Dixon's I think of Reeves offerings, and had a list of the buttplate and triggerguard descriptions with #'s.  I lost my copy when my hard drive crashed.  Does anyone still have these files and can you send them to me.  I tried the archives but had no luck.  A hint how to get them from the archives would be most welcome.  Thanks

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 05:02:14 PM »
A while back someone took pictures at Dixon's I think of Reeves offerings, and had a list of the buttplate and triggerguard descriptions with #'s.  I lost my copy when my hard drive crashed.  Does anyone still have these files and can you send them to me.  I tried the archives but had no luck.  A hint how to get them from the archives would be most welcome.  Thanks
Kent,
If they were were on this (new) board they should be available via the search process. None of the records on the new board are archived.

If they were on the old board you would need to go to the old board archives  at http://www.americanlongrifles.org/old_board/ and do a search for them. I will try to find them since I also would like a copy.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 05:29:06 PM »
Kent,
Here is what I found in the archives. So maybe Larry Luck still has a list.

but Reaves Goehring has a wide selection of castings.  I have his parts list at home and will check later this evening to see if he has C. Hawken buttplates or triggerguards.
Larry Luck

Then this is the path to the lonnnnnnnnnnnng posting regarding Reaves catalog. I looks like Mark Elliott had the file posted on his personal website for folks to download. I just email Mark to see if possibly he still has a copy of the file. I think it was 9 Meg in .zip format!

Here is the link to the topic but you probably will have to login using your current ALR userid and password.
http://americanlongrifles.org/old_board/index.php?topic=9060.0
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline TPH

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 05:34:08 PM »
Dennis, I must be doing something wrong. Searching "Reeves Geohring "I got two hits. If you find them, please post them, I too lost them. I think....
T.P. Hern

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 12:27:56 AM »
Dennis, I must be doing something wrong. Searching "Reeves Geohring "I got two hits. If you find them, please post them, I too lost them. I think....
I posted the link to the old board archives that has those posts. There are 4 or 5 pages of posts, too many to re-post here.

This link should take you directly to the post. As mentioned you will have to login to the archive forum but once you do it should take you directly to the topic and all related posts.

http://americanlongrifles.org/old_board/index.php?topic=9060.0

Dennis

Offline Eric Laird

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 04:52:29 AM »
Kent,
I just emailed you the file. I think it was Eric von A. that took the picures and created the files. It is zipped, and all I did was save it to my computer and it opens up when I double click on it. Hope this works.
Eric
Eric Laird

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 09:11:14 AM »
thanks everyone.  I got them.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 05:01:05 PM »
here are the pics of Reeves stuff:

http://photobucket.com/reevesgoering

Dennis, You can download these and post them on the site if you want. Seems they might be helpful for folks.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 05:04:24 PM by DrTimBoone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 03:04:07 AM »
I just noticed that there are a bunch more of Reeves' sideplates up on ebay again.  Those interested might want to check them out.

Curt

ddeaton

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 10:06:34 PM »
can someone email me that file also.
ddeaton@zoomtown.com
Thanks,
Danny

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 11:59:56 PM »
Curt, might help to find them if you shared what title you searched under.  Darned if I could locate them on ebay.

Offline Randall Steffy

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 03:07:11 AM »
This link is good for quite a variety of brass furniture auctions. If not the ebay auction referred to above it will still be of interest.
http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/rarebeefeater5m3d

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 04:00:39 PM »
Sorry Jerry:  Try ebay item number 200287427243.  They were still up there this morning.  R. Steffy above has posted the url for all of the brass stuff. 

Curt
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 04:03:20 PM by Curt Larsen »