Author Topic: Silver maple as a stock wood?? Yes?? No??  (Read 6782 times)

LehighBrad

Silver maple as a stock wood?? Yes?? No??
« on: April 03, 2012, 11:01:30 PM »
My neighbor just hacked down a big'ol honkin' silver maple tree this afternoon. When I walked over to drink a cold one with him and survey the destruction, all I could visualize looking at those huge chunks of tree was..."how many bark covered longrifle and pistol stock blanks are laying there in his yard?!" :o  Is silver maple a good wood for longrifle and pistol construction or will all this wood just get burned up in a fire ring whilst enjoying a few cold Yuenglings over the next couple of years??? ;D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 11:02:03 PM by LehighBrad »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Silver maple as a stock wood?? Yes?? No??
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 11:03:10 PM »
Too soft, not even that good for firewood, but often has spectacular curl.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 11:53:13 PM »
It's a step up from balsa wood, maybe like soft pine.

But you know what? Wood varies from tree to tree, so it wouldn't hurt to take a piece and test it for hardness. Silver maple sure can have pretty grain.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline curly

• In GOD we trust
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 11:55:31 PM »
Rich and I agree........way to soft for anything.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 11:56:41 PM »
Ahhhh.......cold Yuengling.  Now, what was your question, I got distracted? ;D ;D

Offline bgf

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 12:12:53 AM »
I would cut a few pieces and cure them up if it has any curl.  Worst case you wasted some time.  We had some of those trees when I was growing up and the wood wasn't as soft as you might think from some online sources -- more like the softest red maple, maybe, than basswood or balsa.  It would depend on the growing conditions and climate during the life of the tree.  Might make some pretty gewgaws.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 12:17:12 AM »
Believe it or not, one stockmaker sells only silver maple stocks unless you ask for something else.  There are scores of people on this list who have silver maple stocks and don't even know it.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 12:34:23 AM »
Golly, how I miss Yuengling porter and stout, marooned as I am out here in Colt and Winchester country.
A few of those and I wouldn't care if the wood was good or not. Not only are there no Kentucky rifles to be had out here, there aren't any of Yuengling's brews either. Don't know which is worse.
Dick

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 12:47:17 AM »
Here are photos of a silver maple stock that I got a "deal" on EBAY! Should have known better but the rifle ended up being a wall hanger for a descendant of one of the Gillespie gunmakers. They knew what it was and wanted it.  I doubt it has ever been fired since I delivered it. It was some soft wood to work with!

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

LehighBrad

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 01:40:18 AM »
Ooooo.k. well.....I'll pick around and see if any parts of the tree "calls" to me. Unlike my Yuengling......which ALWAYS calls me. God bless Richard Yuengling!! Being born and raised in northern Dauphin county Pennsylvania, my daddy weened me on Yuengling Premium....but many a lagers have met their doom around my workshop! ;D

LehighBrad

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 03:46:28 AM »
Just got a small slab of silver maple from the neighbors tree. THAT SUCKER HAS SUPER PREMIUM CURL ALL THROUGH THE PIECE I TOOK!!!! Even though it's pretty moist, I sanded one side flat and smooth and slapped a little nut brown stain on it and man-o-man....that tight curl pops!!!I already claimed the hunk it came from......once dried, I hope to be able to use it for a pistol build in the future. The neighbor said he'll slab out a few longrifle planks in the near future if I want them. Now I just hope they'll be hard enough when dried to be used for guns. :-[ Even got one of his Yuenglings to celebrate. ;)

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 04:26:52 AM »
My favorite time of year, Yuengling's Bock Beer is in season.
Kunk

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 07:14:42 AM »
Lehigh, it may not be worth a Darn for stock's, but considerer planking it out for shooting box's, or some such items.  Would hate to see it be firewood, if it has great figure.  Waste not want not.  Small pieces for handles for files, or chisels, build a display stand.  Lot's of uses.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

LehighBrad

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 01:06:04 PM »
Don't worry Bill......after showing the neighbor how much curl that wood has he said it WILL NOT be wasted on fire wood. It WILL be utilized for other things whether it be gunstocks or some sort of furniture or picture frames or drawer fronts or what have you....... ;)

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 01:52:27 PM »
Probably would make great pipe hawk hafts w/ a lot of figure as nobody actually uses them anyway.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 03:18:16 PM »
I know lehighbrad personally and IMHO the shooters box would be the handiest thing for him.

B Dixon

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 03:59:47 PM »
My neighbor just hacked down a big'ol honkin' silver maple tree this afternoon. When I walked over to drink a cold one with him and survey the destruction, all I could visualize looking at those huge chunks of tree was..."how many bark covered longrifle and pistol stock blanks are laying there in his yard?!" :o  Is silver maple a good wood for longrifle and pistol construction or will all this wood just get burned up in a fire ring whilst enjoying a few cold Yuenglings over the next couple of years??? ;D

Firewood.
Maybe furniture.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine