Author Topic: Rev War Map/Horn  (Read 8387 times)

BKW

Rev War Map/Horn
« on: April 04, 2012, 03:57:47 PM »
Hello All,
We are researching this powder horn that was recently rediscovered in the collection of a small museum. The scrimshaw horn depicts the following: (Spelling is as I interpret it and then what I think the modern/correct spelling of the place is.) “SHENACTDAY” (Schenectady); “ALBONY” (Albany); “F:HUNDRICK (Ft. Hendrick); “F:TANWIX “ (Ft. Stanwix, later, Ft. Schuyler); “F:HUNTER” (Ft. Hunter); “F:HARKIMONA” possibly, Herkimer Church Fort.
This appears to be a US Revolutionary War soldier’s map/diary horn, depicting the Mohawk River Valley of New York. There are initials that appear to be “APM”.   It was donated to the museum in the 20’s or 30’s. Our questions would be, do you think I interpreted the name, “F:HARKIMONA” correctly as meaning, Herkimer Church Fort. Overall length is about 11 ¾ and the largest diameter on is about 2 5/8. I'm not sure haw large photos I can post so I'll probably add several posts.
Comments welcome, Thanks for looking. BKW
I'm having trouble figuring out how to post photo's so I'll research that and then post the photos.

BKW

Re: Rev War Map/Horn
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 04:12:32 PM »
That didn't work so I'll try a different way to post the photo's. The "help" comments under "Attachments" isn't much help on explaining how to post the images.
Can anybody explain how to post the photo's?
Thanks,
BKW

BKW

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 04:37:23 PM »

BKW

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 04:40:06 PM »

BKW

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 04:40:36 PM »

BKW

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 04:41:58 PM »

BKW

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 04:43:28 PM »
Posting photo's here is tedious!

BKW

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 04:44:47 PM »

BKW

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 04:46:28 PM »

Hope you guys enjoy seeing this.

BKW

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 04:47:44 PM »

BKW

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 04:48:45 PM »

BKW

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 04:49:47 PM »

BKW

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 04:50:43 PM »
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 05:01:52 PM by Dennis Glazener »

BKW

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 04:51:41 PM »

BKW

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 04:54:03 PM »

Thanks for looking!
Comments?
BKW

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 06:06:57 PM »
I would think you made the right interpretation of Harkimona given it was in the region and similar
spelling.  Obvious the horn's maker was not highly literate.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

BKW

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 06:10:39 PM »
Thanks for your comments Rob,
BKW

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 07:26:30 PM »

Based on this pic and another it looks to me like the patina has been scraped off so the carving could be done.

Tim C.

BKW

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 07:36:39 PM »
Good observation Tim, my take is that it possibly was to make the engraving more visible. If you look at the large end, you will see that the engraving goes up to the end, apparently, the horn was shortened at some point. With the horn in hand, it is more apparent that in the photo's I posted.
Thanks for you insightful comments!
BKW

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 09:04:47 PM »
Showing my rev war ignorance...I wanted to ask if any units saw duty at all of those posts? If its a campaign horn maybe the soldier that carved it was documenting where he'd served...?
tc
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 09:21:37 PM »
You are correct in that the fort in question is Fort Herkimer, (or Harkmar). Spelling seemed to be a matter of phonetics oftentimes in those days and you see some interesting spellings. If you cannot find a date on the piece, or a name, you might consider that it dates to the French and Indian War period. The map horn motiffs seem to have been considerably more popular back then. The spout appears to be of the earlier style, as well. Does the horn have the Order of the Garter seal on it, by the way? I did not find it on the photos, but it might not be readily visible. Thank you for posting this. It's always a joy to see new material, especially good old things which this certainly is. Thank the museum for us too, if you would. They are fortunate to have it.
Dick   

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 09:38:02 PM »
Again, just curious, but is the museum also close to the places mentioned on the horn, making it a local piece etc? 
tc
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

BKW

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 09:45:13 PM »
Thanks for your interest and comments Dick. I fond no Order of Garder seal on it, I even had to look up what it was. It is possible that it is pre-Rev war, the name of Ft. Stanwix had actually been changed to Ft. Schuyler during the Rev. War. Stanwix being the British name and had been abandonded by the time of the Rev war. There is only the initinals, "APM" on it no dates. The museum didn't see anything special about it till it was brought to their attention. With our research (and this forum's help) I'm sure they will see it in a different light!
T.C. ALbert, you pose a great question, I also wonder, I tried to contact the National Park Service at Ft. Stanwix, but the link didn't work. We would love to be able to attribute it to a soldier, but that would be like winning the lottery! No, the museum is in Indiana, the horn apparently was donated at the same time as an English fouling gun in the 20's or 30's.
Many Thanks to all!
BKW

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 09:55:49 PM »
Good observation Tim, my take is that it possibly was to make the engraving more visible. If you look at the large end, you will see that the engraving goes up to the end, apparently, the horn was shortened at some point. With the horn in hand, it is more apparent that in the photo's I posted.
Thanks for you insightful comments!
BKW

You would think that scraping would remove carving but it looks pretty shape to me, then again it is a picture.
Thanks for posting it.

Tim C.