Author Topic: Whats it worth?  (Read 19292 times)

MeatStick

Whats it worth?
« on: April 04, 2012, 07:08:07 PM »

I'm told it was built by Bill Large sometime in the early 70's and it was called Baby Lucifer. Sorry thats all I got. I can not wait to shoot it, I think it found a new home.

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Whats it worth?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 07:15:21 PM »
What's it worth will be determined by how it performs. The barrel appears to be Bill Large but I was in is shop a lot in the time frame you mention and I don't remember ever seeing this rifle. The important thing on this particular gun is the barrel and its accuracy.

Bob Roller

MeatStick

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 07:25:44 PM »
Thanks Bob, I hope to find out some performance information over the next couple of days. I have been wanting a chunk gun, I'm hoping it was well spent money. I'll post some pics shooting in a few days.

Offline okieboy

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
 I would like to see the hand that could go around that gun's wrist! That is quite a gun. How long is the barrel and have you weighed it yet? You will have to keep us informed of your progress with shooting it. Thanks for the pictures.
Okieboy

MeatStick

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 08:52:13 PM »
Barrel is 41 inches and I figure it weighs around 40lbs.

chapmans

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 08:56:10 PM »
MeatStick,
   I think what you have is a bench gun, the chunk matches, at Friendship at least, do no allow a false muzzle, plus the sights will have to be changed to fixed. It will be interesting to find out how well it shoots!
  Regards, Steve C.

Offline bgf

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 10:31:56 PM »
MeatStick,
   I think what you have is a bench gun, the chunk matches, at Friendship at least, do no allow a false muzzle, plus the sights will have to be changed to fixed. It will be interesting to find out how well it shoots!
  Regards, Steve C.

I think that is right, also, but the buttplate looks like a Shuetzen style and the sights are high as if for offhand?  I'm asking not telling, but that buttplate looks very awkward from the bench.  Could it be used in the cross-stick/buffalo matches with the sights and starter?

chapmans

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 11:05:34 PM »
bgf,
  There is a 14lb limit on X-stick guns, I had the same thought about the buttplate.
  Steve

MeatStick

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 11:07:20 PM »
I have been messing around with it for a couple of hours now, sitting on a bench, cleaning and trying to love it but I am starting to have second thoughts. I guess I'll see how I feel about it tomorrow about keeping it or sending it to the classifieds.

Militant_Hillbilly

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 01:54:09 AM »
I think I'd have to shoot it for at least a month or three. If I was still having fun and it was shooting good, I'd keep it. It's worth a lot as a conversation piece.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 02:47:15 AM »
Meatstick,
I picked one up at an auction a couple of years ago, LH percussion light bench, made back in the 60's. Was going to take it apart for the parts but cleaned it up first. Glad I did, bore was perfect and rifle was in overall very good + condition. Shoots one hole groups at 50 yards and qualifies for both bench and cross sticks. You might want to at least give the old girl a try, or two.
Mark
Mark

MeatStick

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 03:15:10 AM »
I'll be takin her out at first light and trying some of the DOPE provided by the previous owner. She weighs in at 35.8 lbs shes a well maintained 50 cal. and I got for $600. I should be tickled with that but I think it will come down to comfort and groups. We will see what tomorrow brings.

Daryl

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 03:20:03 AM »
Rifling twist?  RB or slug? The muzzle picture appears to show RB depth rifling - around .012" or so.

MeatStick

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 03:22:52 AM »
1:48 twist

Daryl

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 04:18:14 AM »
perfect - probably shoot well with a .508" ball, .015" teflon patch and 85gr. to 100gr. 2F.  Bets?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 04:19:24 AM by Daryl »

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 03:37:24 PM »
I knew this one reminded me of something... check this swiss gun out... http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/product_details.php?itemID=18806

Daryl

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 05:49:14 PM »
Cool- the fancy filing at the muzzzle really looks great, too. Exceptionally nice chunk of Euro Walnut - a special rifle for sure. 

MeatStick

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 01:05:17 AM »
Very cool. I got to put about 40 rounds through the old girl today. I post pics later.

robert

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 01:56:16 AM »
I had a few of Bills guns and he usually set them up for heavy loads. One 50lb 50cal I had he told me to use 200 grs 2f a .015 patch and a.500 ball. At 200yds it shot almost a one hole group. They use to keep records for all his guns but I heard they got tired of people calling to find out the loads and destroyed the the notes.

MeatStick

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 05:01:54 AM »

The DOPE that was with the gun was for sabots, so I threw them away and started over with .490 with a .20 patch. 100 yards with 70gr. I need to order a set of apertures for the front sight and some bigger RB's to see what it can do. The butt sucks wet dog fur, it sits right on the bone in the top of your shoulder. I figure it's gonna take me a while to get use to it but I think I'll hold on to it for now. The target picture is a 3 shot group at 100yds varying 5 to 15 mph wind, nothing to brag about, but it's a starting point. We'll see how she doe's with some different loads. I think I'll call her "The Fickle Bitch"

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 06:57:46 AM »
I would play with it for a while, just to get a feel for the way it might shoot.   If you think it has possibilities, I would remove the barrel , lock and triggers and throw the rest into a fire.   It is definately one of the "ugliest" gun I have ever
seen.   Then build one that at least would fit you , and you could end up with a fairly good bench gun..........Don

Paul Griffith

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 01:48:14 PM »
perfect - probably shoot well with a .508" ball, .015" teflon patch and 85gr. to 100gr. 2F.  Bets?

What he said.  New nipple also.

The other DWS

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2012, 02:11:57 PM »
I'd consider pulling the buttplate, setting it aside, and fitting a new one from TOTW to the wood that was more shoulder friendly. 

I've seen more than a few schuetzens with the upper prong reduced or simply removed to fit modern upper arms better.

MeatStick

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2012, 02:31:37 PM »
I would play with it for a while, just to get a feel for the way it might shoot.   If you think it has possibilities, I would remove the barrel , lock and triggers and throw the rest into a fire.   It is definately one of the "ugliest" gun I have ever
seen.   Then build one that at least would fit you , and you could end up with a fairly good bench gun..........Don

Funny, my buddy John saw it and said "Wow you need to make a laminated stock for that". I figure I'll take the butt off today before going out to try some other loads. I don't own any other 50 caliber so I need to start ordering some different balls to try.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 02:36:17 PM by MeatStick »

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2012, 02:37:27 PM »
Thats a very straight looking stock... are you able to get your eye behind the peep sight?