Author Topic: English Fowler Rebarrel to Rook Rifle  (Read 2810 times)

Offline TNVolunteerEngineer

English Fowler Rebarrel to Rook Rifle
« on: April 08, 2012, 04:58:33 AM »
I just bought another ML stock without a barrel.  This one has a Henry Nock lock that was originally flint now converted to percussion.  The stock is sound except for a missing chip and all the hardware is there.   The octagon barrel channel has a rapid taper from 1.10 at the breech to about .750 at the fore end.  I'm thinking it was originally a fowler.  I would like to have a 20GA fowler barrel made, and a companion small rifle caliber, as the stock is petite with a small wrist.   I'm thinking 32 to 35 caliber, but I wonder what calibers original English Rook rifles were made in.   I have five pounds of Hornady 00 buck that measures .330.  That would make a nice rook caliber if I can get a barrel made for them.  Any suggestions? Thanks.

Allan
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 04:45:12 AM by Vol423 »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Rook rifle caliber
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 09:59:24 PM »
I have a little half stocked percussion rifle that I refer to as a "rook" rifle.  It was originally .38 cal, but the bore was fubar, so I sleeved it with a brand new .36 cal Green Mt. barrel.  It's a great shooter.

Is yours full stocked?  If you make a 20 bore fowling piece out of it, you'll have a barrel that is .065" wall at the muzzle, if it is full stocked.  And that's fine.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline TNVolunteerEngineer

Re: Rook rifle caliber
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 04:16:53 AM »
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 04:19:17 AM by Vol423 »

Offline Swampwalker

Re: English Fowler Rebarrel to Rook Rifle
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 07:44:48 PM »
I like your idea of interchangeable barrels.  Are you thinking about re-converting to flintlock?  That might be challenging.  Might be easier to replace the whole lock and keep that one for your collection.