Author Topic: 12 bore fowler loads  (Read 3754 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
12 bore fowler loads
« on: April 04, 2012, 11:36:55 PM »
I know, do a search, but I don't have time right now.

I bought a 12 bore fowler and gave away all my 12 ga wads/cards etc and want to shoot this fowler tomorrow when I go up to my range for other reasons. Any of you had any luck using something other than nitro cards/wads etc? I feel sure that wadded newsprint will work fine for wadding but how about something in leiu of over the powder wads and over shot cards?
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Daryl

Re: 12 bore fowler loads
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 03:14:41 AM »
3/4" punch - ie: 3/4" ID pipe, sharped around the outside and use with a hammer to punch out cardboard wads over a sheet of HDPE or UHMW. That's what I'd do, Dennis until my new batch of wads arrived.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 03:18:55 AM »
3/4" punch - ie: 3/4" ID pipe, sharped around the outside and use with a hammer to punch out cardboard wads over a sheet of HDPE or UHMW. That's what I'd do, Dennis until my new batch of wads arrived.
Daryl,
Thanks that sounds doable but what the heck is HDPE or UHMW!

Never mind just found it on Wikipedia!

Got tied up with calls tonight and couldn't call.
Dennis
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 03:21:27 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 04:17:52 AM »
NP on the call - UHMW- ultra-high-molecular-weight- (poly-ethylene) or something similar - HA!  I bought 2, 2 1/2" thick blocks about 10" square, one for Taylor and one for me.  We use it when cutting patches with arch punches - incredible stuff. Your american HDPE  (High Density Poly Ethylene) is similar if not identical.  Note the white stuff is brand new and that is what is used by the large meat cutting places for cutting table tops. The coloured material, blue or black, yellow, etc, is reclaimed (here) new material scraps, edges corners etc, gone back into the pot, so to speak and is illegal for use for cutting boards.

The coloured HDPE should be cheaper. The two blocks I bought were $10.00 each.  I used to get it free in 3/8" and 1/2" thick sheet scrap which I used for firewalls in my radio controlled SPAD airplanes, but not any more.  After picking up a batch of 50 pounds or so, I'd take them a 12 pack of beer on Friday afternoon, just before quitting time.  That can also work when getting WW from a tire shop- sometimes. Soemtiems they'll 'save' the WW for you.  Be aware that California Wheel Weights are now zinc and the addition of a zinc weight into your 10 pound or 20 pound melt will contaminate not only that melt, but your pot's interior as well.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 04:50:08 PM »
NP on the call - UHMW- ultra-high-molecular-weight- (poly-ethylene) or something similar - HA!  I bought 2, 2 1/2" thick blocks about 10" square, one for Taylor and one for me.  We use it when cutting patches with arch punches - incredible stuff. Your american HDPE  (High Density Poly Ethylene) is similar if not identical.  Note the white stuff is brand new and that is what is used by the large meat cutting places for cutting table tops. The coloured material, blue or black, yellow, etc, is reclaimed (here) new material scraps, edges corners etc, gone back into the pot, so to speak and is illegal for use for cutting boards.
Sounds like the poly cutting board that my wife has, now to sneak it down into the shop ;D
Dennis

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 05:50:58 PM »
Close - but the cutting boards are usually 3/8" only and softer material.  If you cut wads on it, be prepared to buy her another.  Those boards may be softer, but they break very easily when whacked by a cutter. Ummmmmmmm - been there.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 05:54:58 PM »
Boy I feel foolish. I bought the fowler Sunday at our show, the owner said it was a 12 bore and I didn't pay any mind to the bore size. Just pulled the barrel to check the workmanship and got two surprises, first its a Getz barrel (I thought it an off brand or maybe steel tube) and also that its a 16 bore .665 and I have wads/cards for that. As soon as it clears up I will see what kind of pattern it shoots.
Dennis

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 07:15:09 PM »
COOL!

robert

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 02:05:20 AM »
An old plastic truck mud flap works great. Get them at any truck service shop.

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 02:42:45 AM »
Good idea, Robert.  Hadn't thought of that - would last for a while - could they be cut into blocks and glued together for added thickness somehow - maybe contact cement?

northmn

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 03:32:14 AM »
I got into a shoot off one time at a BP trap match and ran out of wads as I did not check to restock before leaving.  I won the shoot off using napkins from the concession stand.  They kind of made an intersting confetti when I fired but I broke the clays.  Knew some folks that liked toilet paper for wads but claimed they had to put out a stubble field fire they started in ND hunting sharptail.  They got some sharptails.  I still sometimes wonder if the wads we use are not too good for open bored ML's as the wad hitting the shot column causes doughnout holes.  Newspaper, napkins, toilet paper, old wasps nests, and some even used leaves.

DP