Author Topic: Bear Grease  (Read 10309 times)

Offline mountainman

Bear Grease
« on: December 04, 2008, 05:07:36 AM »
I have over 100 pounds of bear fat, rendered into bear grease. I had read an article somewhere about a recipe for making patch lube, and paste wax, or for the same purpose, and I can't find that article. Thought maybe somebody out there might know of such an article. Any help would be appreciated!!!! Or maybe somebody might know how to do it...Thanks

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Bear Grease
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 06:29:35 AM »
I have over 100 pounds of bear fat, rendered into bear grease. I had read an article somewhere about a recipe for making patch lube, and paste wax, or for the same purpose, and I can't find that article. Thought maybe somebody out there might know of such an article. Any help would be appreciated!!!! Or maybe somebody might know how to do it...Thanks

Did you get any oil?
This is the good part for guns. The bear fat is great for cooking and should work OK for patches.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Ezra

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 10:40:20 AM »
I either use straight bear fat or spit (that would be MY spit, not the bears...) on my patches.  It has worked for me.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 11:25:16 AM »
I use bear spit on my patches. Fresh.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline tim crowe

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 08:22:42 AM »
Jerry

I would pay money to see that.

TIM

arcticap

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 11:23:21 AM »
Has anyone ever chewed the [bear] fat patches to make a combination spit patch?  :o

Offline elk killer

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 02:55:23 PM »
i just use the bear grease,,unless i can find the bear thats been chewing copenhagen,,that works best..!!!
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline b bogart

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 06:01:27 PM »
Jerry
You said SPIT right??? ;)
Bruce

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 06:09:39 PM »
MM,

I have been using bear grease and bees wax for my patch lube for over 10 years.  It does a great job!  I take about 3 parts bear grease and 1 part bees wax, by volume, but them in a tin can and slowly warm them until they melt together.  I stir the mixture to make sure that it is well mixed.  I then dip a pre-cut patch into the mix and put it down on a piece of aluminum foil.  The next patch is plain, unlubed.  Then I add a lubed patch, making a stack of patches like a stack of coins with alternating lubed and unlubed patches.  The lube will flow into the unlubed patches and everything evens out in the stack before the lube has cooled enough to solidify.  This gives me enough lube in the patch without being too messy at loading.

This lube shoots the same whether the barrel is clean our fouled.  Some times if the air is really dry and I have done a lot of shooting already it helps to lay the patch on my tongue while fetching another ball.  That little bit of saliva is all that is needed to cut any resistance to loading.  I rarely if ever wipe my rifle while shooting.  I have shot 50 rounds in 1 afternoon without ever wiping the bore.

Since you already have the grease you know how to make grease from the raw fat.  For those that do not know, this is how we do it.  My brother has a large steel kettle, about 20 inches across.  We cut the fat up into small chunks about the size of an ice cube and fill the kettle about 3/4ths full.  To get nice white grease you need to prevent scorching of the fat that is in the bottom of the kettle.  To do this pour water into the kettle up to the level of the fat.  Do this BEFORE you put the kettle on the fire!

Place the kettle on the fire and slowly boil off the water.  As this is happening the fat is melting.  By the time all the water has boiled off there should be enough melted fat in the bottom of the kettle to prevent the remaining chunks from scorching.  Now just cook and cook.  As the fried cracklings rise to the top skim them off, squeeze the grease from them back into the kettle and do what ever you want with them.  You can use them as either food, fuel of coyote bait. Watch the grease in the kettle.  When the bubbles stop rising from within the grease you are done - all of the water has been driven out of the grease.

If you want oil place the kettle outside where it is cool.  The grease will begin to harden on the walls of the kettle.  When this process begins stir the grease in the kettle very gently.  The higher melting temperature constituents will accumulate on the kettle walls while the lower melting point constituents, the oil, will remain in the center.  When the temperature of the kettle is down to room temperature or a little below pour out the oil into a suitible container.  Then reheat the grease and when it is molten pour it into suitable containers.  Usually we get about 10 times the volume of grease than the volume of oil.  

Bear grease and bear oil is the best rust preventative I know of.  That's the only rust preventative I have used on my rifles for the past 10 or so years.

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline Ezra

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »
Has anyone ever chewed the [bear] fat patches to make a combination spit patch?  :o

Bearfat...it's not just for breakfast anymore!  ;D

Ez
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 07:25:41 PM by Ezra »

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 04:25:07 AM »
The white, Bear shortening (not white bear) (grease) makes superb pie crusts. Best pie my wife ever made was with some of my bear grease.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 10:21:11 PM by Daryl »

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 06:31:53 AM »
Good information.  I may try some one day.  Only problem is we are running a little short of bears here in middle tennessee.  Oh well  :-\
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline Ezra

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 04:13:05 PM »
Good information.  I may try some one day.  Only problem is we are running a little short of bears here in middle tennessee.  Oh well  :-\

We have more than enough here in Washington State, thank you very much.  The ecoNAZIs got legislation passed that prevent us from baiting bears.  Now the bears are all over the place.

Ez

Offline mountainman

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 09:31:17 PM »
Thanks every-one for the bear-grease help. We ended getting more bear fat from a local butchershop ---  They butchered 5 bears this season!   We rendered it all out in roast pans in the oven -

Yes, I am going to make our Christmas pie crusts with bear grease, am making soap with the cracklins, and as I am making a few beeswax candles today I'm gonna make some patch lube with bear grease & beeswax.

Next year @ Dixons I'm having a tasting/ talk seminar for the ladies (and anyone else that wanders in)  on    "From Rabbit Scrapple to Shoo-fly Pies"    so - guess what I'll be using to fry the scrapple  ???   

Steve is out deer hunting  - he got a big doe earlier this week so I rendered out the tallow of that also.   That makes good suet cakes for the birds.

Steve's wife,  Sarah

Daryl

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 10:26:30 PM »
Should make a note here- anyone in an area where they can shoot marmots, the inner fat, around the organs makes much better 'oil' than bear's grease or oil.  It is an incredible water proofer as well.  You con't even have to render marmot oil from the far, but merely stroe freezer the fat, take it out when needed and rub it into your boot leather and hat to completely waterproof them.   I've heard that animal fats rot the stitching, but I've never seen it.  the oil content is so high, that even after handling the 'fat' lumps, you have to wash your hands several times in dish soap just to get it off your hands.

Since the oil content of the inner fat of the marmot is so much higher than the outer 'lard' - could be the same for bears - inner fat being much higher in fine oil content than the outer fat which is more commonly taken. When I rendered the marmot inner fat, I got very little if any 'grease'  as it was almost all pure clean oil.

That marmot oil was the best patch lube I'd used untill that time, btw- didn't get hard in the freezer, either.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 10:28:11 PM by Daryl »

JohnnyM

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 08:25:10 AM »
I've heard the same thing 'bout woodchucks.  I ain't no biologist but me thinks marmot and woodchuck are kin.
Generally speakin', I was told that the best fat for renderin' is the organ fat or inner fat 'specially 'round the kidneys on larger animals.

Daryl

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 06:41:02 PM »
Could be same for chucks-  yes, they are related to marmots - closely.  A fat old chuck would be a good one for 'glaeaning;' the fat from.  A Hoary marmot, in the 20 to 25 pound region carries a lot of fat compared to a 10 pound chuck.  Yes, I know, both species can become larger than that in some samples.

altankhan

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 03:05:35 AM »
we make rendered grease from raccoon fat the same way -- though haven't tried it as patch lube much

Evil Monkey

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 05:28:13 PM »
My Grandmother said that they used bear grease in the '30's because it was free and did nnot require refrigeration. It has an indefinite shelf life as it wont go rancid provided it's kept clean. Does grease from these other critters keep as well?

JohnnyM

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2008, 05:58:27 PM »
Ma!  There's an evil monkey in my room!

I knowed a feller that et 'chucks.  Said the amount of grease that came off 'em was phenolo....phenmenthol....a lot!  Said it was real slick and hard to degrease.  I have no ideas if it would keep as well as bear.  We do got some big chucks in these parts.  A trophy can go 12, 15 pounds.  We used to stalk 'em shoot em with bows 'n arrers.

Daryl

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 05:53:46 AM »
I used the .69 & a .458.  Both worked well.

altankhan

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 06:08:31 AM »
the jar of coon grease on my work bench has been there for years -- the stuff's still good!  I recall trying to use it to lubricate the innards of a lock years back, but it was affected by the cold -- might work as patch lube if mixed with beeswax.  I hear good grease can also be rendered from skunk (the one we ate had tender white meat), though there is the smell issue, though might be more bearable than possum.  Of course there is also mink oil too -- anyone try that?

JohnnyM

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 06:34:53 PM »
mink oil/tallow is great patch lube.  I use it for huntin' when I can't find me bear grease.  Can't say as how they taste 'cuz I ain't et one.  No sir.