Author Topic: Hunting bags  (Read 22198 times)

Offline Don Getz

Hunting bags
« on: April 05, 2012, 04:06:09 PM »
I just viewed the hunting bag on the blog site, made by Jack Hubbard.    Not only Jack, but many bag makers are doing
things like this.  Is there a competition going on that give a prize to the "ugliest" bag?  I have built a bunch of barn guns
but have not really tried to make them ugly.   Just curious..........Don

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Hunting bags
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 04:25:39 PM »
Don's just pulling our legs.....he loves that bag...me too!
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline JDK

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 04:29:25 PM »
Don,  I think that's a bag makers version of an copy of an early surviving trade gun that has been broken, fixed, drowned, dried, used as a crutch and canoe paddle, converted, muzzle plugged, fired, shortened, shot out, relined, reconverted......and to top it off it's carried by a guy dressed as the Indian who it was first given to by the French when it was new.  Beats me, but ugly is in.  It sure would fit hanging with an aged or original anything though.  It really is a creative and artful piece.  J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 01:50:22 AM »
Hey, I just thought of something.........why not call them  "barn" bags..........Don

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 02:17:32 AM »
Don,

That is an "Early Ugly" bag.

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline JDK

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 03:17:00 AM »
Hey, I just thought of something.........why not call them  "barn" bags..........Don

In Kempton they'd be callin' 'em "Schimmel Bags".   ;) ;D J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

IKE

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 05:04:23 PM »
Jacks hunting bag is almost as ugly as some of my Iron Mounted Rifles!
NICE work JACK!

Offline art riser

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 05:21:43 PM »
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music... Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Maalsral

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 06:33:32 PM »
I love that quote, Art.
Mark Thomas

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 07:18:59 PM »
Well either that or they were afflicted by the St. Vitus Dance.

Not only is it visually appealing - to many - but it is also driven by market demand.  If you want to make money, you have to make what the market dictates, and the majority of the market demand currently is for items imbued with artificial history.  Especially since few of us can afford real history!  8)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 07:22:48 PM by Eric Kettenburg »
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 04:54:14 AM »

In some parts of the country reference to an old bag is a cheap description of one's old lady......could be a misunderstandin' of somebodies old lady hangin' out in the barn......

JoeG

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 05:34:36 AM »
Good looking bag Jack,
 but I've always wondered how poor would have to be in order to use a bag that has been repaired that many times and is that beat up

Of course I've  always wondered about the hair on bark tanned bags that look like cancer victims

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 04:04:21 PM »
Art.......you shouldn't print stuff like that...........I've been reading it, and reading it, over and over.   It's a saying similar to
one I heard........"I feel more like I do today than I did yesterday" , or "I feel worse all over than anywhere",  these are
kind of dutchy things............Don

Jack Hubbard

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 05:07:39 PM »
Didn't make it for you to like Don.....Read Arts quote again....Well, maybe not....You probably still won't get it...Some just have to make statements of a negative nature....For those that like it, thanks....Others, what I said to Don....If my Mothers health holds, I will be at the CLA....If you don't care for my stuff, see me at the show.....

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 05:22:41 PM »
Shorten the strap up to about 19" and call them "Canoe Bags".
Seriously, I like it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 05:25:30 PM by Keb Mo »

Jack Hubbard

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 06:02:52 PM »
Thanks again....I got to go mow the yard....

Flinter

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 09:51:11 PM »
Well either that or they were afflicted by the St. Vitus Dance.

Not only is it visually appealing - to many - but it is also driven by market demand.  If you want to make money, you have to make what the market dictates, and the majority of the market demand currently is for items imbued with artificial history.  Especially since few of us can afford real history!  8)

I agree with you Eric, but this makes it hard on someone that likes something to look new. I am coming around though. My name is on a list for an Ian Pratt flintlock. I hope this statement does not degrade Ian's work.

Jack, I like your bag, and I would not be ashamed to carry it. Nice job.

Jack Hubbard

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 12:56:39 AM »
New is just fine...I certainly don't have a problem with it....If a fellow wants to get new stuff and let it age, I think thats just fine....If I want to nasty it up, well, guess I have a right to do that.....I used to have some things new myself....I like the aged apperance...Lots of folks say what they don' like about aged stuff....Never seen any comments from me or others that age things about slick shiney guns and why we don't make it slick and shiney....Guess we are more accepting....Kinda "Live and let live".....I could care less what color your pickup is.....

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 03:55:37 AM »
Jack.......heck, they go good with your character.   Didn't you even call your guns "ugly sticks" or something like that?
Those bags must be a southern thing, up north here when something wore out we replaced it......ha.............Don

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 04:00:19 AM »
"...up north here when something wore out we replaced it..."

So the wife store would be... where?  ;)
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2012, 02:52:46 PM »
Next to the husband tree. ;D
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Gary Tucker

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2012, 03:45:28 PM »
Love the bag.  I think Jack hits the nail on the head with his stuff.  Maybe a hunting bag is like an old pair of shoes.  No matter how  beat and battered they are [ and smelly ], you just can't bring yourself to get rid of them.
Gary Tucker

JoeG

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 12:41:21 AM »

Its interesting to read the comments from people on the degree of aging being done, I think that the likes and dislikes stem from two different view points; Art Collector and Living Historian.

Personally I like the looks of the artificial aged bags. They look good on the wall next to an old gun .I know that it takes special skill and a lot of knowledge to antique a bag so the wear looks like it occurred naturally. I also understand you have to make what people want to spend their money on.

I think that those that really like the aged bags are seeing it as an art object , while those that look at it and shake their heads  are in the  " would that have  been used during the period " camp.

Most of these distressed bags show more wear than a person could have put on a piece in a single life time. I’ve seen a lot of original bags and none show the abuse and number of repairs that seem to be in style now. A patch on bag tells me it is time to hang the bag on the wall and make a new one . Tears in you leather bag would indicate that the leather is starting to weaken and the stitching on a   patch would not hold for very long.

I have a good friend that has but one bag, it was made in 1975 by Rick Guthrie. The first 20 years of this bag’s life has spent in the field about 300 days a year ,the wearer on horse back, on foot or in the old pickup truck . The buffalo powder horn has a rawhide wrap repair do to a hot day in a truck .The owner was a full time trapper, hunter, and hunting guide, where ever he went this bag and horn went with him . The next 17 years it still spent more time in the woods then most of us will ever get a chance to enjoy.

Five years ago I replaced the strap and repaired the flap hinge. After 37 years of constant use it is still a very sturdy serviceable bag , no rot or tears in the leather  and not requiring big patches on the bag body.

This makes me question these art bags when I see some one wearing one  at an event, just how much normal use would you have to give a bag to get it in that state of disrepair? Is a worn out bag period correct?

« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 02:20:41 AM by JoeG »

Jack Hubbard

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 01:38:45 AM »
I don't have any idea what happens up north....We have alot of nice antiques down here in the South....Our house if full of them....My wife has been the business for years....Guess you don't have any good ole quilts up north either....Maybe all new....?  I guess that why Ky makes so much good Whiskey.....We keep it until it gets some age on it.....Its good too......Aged stuff ain't all bad.....  I like what I do and will keep doing it...When I don't want to do it anymore, I'll do something else......I still don't care what color your pickup is....

Jack Hubbard

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2012, 04:35:13 AM »
Joe G....I guess it would depend on the kind of leather and the tan....John Howe carried one of my bags for over 10 years and he was in the woods alot....Some would last longer than others....Thanks....
Thanks Gary...I like your stuff also...