Author Topic: New barrel for my GPR  (Read 4420 times)

FRJ

New barrel for my GPR
« on: April 05, 2012, 07:02:05 PM »
I just got my new barrel for my GPR and cant wait to start shooting it. Let me say I wouldn't have had to replace it if it wasn't for PYRODEX!!!The barrel was cleaned immediatly after every shooting session but every time I would check it out the next day and RUST!!! I changed to real B/P but it  was too late as the pitting just kept going. This new barrel will have nothing but real B/P in it or nothing at all. I also want  to thank MidSouth for their great service and low price. Please beware of substitute powders as you may have an experience like I did.FRJ

Daryl

Re: New barrel for my GPR
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
TKS FRJ. We've been trying to warn our members here of the 'pitfalls' of Pyrodex for many years.   

frontier gander

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 01:29:12 AM »
The cause of rust is moisture. Flash rust happens a lot when using hot water, boiling water is pretty good as its so hot that it dries out extremely fast. I use gun scrubber "almost like carb cleaner but not as beefy" and after i take it out of the bucket, i give it one heck of a squirt down the bore and then dry patch it, soak the bore/breech again and again, dry patch. Follow up with a patch of bore scrubber, work that and then dry patch the excess. The bore scrubber is actually for fouling but its one of those 2 in 1 clean and oil as you go kinda deals.

Had 3 GPR's myself and the two cap locks i had, saw nothing but pyrodex rs.

Corn cobs are traditional, charmin is not.  :P

FRJ

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 01:02:12 AM »
The cause of rust may be moisture but the cause of pitting is corrosion. You may have been lucky I was not. There  are far too many studies done on this subject for me to argue with them. I'm happy for you in that you didn't lose a barrel I did and I am just warning others about my misfortune.
 This has been fun but I have a rifle to build and on that subject you would be absolutely correct if you said I don't know what I'm doing but I am learning. Have a great  day. Frank
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 01:44:13 AM by Daryl »

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 01:44:55 AM »
behave- all of you. I've deleted the most offensive statements, I think. Please let me know if I missed something.

frontier gander

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 05:44:00 AM »
ahhhh come on! I actually laughed hard to the point where i had tears in my eyes from the corn cob statement.

frontier gander

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 08:01:38 AM »
The cause of rust may be moisture but the cause of pitting is corrosion. You may have been lucky I was not. There  are far too many studies done on this subject for me to argue with them. I'm happy for you in that you didn't lose a barrel I did and I am just warning others about my misfortune.
 This has been fun but I have a rifle to build and on that subject you would be absolutely correct if you said I don't know what I'm doing but I am learning. Have a great  day. Frank

Rust isn't a form of corrosion?

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 04:57:02 PM »
Rust is caused by oxidation as far as I know.

Corrosion is a chemical reaction.

The chlorates used in the production of Pyrodex and the primers of old, are corrosive - that is why the primer making facilities stopped using chlorates in the production of rifle and pistol & shotgun primers.  Perchlorates are even more corrostive, I've been advised.

Dave Faletti

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 08:02:35 PM »
Rust is an iron oxide. It also falls under the category of corrosion unless you are browning a barrel then its a finish process  ;D

Corrosion is destructive oxidation generally of a metal.  That could be from the air, an acid, salt water or whatever else eats it up.

FRJ

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 07:32:57 AM »
Yes, rust is a form of corrosion but all corrosion isn't caused by rust. FRJ

Dave Faletti

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 09:13:44 AM »
"Yes, rust is a form of corrosion but all corrosion isn't caused by rust. FRJ"

I already said as much.  Your point?

The other DWS

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 01:23:05 PM »
Those seems top be one of those topics ;).  Every forum, guns, bows, antique jeeps, experimental airplanes, etc that I belong to has one of two.  They seem to be lightning rods wired directly to raw nerves and strong opinions.
   Some folk have had bad experiences with ersatz black powder, some have  not.  Some folk have developed a pet method of barrel cleaning, others use different ones.  Some folk are lucky some are not.  I have my own experience and opinion as well, but let it ride guys, let it ride. We've done this before-- its Easter not "Ground-hog Day" ;D

frontier gander

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 08:03:19 PM »
for the record, the other day i was shooting my sidelock with goex and didn't clean it till the next morning. I already had rust starting to form  :'(  A good warm soapy bath and some Flitz and she was back to being beautiful.