Author Topic: Steel or Ampco best?  (Read 2914 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

Steel or Ampco best?
« on: April 06, 2012, 01:18:09 AM »
On a nipple 'gun' what's best Stainless Steel or Ampco, always wondered this and I also wonder why the better of the 2 is in fact the better of the 2 ???

frontier gander

Re: Steel or Ampco best?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 01:25:40 AM »
stainless steel is no preference now. Had one of those fancier nipples before and had around 70 shots. Cleaned the rifle one day and half of the threads were gone  :o

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 01:29:00 AM »
stainless steel is no preference now. Had one of those fancier nipples before and had around 70 shots. Cleaned the rifle one day and half of the threads were gone  :o
Thanks for responding although I am not certain of what you are saying.... which type had half the threads gone./..?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 04:10:58 AM by Roger Fisher »

Hawkeye

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 01:49:14 AM »
I have used Ampco on revolvers for CAS with great results.

frontier gander

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 01:54:33 AM »
stainless steel is no preference now. Had one of those fancier nipples before and had around 70 shots. Cleaned the rifle one day and half of the threads were gone  :o
Thanks for responding although I am not certain of what you are saying.... which type had half the treads gone./..?

The nipple

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 02:12:39 AM »
I use stainless for my nipple guns, Roger.  The shortened ones for the side by side are wearing perfectly, and the stainless nipple in my .69 is a good 10 years old and the flash hole in it is the same size as a brand new one - thousands of shots.  The nipples pulled every time I clean the barrels so I can flush water into and out of the bore which effectively cleans the patent breeches.  The nipples gets inspected, cleaned and returned to the rifles - in perfect order.
Ampco's are the ones that peened badly for me on the English lock.  The nipples with flash holes in their sides (hotshot), reduced accuracy and velocity as well.  The accuracy loss was noticable at 50 yards and considerably on the target at 100yards.  I dont' rember the #'s, but do remember it was considerable - like 50% larger or maybe double.  That's from 2" to 3" instead of 1" to 1 1/2".  I did that testing in the 90's - could be today that might not happen - I don't need to find out as I'm happy with solid nipples.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 04:15:32 AM »
I use stainless for my nipple guns, Roger.  The shortened ones for the side by side are wearing perfectly, and the stainless nipple in my .69 is a good 10 years old and the flash hole in it is the same size as a brand new one - thousands of shots.  The nipples pulled every time I clean the barrels so I can flush water into and out of the bore which effectively cleans the patent breeches.  The nipples gets inspected, cleaned and returned to the rifles - in perfect order.
Ampco's are the ones that peened badly for me on the English lock.  The nipples with flash holes in their sides (hotshot), reduced accuracy and velocity as well.  The accuracy loss was noticable at 50 yards and considerably on the target at 100yards.  I dont' rember the #'s, but do remember it was considerable - like 50% larger or maybe double.  That's from 2" to 3" instead of 1" to 1 1/2".  I did that testing in the 90's - could be today that might not happen - I don't need to find out as I'm happy with solid nipples.
I don't like the hotshots either never did.  I made some changes on the ol gal incl new main spring in the lock and a new nipple.  Used an ampco since that was handy.  I now have some stainless steel so I'll switch back shortly.   Thanks to all for the v prompt responses .