Author Topic: Hunting Game Calibers  (Read 16665 times)

Dancy

Re: Hunting Game Calibers
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2012, 07:17:07 PM »
Anybody have real data for a 62?

Harnic

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2012, 07:09:49 PM »
Yeah - seem to me, 3F is not efficient in the larger bores. It will be interesting to see what the short little rifle gives.

I would tend to agree Daryl & I'd switch except the day I tried 2f in the new barrel I got VERY noticeable lag.  I switched back to 3f & ignition was quick again.  I definitely need to experiment! ;)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 07:12:04 PM by Harnic »

Daryl

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2012, 07:19:21 PM »
If you get lagging ignition with 2F - something else is wrong, Harry. I use it in every fllintlock but the .32 - and only because I haven't tried it in the .32 yet. I will next time I'm at the upper range accuracy testing.

Perhaps the lag was due to oil in the vent's chamber and by the time you switched to 3F, it was burnt out? Just trying to understand why there would be slowed ignition, is all.

Harnic

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2012, 08:01:34 PM »
Perhaps the lag was due to oil in the vent's chamber and by the time you switched to 3F, it was burnt out? Just trying to understand why there would be slowed ignition, is all.

I have a WL liner, drilled to 1/16", the same as my 50 cal barrel.  There was no buildup or oil in the vent, I checked & picked.  The day I tried 2f & had no 3f with me & when I shot next I used only 3f.  As I said, I need to experiment.  I'll likely get back to the range tomorrow & will try both.  I really don't need to switch to 2f as 3f is working well.  Accuracy is better than I can shoot & velocity is not a priority for a non-hunter.  Also I have a fair cache of 3f, so I'm not inclined to switch now.  I have 2# of 2f to play with & I will over the next while.  I would like to compare velocity between 2 & 3f in this barrel.

FRJ

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2012, 11:51:18 PM »
That's a mighty big spread of critters. Up to elk I wouldn't mind hunting with my 54cal but grizzlys and buffalo I think I would want at least 58 and better yet 62 cal. Just me and others may think differently. FRJ

Harnic

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2012, 02:01:43 AM »
recoil on my 9.2 pound rifle is no issue.

I have to amend this comment after my experimentation last week!  Recoil is manageable with 140 gr offhand (the position I used for this first test), not from the bench!

Daryl

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2012, 05:01:25 AM »
When shooting heavy powder charges, shoulder protectors make for much more accurate bench work, trust me on that, Harry. I've sent a day with a couple of my heavy kickers, using a Magnum Pad and still come away with a purple shoulder- after a day of festering. Slight pain, not much, but those .458's do kick - a bit. The .69's 2"-plus butt plate is much easier on the shoulder and chest, all the way to 175gr.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 05:03:41 AM by Daryl »

Offline Herb

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2012, 08:01:25 AM »
Harnick, does your .58 flintlock have Track's "Hawken Flint Hooked Breech & Tang", part number #Plug-FH-16-3?  If so, the one-inch long powder chamber measures .360 (at the base of the .570 bore) and coarse powder (Goex 2F) bridges there.  Swiss 2 and 1 1/2 will nearly not work!.  I had that problem and cured it by pulling the breech plug and drilling that chamber out to .440", polishing it and radiusing the entrance.  Here's what it looks like in the .58 fullstock flint Hawken I built.  The smoked dowel shows the size of the firing chamber:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 12:02:46 AM by Herb »
Herb

Daryl

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2012, 02:56:45 PM »
Excellent observation and point, Herb. Slapping the breech before seating the ball might help unbridge the powder if you don't open the breech, Harry.

Harnic

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2012, 02:07:07 AM »
Harnick, does your .58 flintlock have Track's "Hawken Flint Hooked Breech & Tang", part number #Plug-FH-16-3?  If so, the one-inch long powder chamber measures .360 (at the base of the .570 bore) and coarse powder (Goex 2F) bridges there.

Thanks Herb, I noticed that with both barrels & coned both chambers to prevent bridging.  I looked through the touch hole several times while testing the 2f GOEX last week & the powder was always right to the hole.  Good point though for anyone using that breech plug.

Harnic

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2012, 02:11:02 AM »
When shooting heavy powder charges, shoulder protectors make for much more accurate bench work, trust me on that, Harry.

I will take your advice before I ever shoot heavy loads in the 58 again Daryl.  The worst kicker I've ever fired was a .378 Weatherby!  A customer was too afraid of it to sight it in (obviously too much rifle for him) but was going on a guided Grizzly hunt.  His logic was his fear of the bear would over-ride his fear of the rifle... idiot!  ;)

Daryl

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2012, 03:44:36 AM »
I've guided enough years to know fear of the bear doesn't prevent flinching. They'd only like to think they're more afraid of the bear - The real question boils down to, what's worse - belt you into tomorrow right now, stars and instand pain, or a possible bear attack with you being backed up by a guide who can shoot his big rifle?  The nasty hunter's rifle wins.

Same goes with heavy loads in a muzzleloading rifle - keep the loads managable by you or a flinch will ruin your day.

That's why I practise with the big gun now and then. Gotta keep in tun to the "Gentle Lady's" caress.

Harnic

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2012, 08:45:57 PM »
  I had that problem and cured it by pulling the breech plug and drilling that chamber out to .440", polishing it and radiusing the entrance. 

What is the chamber capacity with it bored out to .440" Herb?  I would think it must take at least 80 grs just to fill a chamber that large...

Offline Herb

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2012, 10:22:31 PM »
I just measured that black dowel, the powder chamber is 1.1" long by .440.  This is almost exactly the capacity of a .45 Colt cartridge, which is 1.1" by .460 inside.  That case holds 40 grains of Goex 2F.
Herb

Harnic

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2012, 02:59:02 AM »
Thanks Herb, that would work then.  If I have anymore ignition problems when I finish up my Goex 3f & switch to 2f, I'll try boring it out.  ;)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2012, 06:27:15 AM »
FF should not bridge a .360 hole.
I shoot FF Swiss in this and is significantly smaller than .360

However, if I use a lower quality powder the large flakes of fouling will fall over the hole and prevent powder from entering the antechamber of the Nock Breech.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Herb

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2012, 12:20:17 AM »
Dan, this is not what my flint hooked breech powder chamber looks like.  It was .360 inside and 1.1" long.  I installed a White Lightning liner, .068 hole to start, and it was 1.0" to the flashhole.  I did have flashes in the pan with Swiss 2F.  With 66  shots of Goex 2F, I have 4 FIP.  With 20 shots of Swiss I had 11 FIP.  13 of these were Swiss 1 1/2F, but 7 were Swiss 2F with 2 FIP.  I opened the flash hole to .070, but it took drilliing the powder chamber out to .440 and radiusing the entrance to cure the failure to ignite.  I never FIP now, but I will never use a breech like this again.
Herb

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2012, 03:26:35 AM »
Dan, this is not what my flint hooked breech powder chamber looks like.  It was .360 inside and 1.1" long.  I installed a White Lightning liner, .068 hole to start, and it was 1.0" to the flashhole.  I did have flashes in the pan with Swiss 2F.  With 66  shots of Goex 2F, I have 4 FIP.  With 20 shots of Swiss I had 11 FIP.  13 of these were Swiss 1 1/2F, but 7 were Swiss 2F with 2 FIP.  I opened the flash hole to .070, but it took drilliing the powder chamber out to .440 and radiusing the entrance to cure the failure to ignite.  I never FIP now, but I will never use a breech like this again.

I have 2 barrels with a 3/8 hole about 1" long. They do not cause problems and I have shot this rifle hundreds of shots . These would be larger but the barrels are small and the breeches 5/8".

If the rifle is 58 and has a 3/4 " plug I would open it up to at least .440".
The small passages in the breeches are for smaller bore guns.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Dave Faletti

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2012, 09:38:27 AM »
Herb.  I have used that type of breech with a drum and nipple without problem. Thats an even longer passageway.  If there is much oil in there or if I don't smack the stock opposite of the lock it can fail to go off.  It can be reliable but it is less forgiving.