Author Topic: Pincushion  (Read 2529 times)

Ahtuwisae

Pincushion
« on: April 06, 2012, 03:49:50 AM »
Well, I have been pondering this project for some time and decided to just dive in and make one. Thanks to skillman for his insight and mentoring to help me complete it.  It is a first for me and though I am happy with the result i know there is room for improvement.  I am welcoming any critique of it to help make a better one in the future.

it is 3" tall with the cushion at 1 1/2 inches across and the wood base at 1 3/4 inches across.  used cherry for the base.

And a shot in natural light

Offline alyce-james

Re: Pincushion
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 04:16:19 AM »
Very clever idea and  d^&^% good craftmanship. Looks great. Thanks for sharing. Turkeyfooter.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Tom Cooper

• Nil Magnum Nise Bonum
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 07:04:58 AM »
Nifty idea,

how is it that you secured the cushion within the horn ?

Thanks for sharing
Tom

The best way I know of to ruin a perfectly plain longrifle is to carve and engrave it

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 05:46:36 PM »
 A beauty. What with my latest venture, I have taken up quilting, I need to make one, how did you secure the cushion and what did you stuff it with?

Thanks, Tim C.

Ahtuwisae

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 06:13:45 PM »
Thank you all for the compliments. 

Tim and Tom...I used natural cotton batting for the fill.  can get a bag that will last you forever for a coupla bucks at the craft store.  Just rip off some and shred it apart the same way you would with jute or hemp for a fire start nest. 

I pulled about twice the amount I thought I would need and put it in the center of a piece of fabric, gathered the ends and cut off the fabric.  then stuffed the tail in the container and started to work the rest in with a small piece of smooth wood.  kind of like tucking your shirt into your waistline..pushing it down in until no more would go.

For attachment...considering the use of the item, you should not have to, but you could glue the top edge if desired to keep it from slipping out but if packed tight enough, it will hold itself in.  on this one I used a small amount of hide glue around the inside top edge and clamped it lightly in a wood vise until dry.  kinda like the "mushroom" shape result

Steve Skillman may be able to elaborate a bit more but this is how he explianed it to me.

Hope this helps - John