Author Topic: Mariners compass  (Read 4066 times)

Offline Michigan Flinter

Mariners compass
« on: December 04, 2008, 05:36:40 AM »
 I have some Ivory piano keys and a chunk of ebony and want to make a mariners compass to use on my future project. What is the best way to get these pieces all the same size? Your input  will be appreciated . Eric D. Lau Riverdale Mi.

Offline Jerry V Lape

Re: Mariners compass
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 08:04:20 AM »
I haven't done this myself, but I would probably try to make a hardened steel template and file each diamond to final size on the template. 

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 10:33:17 PM »
Eric,
What size Mariner's compass are you making, pocket-sized or ship's?  Just wondering on your intended design.

My son bought the first two at an antique store in Budapest when he was stationed in Bosnia.  The first is an old pocket compass in a brass case.  The second is a ship's compass in a mahogany case.  The last one was inlet as a buttplute in a horn that a friend made for me.  Maybe you can pull some ideas from them.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 01:42:29 AM »
Eric, I'm assuming you are thinking of making an inlay for the cheek of a rifle similar to the stuff seen on some old jaeger's. I would use a jewlers saw to cut the ivory and ebony into the desired shapes needed to give you that "shadow" effect. Kind of like making pieces for a jigsaw puzzle.
Joel Hall

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 02:21:30 AM »
  Thanks everyone for your reply .I intend to inlay it in the cheek piece of a jager I want to build .  Eric D. Lau

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 02:48:16 AM »
Eric, 
     John Bivin's wrote an article in the November/December 1979 issue of Rifle Magazine entitled "Gunstock Inlays" part one.  It features John making and inlaying the variegated star.  I think this article was also included as part of the book "Gunsmithing tips and Projects" by Wolf Publishing.  The 8 pointed star is made up of 32 individual pieces of ebony and ivory.  As with all of John's writings it is well illustrated and written.  I have the original magazine and would be willing to share a photo copy of the article with you if need be. 
DMR

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 05:22:58 AM »
Oops, the terminology threw me off.  I see you want to test your marquetry skills.
You can find examples all over the web to use as patterns.  Here's one:

http://www.inlays.com/80001_llB_W_compass_rose_oval.asp

I think Van Dyke's Restorers has some as well.  www.vandykes.com
They've got some other good stuff for woodworkers too.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline DutchGramps

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 04:40:25 PM »
Eric,
What size Mariner's compass are you making, pocket-sized or ship's?  Just wondering on your intended design.

My son bought the first two at an antique store in Budapest when he was stationed in Bosnia.  The first is an old pocket compass in a brass case.  The second is a ship's compass in a mahogany case.  -----

I think that one in the mahogany case is a surveyors compass; it has a clinometer, which is not of much use on a ship....
Hans
who did a lot of field surveys in tropical forest when he was young...
Real bikes are kick-started....