Author Topic: I figured out why I like blackpowder  (Read 5161 times)

Offline plastikosmd

I figured out why I like blackpowder
« on: April 07, 2012, 12:41:53 AM »
One of my favorite reasons is to be able to customize loads "on the fly."  I also shoot "non-BP" firearms and was doing that at the range this past weekend.  Sadly, it was immediately apparent, that the load choice I made for this firearm was poor.  Now I had a box of 40 rounds that were a complete waste of time.  I don’t mind the process but the trip to the range was ruined as I was stuck with what I had. These were precision (not) loads that I would not have loaded at the range (yes I know that can be done.)  IF I had been shooing one of my trusty BP guns, then I could just make the adjustments right there.  The drive home gave me time to reflect on this point.

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
Re: I figured out why I like blackpowder
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 08:07:20 AM »
I have always loved the process, pour powder, ram the ball, prime.  Then also, I just love the FIRE!
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 07:53:50 PM »
All of it's fun but the firing is the funnest.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

MarkEngraver

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 02:16:00 AM »
I feel the same way.
I like my cartridge guns but the process for reloading is a pain.

Shoot the cartridge, (that's the fun part)
but then you have to throw the brass into the tumbler cleaner,
inspect the brass,
size the brass,
clean primer pocket
inspect the brass again,
prime the brass,
load brass with powder/bullet,
run through press to seat load,( I must say I'm only using a single stage press, no place for a progressive)
then your ready to shoot cartridge again ( fun part)

With BP, powder... patch/ball... ram... prime... shoot,  Life is so much simpler.

ChrisHarris

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 03:25:50 AM »
I'm just in it for the hot chicks!!   :P

Actually, I got into BP because it's a slow hobby.  My job is very stressful.  BP shooting takes my mind off the daily grind.  When I'm shooting, I can relax and have fun.  Time doesn't matter at the range.  There are no deadlines.  There are no phones or email.  It's a slow and methodical process to load a rifle for the next shot.  To me, that slow process is quite relaxing.

.... and the smoke.  I just love making smoke!!  Also enjoy the smell.  Reminds me of our country's roots.  Reminds me of the simple pleasures in life.  They don't come in the form of a cell phone or a computer.  Just ramming a ball home and pulling the trigger, then taking a little snort of that smoke......... makes me smile.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 03:27:55 AM by ChrisHarris »

catman

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 04:48:29 AM »
Well said, I do the same thing to the cartridge brass.... May I add one more thing, water to clean that simpler thing.

I feel the same way.
I like my cartridge guns but the process for reloading is a pain.

Shoot the cartridge, (that's the fun part)
but then you have to throw the brass into the tumbler cleaner,
inspect the brass,
size the brass,
clean primer pocket
inspect the brass again,
prime the brass,
load brass with powder/bullet,
run through press to seat load,( I must say I'm only using a single stage press, no place for a progressive)
then your ready to shoot cartridge again ( fun part)

With BP, powder... patch/ball... ram... prime... shoot,  Life is so much simpler.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 04:49:33 AM by catman »

Offline LH

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 03:12:16 PM »
Yep,  like MarkEngraver sed,  no "reloading"  just loading.    ;)

Offline Scout

• Mongrel Rifle School of North Florida
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 04:29:34 AM »
 BP shooting takes my mind off the daily grind.  When I'm shooting, I can relax and have fun.  Time doesn't matter at the range.  There are no deadlines.  There are no phones or email.  It's a slow and methodical process to load a rifle for the next shot.  To me, that slow process is quite relaxing.

.... and the smoke.  I just love making smoke!!  Also enjoy the smell.  Reminds me of our country's roots.  Reminds me of the simple pleasures in life.  They don't come in the form of a cell phone or a computer.  Just ramming a ball home and pulling the trigger, then taking a little snort of that smoke......... makes me smile.

You hit the mark !  :)
She ain't Purdy but she shoots real good !

Offline heelerau

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 03:34:31 PM »
I reckon in my case it s genetic, my mother used to put a tower musket in my bed with  me when I was a little tackker and home from school sick., I actually got to shoot it when I turned 10, I still have it and I am now 51 !!

Cheers

gordon
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 03:54:40 PM »
I like the kind of crowd Muzzleloaders draws...

and agree on the point of it being something slow and methodical while my regular life flies past my ears... Lets me concentrate on just what I am doing and put it all behind just that one shot.  Any modern cartridge firearm just gives you another shot... Also being able to figure out just the right load.  Black powder also has a different feal to it.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 04:25:03 PM »
I like that I can go to the range and shoot ALL DAY for only a few dollars cost. With my modern rifle that I have to buy factory loads for shoot for a half hour or less and I'm already into the budget for upwards of $40. I just love the way they look and the action of the fire and the smoke. It's almost like a drug. The more I shoot the more I want to shoot.

FRJ

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 03:03:27 AM »
I shoot darn near anything that shoots a bullet or arrow or ball. Archery is my favorite, traditional archery that is. Muzzleloading is next and if you time what it takes you to load a muzzleloader its much faster than reloading cartridges. And last but not least is cartridge guns which I like for supreme accuracy out very long range. There is something about hitting a soda can full of water at 6 or 700 yards that just tickles my innards. Its all fun and beats the heck out of work. FRJ