Author Topic: 58 Rice barrel sighted in  (Read 4593 times)

Harnic

58 Rice barrel sighted in
« on: April 07, 2012, 04:52:10 AM »
As I stated in a previous thread, I replaced the 50 cal GM barrel on my fullstock flint Hawken with a 58 cal Rice.  The sights I posted are working very well, even with my weak eyesight.  I got everything lined up today at the range & fired the 8 shot target below at 50 yards off the bench.  I don't recall shooting a group that good with the GM barrel.  The target is a 3" black bull with a 1" white center.  The group size measures 3" center to center.  The load is a .570" cast rb, .018" Denim patch lubed with Hoppes #9 Plus, & 75 gr of 3f GOEX.  I'm quite pleased with it.  Now I just need to get into good offhand shape & I'm ready for the coming season!  :)

« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 06:06:09 AM by Harnic »

Offline Standing Bear

Re: 58 Rice barrel sighted in
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 05:31:32 AM »
Bull's ear cat-nip!  Looking good.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

roundball

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 06:24:49 AM »

I'm quite pleased with it.

Sounds great Harnic !
 :)

Vomitus

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 09:49:18 AM »
  Harry,
  Not a bad group at 50 yds. Looks like your new sight works good. That rice barrel must be real nice.They seem very smooth down the bore.Is it a squared bottom type? 10-12 thou.grooves?  Is it easier to hold for you? BTW, your picture is crystal clear,even zoomed.

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 05:29:25 PM »
You must be pleased, Harry.  The light must have changed a bit causing the double grouping - it happens.  The right hand group is very good, while the fliers hurt the left hand group of 2 which is same elevation as the right group.

Be sure to use the same pressure & the same method each time you seat the ball onto the powder. Variation there will usually give elevation problems and vertical fliers, up and down. Well done buddy, you're on the right track. 

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 08:42:03 PM »
Well done Harry!  ...looking forward to shooting with you in August.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 10:15:45 PM »
Nice group. I guess you got it sighted in.

Centershot

Harnic

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 10:34:24 PM »
 Harry,
  Not a bad group at 50 yds. Looks like your new sight works good. That rice barrel must be real nice.They seem very smooth down the bore.Is it a squared bottom type? 10-12 thou.grooves?  Is it easier to hold for you? BTW, your picture is crystal clear,even zoomed.

I just miked it LB, the bore is .575" & the groove is .600", so that would give a groove depth of about .0125".  They are square grooves & it is very smooth.  They cut the rifling, but then force a caride button through to smooth out the cutter/reamer marks.  Seems to do a VERY nice job.  The picture I posted is on Photobucket at a larger size, so when the forum software sized it, there's substantial resolution left for zooming.  That & I use a very good professional scanner... ;)  The rifle is about a pound lighter with the 58 barrel, so yes it will be much easier to hold offhand.  The whole kit & kaboodle weighs 9.2 pounds now.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 12:59:56 AM by Harnic »

Harnic

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 10:43:21 PM »
You must be pleased, Harry.  The light must have changed a bit causing the double grouping - it happens.  The right hand group is very good, while the fliers hurt the left hand group of 2 which is same elevation as the right group.

Be sure to use the same pressure & the same method each time you seat the ball onto the powder. Variation there will usually give elevation problems and vertical fliers, up and down. Well done buddy, you're on the right track.  

I am very pleased with the end result Daryl.  Lighting wasn't a factor yesterday, I shot this group over about 10 minutes on a bright sunny afternoon.  While these sights are much better for my eyes, they are far from clear & I am still guessing exactly where to hold that large, fuzzy bead on the blurred target.  Familiarity will tighten that group more I'm sure.  My loading technique was perfected years ago as was my bench techniques so I can say with certainty that there was no error there.  I'm sure the spread group was just sighting error.  Your comments about loading pressure & method are good advice to novice shooters for sure.  Thanks for your encouragement buddy, see you at Heffley if not sooner!  ;)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 09:02:53 PM by Harnic »

Harnic

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 10:47:43 PM »
Well done Harry!  ...looking forward to shooting with you in August.

Thanks Taylor!  I look forward to a longer visit at Heffley this year... both my grandsons want to stay longer this year! ;)  It looks like a busy summer this year with a potential move, but if I can fit it in I want to take a run up there on the new scooter for a few days.  See you later my friend!  :)

Harnic

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 10:50:14 PM »
Thanks to the rest of the gang here for the positive comments.  Here's hoping we can all get together one day for a shoot/b.s. session!