Author Topic: .12ga smooth bore  (Read 4501 times)

Offline elk killer

.12ga smooth bore
« on: April 09, 2012, 02:31:45 AM »
friend build a .12 ga, flintlock
shot it today,,went whoose ,,,instead of boom..!!
found out he used a modern shotgun barrel..
just breeched it as is,,,seems the powder isnt getting compressed,,
maybe use 10 ga. wads,,ideas??

« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 07:54:03 PM by Daryl »
only flintlocks remain interesting..

ottawa

Re: .12ga smooth bore
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 03:34:22 AM »
the chamber on a modern shotgun is bored out for a shot shell giving more room then a strait bored muzzle loader and the barrel may have a tapper to the bore from larger to smaller starting at the breech to constrict the shot for the choke depending on the type of barrel he used. just my guess

Offline TNVolunteerEngineer

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 05:23:58 AM »
A modern breech loading 12ga shotgun barrel should measure .729 unless it is overbored, which could be as large as .740.  12GA ML barrels run .718 and up.   It sounds like he didn't use sufficient overpowder wads.  What did his wad column look like?  For good information on loading a ML shotgun, go to circlefly.com.

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 07:53:26 PM »
friend build a .12 ga, flintlock
shot it today,,went whoose ,,,instead of boom..!!
found out he used a modern shotgun barrel..
just breeched it as is
,,,seems the powder isnt getting compressed,,
maybe use 10 ga. wads,,ideas??

The key to the problem is right here. The new 'breech' area is HUGE in comparrison to the rest of the barrel and gets bigger, the closer to the plug that you go due to having a chamber for shotshells. Anything that gets shoved down the bore is way undersized by the time it gets onto the powder.

He can try using fiber wads which might expand some.  The problem isn't as much compression as it is sloppy fitting with much of the gas pressure blowing past the load before it hits the forcing cone. This reduction reduces the load to being VERY slow, which is why it whooshes.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 09:28:26 PM »
Talk with John Taylor. He's used modern barrels on underhammer actions. Excellent gunsmith, BTW.

http://www.johntaylormachine.com/
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 12:21:31 PM »
I've used modern shotgun & rifle barrels on underhammers and flinters, depending on what he did or didn't did will determine the proper course of corrective action required.  There's no one-size-fits-all breeching method and if done incorrectly it's an incident just waiting to happen.  Client sent me a barrel to be fit on an underhammer, upon examination the alleged "gun builder" who started the project removed the chamber area but left less than 0.020" wall thickness at the breech threads. 
The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 06:22:28 PM »
I've got a shotgun that I built out of a Remington 870 barrel in 20 ga. I cut of the nagazine ring and used the stud for a fore arm mount then cut off the barrel extension at the rear of the breach. Threaded the breach and made a plug that teoretically replaced the shotshell. Works fine, shhots well. This is on an UH action.
Mark
Mark

northmn

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 08:28:30 PM »

Built this one out of a modern barrel and cut off part of the breech (it had a 32 inch barrel originally) The breech plug is now about 1 1/2" and is a Nock style breech (more or less)  It can be done and they work.  Also reamed out the very full choke it ahd as I did not want one. 
On a BP shotgun people get real concerned about fitting precut commercial wads to the bore.  Remember that all kinds of different "stuff" can be used for wadding.  Knew some gents that set a stubble field on fire using toilet paper while hunting sharptails, but they did get some sharptails.  Paper toweling or other such material might expand in the breech and work OK and would offer a good option for a cheap fix.  You could also build up a fairly tall wad column that way.

DP

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 03:27:44 AM »
Leaving the chamber in the barrel can do some interesting things. I build my young son a miniature trade gun twenty years ago from a .410 cartridge barrel. One fine day my friend Tall Pine, and I, decided to go out shooting trade guns. My son Ian ( then six years old) begged to go along, and shoot his trade gun. He had shot round balls out of it quite a bit, but never shot. I explained the principles of shooting clay targets while Tall pine ran the thrower. When the bird was released Ian followed the bird just as I instructed, covered the bird with the end of the barrel, and swung through it an fired. The only problem was by the time he had done all this, the bird was about 35 yards out there. At the crack of the little gun the bird ( that was already falling) vaporized. Tall Pine, and I, stood there with our mouths open, not really believing our eyes. Finally Tall Pine looked me in the eyes, and said "its a full choke". I said it couldn't be I cut over a foot off the barrel. He measured the muzzle and scratched his head for a while, then asked me if I cut the chamber completely off the barrel before breeching it. I said no I cut the threads off the old barrel and left the remainder of the chamber. He said it was working like a jug choke in the short barrel. I said it couldn't. He said load her up. I did, and handed it to him. Now you got to understand Tall Pine is about 6'4" tall with the longest arms I've seen. I couldn't help but laugh watching him shoot the little musket. I pulled the string, and the bird flew, and a moment later there was a bang and the bird blew up. He handed the gun to me and said "its a full choke". I then loaded the gun with the same charge but added three more cushion wad to space the shot column out past the chamber, and sun of a gun it shot like a cylinder bore. This tells me a jug choke can be quite a ways down bore and still work.

Hungry Horse