Author Topic: Shot pouch  (Read 3779 times)

Offline Eric Smith

Shot pouch
« on: April 09, 2012, 04:17:50 AM »
What would a longhunter have in his shot bag? Also what would he take if he took a pack horse?
Eric Smith

Offline JDK

Re: Shot pouch
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 05:10:01 AM »
What ever he needed. ;D  No, seriously.  A long hunt could be any length of time away from home.  Could be anything, everything or just the basics.  Will he be supported by trading post? Friendly natives?  You almost need to choose a scenario and to determine what would be packed and then it would depend on the individual.  J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 06:05:42 AM »
Patches, grease, knapping hammer, extra flints and probably a flint wallet, pliers, turnscrew, flint striker and flint for firestarting, patchknife attached to the outside (usually the strap), ball extractor, vent pick (usually attached to the strap, powder measure, sometimes a small fork and spoon, bullet mold, lead laddle.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 05:50:00 PM »
What would a longhunter have in his shot bag? Also what would he take if he took a pack horse?

See pg 257 "Kentucky Rifles and Pistols 1750-1850"

But I think there are things there that were not carried in the hunting pouch, perhaps possessions that were put in the pouch on retirement/death. But then using a bullet board reduced the need to fish through the pouch when loading.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 04:35:03 AM »
They all carried what was required of them by The Longhunter's Guild. It's clearly spelled out in the contract. You didn't get your copy?  ;)
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

JoeG

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 07:26:07 PM »
The best way to find out:

Put what you you think you need into your shot pouch and spend some time in the woods
go hunting, stump shooting,
trekking just a day trip or for several days
do it  all types of weather
always clean your gun in the field away from your truck

After you've done this , make two piles
what you absolutely needed
what you didn't need

don't repack the second pile

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 05:34:24 AM »
By the smaller size of many originals, seems perhaps they stuffed them with shooting necessaries that required quick access.  I keep tow worm and ball puller in the patchbox. 
Andover, Vermont

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 02:13:52 PM »
JoeG gave a really good answer. Doin' is the best way to figger it out! I'm VERY fortunate that I live in the wood's,so it's easy for me to set up a rig and walk out the door and start "adjusting".
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!