Author Topic: hunting with a ML pistole  (Read 3208 times)

ottawa

hunting with a ML pistole
« on: April 07, 2012, 04:26:33 PM »
I recall back in the late 80s Michigan opened deer hunting to muzzle loading pistols . but the sad part was they had no caliber restrictions on them no minimum cal. but for a rifle it had to be .44 or larger for deer and .45 or smaller for small game. in Ohio muzzle loading pistols are not allowed for hunting at all.
so how many of you use pistols for hunting ( ML ) types??

If I put this in the wrong spot go ahead and move it.

nosrettap1958

Re: hunting with a ML pistole
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 12:26:20 AM »
I use my 51' Colt Navy for groundhog hunting, those whistlepigs are great fun!!!!

ChrisHarris

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 01:43:13 AM »
In Missouri it is legal to use a pistol as long as it meets the min .40 cal requirements.  I plan to carry a TC Patriot .45 cal pistol as back up.  My primary weapon will be a TC .54 Hawken.  I could use the pistol as my primary weapon, but I won't.

Offline FGW

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 12:47:33 PM »
I am REALLY fortunate to have a Myron Carlson custom Hawken .54 pistol.  It puts the hurt on whitetails! Have not hunted with it in a few years but plan on taking her out this season for sure. I am a firm believer in the "bigger hole theory"(bigger balls make bigger holes thus better blood trails). Whatever pistol you hunt with, get close and aim small.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 10:44:17 PM »
I have a very nice .50 flint pistol and I've carried it with me on many deer hunts.  Now, though, I don't take it with me that much.  It's too large to be easily toted without it getting in the way.  What I really need is one with a 5" or 6" barrel; now that would be some easy carrying.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

zimmerstutzen

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 04:45:01 PM »
Pa has the only flinter only season that I know of.  Pistols for either the late flinter season for deer or the earlier "any muzzleloader" season must be at least 50 cal.     Small game pistols must be muzzleloaders less than 40 caliber. but  cap and ball revolvers are not muzzleloaders.  For Groundhogs and Coyotes there are no caliber restrictions.  I use my Ruger Old Army on groundhogs.    I average maybe a dozen a year that way, although the number of groundhogs has dropped substantially since the eastern coyotes moved in.  Seems the eastern coyote population exploded in the last ten years. 

I recently picked up a 32 caliber flint pistol that I would like to try for small game.     The wild pheasant population has completely disappeared here, since about 25 years ago.  Quail are gone too.  The rabbit numbers are way down.  About the only thing we still have plenty of are tree rats.   40 years ago, a hunter could bag his limit in pheasants and rabbits with less than an hour in the field.  I have seen two pheasants in the last six years, and I am sure they were escapees.