Author Topic: 2012 Dry Fork Canyon Peep Shoot  (Read 5132 times)

Online Herb

2012 Dry Fork Canyon Peep Shoot
« on: April 10, 2012, 07:52:12 AM »
Jim held his Peep shoot on Easter Sunday.  What's a Peep?  Those little marshmallow chick candies.  See them on top of the plank above the red paper bunny targets?  Here Neill watches as Jim tries to shoot a Peep.  A second target was the bunny, a nose hit counted more.  Keith and Skunk and Whiskey Mamma watching.

Changing targets.  There were 21 targets and 14 shooters.

Waiting to shoot.  Margie in her new green and yellow dress she just made.

Kyne hunting for a target in the brush.  Some were devilish hard to see.

Carole, Lynn and Terry getting ready for the Canyon Shoot.  There were five women shooters, four left-handed shooters.  George and Carney trying to find the targets.

Lynn shooting her little .40 flinter.  All shot flintlocks but Dave and me, I shot my Green River .45 Leman Trade Rifle I built in their shop in 1978.  My present flintlocks are too long and heavy for me to shoot well off-hand.  I came in fourth of 14 and would have done better except the big boys kept kicking sand in my face for shooting a caplock. Skunk was first, Neill second, and I think Kyne third.

Carl and Carole and Lynn watching Terry shoot.  Carole is shooting the .50 Anniversary Flintlock I built her.

Jean taking a canyon shot.  The first target is a steel "tombstone" on the edge of the cliff straight above the right rim of George's brown hat.  See it?  The second is a tall tan "bugler" about 30 feet right.  The third is a red hostile Indian (targets were designed by Flint from Germany, who has a cabin here), above the left edge of Carney's white hat.  The fourth is an enemy soldier about 50 feet right, under the white ledge, above the right third of Carney's crown.  There was gusty wind at times, but I hit all four, increasing my 40 grain charge of Goex 3F to 70 grains.  It was great to hear the gallery cheer when those targets rang!

Harry Harpoon played for awhile, so did Jim and I.  George on the left, Neill in the foreground.  A very fine time was had by all.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 11:34:24 PM by Herb »
Herb

mjm46@bellsouth.net

Re: 2012 Dry Fork Canyon Peep Shoot
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »
Herb, I love your pictures, made me wish I was there. How far is it across that canyon? I searched and searched for the targets in your photos but couldn't find a trace of them.

cahil_2

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 02:21:33 PM »
Love the costumes.

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 05:18:34 PM »
Good morning Sir; What a way to start a morning for me. The pictures are outstanding. So good I felt as if I were there, I wish. I love that kind of country over all others. Thanks for sharing, Turkeyfooter.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 06:07:46 PM »
Beautiful pictures of some spectacular country Herb!! Looks like a great time too!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Online Herb

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 06:16:45 PM »
Micah, I asked Flint about those targets, he told me "more than a hundred yards".  They were so hard to see that I never did discern any of them except the tall "bugler", standing in front of that cliff.  It took binocs to see them, but of course us mountain men didn't have binocs.  Somebody would say, "just above that bush", and we finally got the area.  This is not Dry Fork Canyon, just a small side canyon coming into the main Dry Fork Canyon.
Here is Whiskey Mamma shooting a Peep with a .52 blanket rifle that Skunk made for her.  She hit it, too!  There was only one factory rifle on the place, Dave's, and he traded it out for one of his flintlocks.  All other rifles are hand made, Skunk made his .50 left handed southern mountain and WM's blanket rifle.  Jim's came from another custom builder, and I suppose Neill made many of the rest.  I made two.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 11:38:42 PM by Herb »
Herb

Online Herb

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 06:32:03 PM »
Here is the prize table with our Easter baskets.  Skunk took first place and is taking his pick.  Several shooters did not put down a prize, just shot for fun.  Here are the bunny face targets, this one got used twice (at least).  Would you believe that Neill missed his entirely, shot for the nose but hit low left, but hit the Peep?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 11:39:43 PM by Herb »
Herb

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 09:44:16 PM »
It's great to see these pictures.  These social gatherings are the things of great memories.

This country looks a lot like the land around Cache Creek, BC.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Vomitus

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 09:49:39 PM »
   Taylor, It sure reminds me of Lilloett,B.C. The canyon shots are almost a blueprint. Great pictures, Herb

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 12:19:21 AM »
You guys are in Utah, right?  Lord do I miss it.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Online Herb

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 05:31:48 AM »
Yes, about 10 miles NW of Vernal.
Herb

Offline heelerau

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 02:31:20 PM »
Herb,
        looks like you blokes had more fun than us over this Easter, the cabin, is that at Carney and Jeans' place? I remember the canyons vividly, had a few shots at jackrabbits at Niel and lynnes' place when I stayed with them years ago.

Cheers

Gordon
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Online Herb

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 07:14:25 PM »
No, this is Jim's place.  Carney and Jean are on up Dry Fork Canyon and over into Deep Creek.
Herb