Author Topic: Cased rifle tools and bits  (Read 3009 times)

McLeanWelsh

Cased rifle tools and bits
« on: April 12, 2012, 06:43:00 AM »
I am building a hunting rifle for my father whilst im in gunsmithing school as a gift to him for all he has taught me growning up. Its the first rifle Ive ever built and it is coming along well. Learned alot and once I return home I intend to start work on a flintlock of some Sort.

I wanted this to be a very custom high grade set up. Express sights and mounts from germany, leather covered felt lined rifle case from jeffs outfitters, the works!

The other day while I was in class however I decided that since I have a rifle case for it the gun needed some accesories and tools.

So I wandered around the shop for a while trying to figure out what to make. The following stuff is what I have come up with. What do you guys think ?

The turnscrews were 1/2 tool steel heated up and twisted into a spiral using a tap wrench. Then they were filed and ground into screwdriver points to exactly fit the sight base screws and action screws.

The turnscrews were then turned on the lathe and threaded. The handles were drilled and tapped aswell. The inserts on all the pieces of antler are held in with acraglass as well as threads, they will never come out and are very strong.

The handle for the cleaning rod was made from a cheap cleaning kit, I cut the brass handle section out of the plastic one and fitted it into a horn one.

Then is the engraving I did on all the tools. It was done by hand with a pencil to layout and then an ultra fine dremel bit. After it was stained with ink. The RW is my fathers initials.

Cheers, McLean
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 11:30:39 PM by T.C.Albert »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Cased rifle tools and bits
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 03:43:41 PM »
Nicely crafted tools.  But they mix materials that do not seem to naturally go together.  For example antler (primitive) are combined with shiny steel looking like stainless.  No accounting for taste but I like primitive with primitive, modern with modern.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Kermit

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 07:37:19 PM »
Nothing primitive about antler. Last modern buck I saw was wearing a pair. ;)
I'm liking these tools. Too bad this is a bolt gun and not visible on this site. 'Twould be fun to see the rest of your work.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

McLeanWelsh

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
Wasnt going too much for primitive on this one, Wonder if I could post it on over the back fence :P

McLeanWelsh

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 09:22:53 PM »
Thanks for the kind words on them!

Mclean