Author Topic: HOLLOW RIB  (Read 2224 times)

Offline sydney

HOLLOW RIB
« on: April 14, 2012, 02:05:46 AM »
Hi am about to install a hollow rib on a swamped barrel
     i want the rib to be parallel to the bore
     whats the best way to install
       thanks   Sydney

Offline Ben I. Voss

Re: HOLLOW RIB
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 02:54:07 AM »
I've never used a hollow rib or put a rib on a swamped barrel, but I don't think I'd want it parallel to the bore. Seems to me that it would look best to have the rib the same height at the muzzle and breech end and file it to fit the swamp in between if not just follow the swamped profile. Imagine the profile of  the "web" of a fullstock  between the ramrod and the barrel. Perhaps you could find pictures of originals and learn how it was done originally.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 02:55:03 AM »
You will have to match the rib to the contour of the barrel. I did mine on a round swamped Rayl barrel. I had used on of the machined hollow ribs from MSB. The draw filling of the oblique flats to make the transition areas smooth was critical. Fitting the rib was achieved by grinding the forward section bit by bit using prusian blue on the barrel and laying the rib on the barrel then removing the high points. I ended up squeezing the rib to make it reach into the waist better then went through the normal solder a rib program. This is what it looked like all trussed up at soldering time.

Dave Blaisdell

Offline sydney

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 12:46:22 AM »
Hi Dave--thanks for the pictures and help
      Sydney