Author Topic: Tried out the new rifle bought here on the site  (Read 2375 times)

Offline plastikosmd

Tried out the new rifle bought here on the site
« on: April 15, 2012, 08:44:49 PM »
P. Davidson 1995 45 caliber rifle. First 5 shots after foul shot. Not amazing group by any stretch but not bad and not a lot of work to do. I'm sure with some work I will get it under 1". Load=  100yards, 65g FFG, .451 ball, 0.015 teflon patch. The aperature rear/front post is mostly to blame.  I felt like I was losing the front post in the target at 100, hard to hold on the 1" red dot.  I may adjust the aim to a 6 hold. Shots 1 was bottom left, then top right, then bottom left then top right.  Then the best part.  I stood with everyone watching this 'antique' shoot on the final shot.  I hit between my 2 groups (3rd up from bottom) free standing, unsupported. Nicely tying together a string of 4 previous shots. I put the rifle down and went home to a bunch of hooting and hollering. (It was pure luck, dont tell anyone)

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 09:30:03 PM by Plastikosmd »

The other DWS

Re: Tried out the new rifle bought here on the site
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 10:34:39 PM »
very nice shooting,  dark hooded post on dark paper with an aiming dot makes for hard shooting.
 In our schuetzen matches we usually have the option of shooting the black&white side/w white bull or the red side/w black bull the guys shooting irons and offhand are usually shooting the red side.

Offline plastikosmd

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 01:30:04 AM »
I will try a different target to see how that works, thank u

The other DWS

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 01:42:29 AM »
for messing around and practice targets I usually use 1 or 2 inch orange avery stick on dots from an office supply stuck on white or buff heavy paper or card stock.  On a dark background its hard to see the post/dot gap if shooting a 6 o'clock hold and a black bull hides the holes when I get lucky.  my eyes are bad enough as it is to handicap myself with targets that are hard for me to see.

You might also check and see if that front sight will accept aperture front inserts if it will the right aperture will help really tighten the groups up too once you find the load you like