Author Topic: Fusil lock  (Read 3803 times)

Offline Ezra

Fusil lock
« on: April 16, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
What would you do?  I want a quality French fusil type flintlock.  R.E. Davis or TRS?  Other? 

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: Fusil lock
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 11:07:16 PM »
Ez,
Here are a couple photos of a Davis lock I modified for my Tulle.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 11:45:49 PM »
A few years ago a number of rifle builders I knew were using the Caywood French lock (built by Mike Rowe) for a variety of projects and said it was quite fast and a good lock.  I do not have any personal experience with it though.  I do have one of their Wilson locks and it is quite good. 

Guy

Offline Ezra

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 02:36:05 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys,  Dave, did you have to do any tuning to the Davis to get it to run right, or was it fine out of the box?

Ez

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 06:41:03 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys,  Dave, did you have to do any tuning to the Davis to get it to run right, or was it fine out of the box?

Ez
EZ,
The lock started out a Davis French fusil.  I replaced the cock with one from a Jim Chambers early Ketland.  I hand made the top jaw, top jaw screw and tumbler screw.  I replaced the frizzen spring with one from a Davis early "English" flintlock.  Reshaped the finial and made a larger frizzen spring screw.  I then took the existing frizzen, tempered it and removed all the Germantic file work off the back side of the frizzen face making the frizzen more Continental in appearance.  I enlarged the powder area in the pan, blued the frizzen cover to the pan and hand engraved Tulle on the lock plate.
Dave
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 06:56:53 AM by David Rase »

Offline Ezra

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 05:03:24 PM »
Thanks Dave.  Nice job.  ;D

Ez

Vomitus

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 07:10:19 PM »
  Ez,
 Never had an issue with these locks right out of the box.Not too hard on flints also.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 07:33:47 PM »
The only thing I've done to improve Davis' Tulle lock, on a stock Fusil, is to lighten the trigger pull by reducing the engagement of the sear in the tumbler notch.  For competitive round ball shooting with these smoothies, a trigger pull around 4 pounds makes like a lot more pleasant.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.