Author Topic: Re: Longrifles of the Shenandoah Valley Exhibit, CD Now Available  (Read 7467 times)

Offline Fullstock longrifle

The Kentucky Rifle Foundation is sponsoring a display of original longrifles made in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.  The exhibit is being hosted by the Luray Valley Museum which is on the grounds of the Luray Caverns in Luray Virginia.  The formal opening day for the exhibit is Saturday, April 21, 2012 and it will run until October 20, 2012.  The exhibit is part of the tour of the Caverns, car museum, gardens as well as the Luray Valley Museum complex.  There is an admission charge for the caverns and car museum, but KRA and CLA members will be admitted to the Museum and the exhibit for free (must show membership card).  

Frank
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 03:30:17 AM by Fullstock longrifle »

Re: Longrifles of the Shenandoah Valley Exhibit
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 05:15:32 PM »
For questions or directions to the Luray Valley Museum, call 540-743-6551.

FK

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 05:36:58 PM »
Sounds like another summer road trip :) :) Do you know if photography will be allowed??

Mitch Yates

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 05:52:53 PM »
Mitch, I believe that they do allow photography, but just no flash in the museum.  There are twenty two rifles in the exhibit (other antique guns are on display in the museum as well) and they are in well lighted cases that are walk around, so both sides of the guns are visible.  There are some super rifles in this display and the entire collection has been photographed for an upcoming book.  

The Luray Caverns is definitely a family friendly destination, I'm sure you will have a good time!

FK
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 08:34:02 PM by Fullstock longrifle »

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 06:19:06 PM »
Thanks Frank
I've been to the caverns a couple of times it's a great area.There is also a good display of rifles in the basement of a town hall somwhere around there.I'll have to look in my notes to see where,somewhere around Dayton I think.

Mitch

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 11:28:39 PM »
I just found out today that KRA and CLA members will be admitted to the museum and Longrifle exhibit for free (by showing their membership card).  There is a cost for the caverns and car museum tours however.

Frank
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 11:30:19 PM by Fullstock longrifle »

Offline VP

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 11:05:59 PM »
I visited the Longrifle exhibit yesterday for the grand opening. The exhibit, made up of 22 rifles, has gunsmith from up and down the Shenandoah Valley, such as Rizer, Haymaker, Lauck, Fisher, Grandstaff, Spitzer, Shomo, Will, Sites, Mauck, Crummey, and of course Sheets. It is an excellent exhibit in display cases that shows both sides of the rifles. Photographs are allowed but no flash. There is enough lighting to make a descent shot. It is a must see event.

Van

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 11:09:02 PM »
Here are a few pictures of the display while it was being set up.

Frank

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 12:06:44 AM »
Great display case! Probably kind hard to take a good picture with the glare off the glass. But from what you can see looks like some real great Virginia Rifles! I am happy to see some Virginia Rifles on public display, to all who worked on this, Thank you!

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 12:33:17 AM »
Sorry for the quality of the pictures, but there will be better photo's on the Kentucky Rifle Foundation web site shortly Avirc, I took these last minute with my Iphone and unfortunately they aren't the best quality, but they do give you an idea of what the display cases looks like.  There are 22 rifles in the exhibit.

Frank
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 12:35:30 AM by Fullstock longrifle »

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 03:01:25 AM »
Sorry Frank , did not mean to insult your pics. I plan on gone down next week to have a look see in person. Real good of those collectors to allow their rifles to be out there for all to see. Seems to me other Kentucky Rifles get  some  exposure , but it is rare to see something like this with Virginia Rifles.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 02:15:28 AM by Avlrc »

Re: Longrifles of the Shenandoah Valley Exhibit, CD Now Available
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 03:17:08 AM »
The Kentucky Rifle Foundation has completed the CD of the Virginia Longrifle exhibit at the Luray Valley Museum and they are now for sale.  The CD's are $25.00 each, plus $4.00 shipping and handling (Pennsylvania residents please add 6% sales tax).  Send a check or money order to:

KRF Longrifles of the Shenandoah Valley CD
PO Box 292274-T
Columbia SC 29229

Frank
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 05:43:14 AM by Fullstock longrifle »

Offline Avlrc

Re: Longrifles of the Shenandoah Valley Exhibit, CD Now Available
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 05:15:15 PM »
Thanks , glad they did this.