Author Topic: Old Shot guns ( Fowlers )  (Read 3799 times)

Offline Old Ford2

Old Shot guns ( Fowlers )
« on: May 13, 2012, 05:01:42 AM »
Why is it that old double shot guns ( mostly percussion ) even in great condition have such little interest and dollar value, as compared to the same vintage long rifles?
On many sites I have noticed that the selling ( auction price ) is usually quite low.
Old Ford
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Habu

Re: Old Shot guns ( Fowlers )
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 06:53:25 AM »
I've always suspected it is a combination of at least two factors.  First off, the shotguns were mass-produced items rather than being individual examples of an artistic type.  Second, being mass-produced, there is little "romance" associated with the history of their use (unlike, for example, the later cartridge doubles that were shortened for use by stagecoach guards etc).  Every longrifle belonged to a frontiersman (even if it never left the township where it was made), every short double cartridge gun was carried to fend off highwaymen (even though most of them were probably shortened after accidents, or in modern times to meet the demand), but those old double muzzleloaders were just farmer's guns (even if they were carried across the continent in a wagon train, or were traded upriver in the late fur trade). 

My 2 cents, for whatever it is worth. 
Jim

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 10:11:31 AM »
The main reason why there are many original sxs and s/b muzzle loading shotguns at auctions today is mostly due to demand of the period.Most muzzle loading shotguns were built by the many Birmingham and London gunmakers and catered for  the ordinary sportsman including the best guns for the gentry but also for the export market.Another factor was it was mostly due too the many different gauges and their use ,also in the UK game shooting was the most popular for gauges up to 12, above 12 it was for water fowl
The sporting rifle in the UK had a limited use the larger calibre for deer stalking and smaller calibre known has park rifles Well known makers such has Manton ,Egg and Lancaster from London and also the top makers of Birmingham still fetch a high price at auction and if cased with all accessory much higher.
Feltwad
Standard 12 gauge game guns

The 10 gauge and Larger Fowl Pieces

The big gauges punt guns ect
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 12:25:17 PM by Feltwad »

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 03:05:27 PM »
Hello Feltwad,
You have some fine looking sporting guns ( almost said "sporting ladies")
It is hard to beat the feel of a fine bird gun. It's balance, pointability, and just thinking of the many outings that this fine old double or single may have had.
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 05:42:15 PM »
  I've noticed of late that values on these shotguns are rising. And rightly so as they are some of the finest and handsomest guns ever made. Useful, too.
  One reason that values stayed low for so long may be that folks were scared away by rumors that their twist steel barrels are no longer safe. This may have tainted the guns that didn't have twist steel or Damascus barrels. This just my guess, though.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 08:09:44 PM »
I've always wondered the same things. Why are fowlers often sold for such low prices? The work and art that goes into them is very dermanding and requires high skill levels.
While I collect principally KY Rifles, I like and have some nice English shotguns. One is a neat Manton percussion that was probably cased once upon a time. There is also a Newton and a Mortimore. Hammer guns are just a lot of fun.
Guess if we wait awhile, the values will rise as most things do. I knew an old fellow whose favorite saying about the shotgun was "The double barrel percussion shot gun was the gun that made the west safe for the Winchester." A friend told me that it was his understanding that Manton had a sales office in Saint Louis in the 1800s. Though I can't vouch for the accuracy of that statement, it would not surprise me if it happened to be true.
Dick

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 08:22:36 PM »
Another couple of images of large gauge guns  used by fowlers who made a living shooting wildfowl and known has [Tools Of The Trade]
Feltwad

Tools Of The Trade

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 08:25:36 PM by Feltwad »

copdoc

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 05:35:37 AM »
Fantastic collection.  Those large bores and punt guns are great.  Any chance you could tell us the history of the punt guns.