Author Topic: I am going to expose myself!  (Read 31223 times)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: I am going to expose myself!
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2012, 08:02:15 PM »
I get a chuckle when thinking about descriptions John Bivins used when talking about rough inlets in his articles.  He suggested some inlets looked like they had been dug out by a demented well digger.  Another was the thought that the inlet had been cut with a foot adze. ;D

I'm really not trying to be mean.  I'll say it again though.  Inletting is a very basic part of gunbuilding that needs to be mastered before moving forward.  There is nothing wrong with practicing on scrap pieces.  I've seen many people struggle with it.  I've thought that this would be a good subject for a introductory building class.  Learning the process to precisely and quickly inlet parts.  I wouldn't expect many would be interested in it though as it would seem to basic and mundane.  I beleive the Bivins articles describe the process quite well for any that are interested.

Jim

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2012, 08:09:09 PM »
I never thought of adjusting the chip breaker to lessen the curl.

I just got a new Lee Valley catalog yesterday and they have a plane specifically making long shavings of wood.  Historically, they were used to make long, curled tapers for lighting fireplaces as wood burns longer than rolled up newspaper.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2012, 08:11:25 PM »
Learning the process to precisely and quickly inlet parts.  I wouldn't expect many would be interested in it though as it would seem to basic and mundane.  I beleive the Bivins articles describe the process quite well for any that are interested.
Jim, where could we find this article? I know that I would love to read it. I normally do not have much problem inletting except I tend to make the mortise too tight and that leads to problems when pulling locks/tangs etc in and out of the mortise.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2012, 09:07:25 PM »
"Inletting the Sidelock" is an article by John Bivins, originally published in Rifle Magazine, March / April 1978
"Basic Gunstocking and the Flintlock Rifle" is another, Rifle Magazine January / February 1978

These and many other articles have been compiled in a book titled "Gunsmithing Tips and Techniques".
ISBN: 0-935632-81-6

Jim

J.Cundiff

« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2012, 09:42:12 PM »
I have a copy of Gunsmithing Tips & Techiques... great book, even though it also has some articles in there about suppository guns too. ;)