Author Topic: New bench  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Eric Smith

New bench
« on: April 23, 2012, 02:02:59 AM »
Started working on a new bench this weekend. The first one was 4" x2" x36" tall with a pegboard and a shelf on top and a storage area underneath. Didn't"t take long for that one to fill up with tools, parts, books, and assorted riflemaking havetohaves. The new one will be against the opposite wall. 24 1/2 deep, 8' long, and 34" tall, with a small under shelf. Making it out of 2x4s and 2x10s. It will be screwed to the wall for stability. This bench is meant to be used  for inleting barrels and stock shaping, heavier work, where as the first one seems to me to be a  proper place for carving and engraving, lighter work. I lowered the height to 34" from 36" because it just seemed to me it felt right. I am only 5'7". I measured and measured. Read all the archives about bench design. In the end, 34" just seemed right. I will need to come up with some cool ways to store chisels and gouges on the new bench. I'm now going to just settle for some haphazard approach. Guess I'll have to just keep on scratching my chin on that one.
Eric Smith

Offline Long Ears

Re: New bench
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 03:16:28 AM »
This is my bench and how I handled the chisel issue. you definitely want a shelf under the elevated chisel rack. About the third time I reached under them to get something on the bench and cut the back of my hand I figured that out. This bench is 40" wide by 72" long. I put the tool rack that is 8" deep in the middle of the bench. The opposite side I use to clean and oil my rifles after each shoot. The bench is on large lockable rollers. I have a tool issue in my 30X60 shop. The issue is too many! I have a complete medium size cabinet shop as well as a 40" metal lathe and a mill. That means the rifle building bench has got to move. Just an idea, it works well for me. Bob

« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 10:24:25 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: New bench
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
Excellent idea!!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming