Author Topic: The "Hare" horn (Picture and text heavy)  (Read 5536 times)

Ahtuwisae

The "Hare" horn (Picture and text heavy)
« on: April 23, 2012, 02:50:29 AM »
I first would like to give thanks to Scott Sibley for his input and help in the research for doing this horn. His input was invaluable in it's completion. 

Some history behind the project...A friend of mine commissioned the horn for use in his newly formed persona as an Indian department agent for reenacting.  The persona is Charles Hare a lieutenant stationed at Ft. Pitt in 1767. George Croghan was the head of the western British Indian Department at the time, and used Ft. Pitt as his main trading post.  "Hare" comes from two real life people...John Hare, Captain Ranger under Daniel Claus and his son Peter Hare, Captain, Butler's rangers; both assigned to the British Indian Department at the time.   

The horn is 16" on the OC and 13 1/4" on the IC & a beautiful double twist.  The base is 2 3/4" across.  the horn is lobed and glass-backed, meaning it has a recessed plug (pinned with steel pins), parchment with text on top, glass on top of that and a cherry retainer ring pinned to the recessed plug.  the pins keep the glass from moving side to side.  the recessed plug is sealed with beeswax. additionally, beeswax surrounds the glass and there is a thin film of beeswax on the bottom of the retainer ring to seal it to the glass.  the parchment is linen paper aged in a coffee and tea mix with hand drawn calligraphy and some black tempera paint on the edges.  The strap is by Kris Polizzi (many thanks Kris) and backed with linen ticking to reinforce and prevent wear.

The scrim is the Great Britain cipher, a rendering of fort Pitt, and text describing the horn.  on the lobe is the small GR cipher.  The lobe is carved in the shape of a heart to show love for king and country.  the stopper is a walnut fiddle peg.

The cherry for the recessed plug and retainer ring is from a tree that was on my grandfather's property.  The glass was salvaged from a pane of poured glass from my home, and the fiddle peg was salvaged from and 1800's fiddle. Also of note, is that this is a left hand hon made for right side carry.

Enjoy

Offline bigbat

Re: The "Hare" horn (Picture and text heavy)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 05:17:21 AM »
Beautiful job.
SS

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 05:30:24 AM »
Delightful yet frustrating, knowing some folks have so much talent!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 04:03:09 PM »
 Another Beauty, WOW!

Tim C.

Offline JDK

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 05:38:25 PM »
I never know what to expect when I open one of your post.....except the fact I know it will be exceptional work.  You have outdone even yourself once again.  Beautiful execution.  J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Ahtuwisae

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 06:48:36 PM »
Thank you guys...it was a frustrating piece with the glass back but well worth the trouble in the end.

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 07:25:23 PM »
What a "stinkin" georgous horn.  You are doing some really fine work and I can't wait to see your next effort.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 12:47:52 PM »
You blokes amaze me with your craftsmanship !! Another lovely heirloom piece !!

Cheers

Gordon
 Ps you mentioned glass, where is it on the horn ?
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 05:38:21 PM »
Very nice horn. ;D

Ahtuwisae

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 08:36:02 PM »
You blokes amaze me with your craftsmanship !! Another lovely heirloom piece !!

Cheers

Gordon
 Ps you mentioned glass, where is it on the horn ?

The glass is behind the retainer ring, on top of the parchment (base plug)

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 08:15:45 PM »
Is the piece of heart shaped horn, with the two holes for attaching the strap at the base, an applied piece or is the raised profile a product of scraping away the adjacent part of the horn?   If it is applied, how is it bonded? 

Very nice work. 

Ahtuwisae

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 10:25:50 PM »
Is the piece of heart shaped horn, with the two holes for attaching the strap at the base, an applied piece or is the raised profile a product of scraping away the adjacent part of the horn?   If it is applied, how is it bonded? 

Very nice work. 

The heart lobe was relief carved from the horn itself.  Symbolism for love of king and country