Author Topic: Critiques please...before chisel touches wood.  (Read 12933 times)

MarkEngraver

Re: Critiques please...before chisel touches wood.
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 06:36:40 PM »
I do not necessarily disagree with the assessments given about the comb profile.
 But, I am getting the sense that there is a lot of distortion in this last photo which may be exaggerating the curvature of the comb.

May I suggest another picture showing the profile from butt to just beyond the lock panel to reduce the "fish eye".  I think that may help give everyone a better idea of the overall package.

Mark

PS. "Rifle building is an intuitive course of study for me, much akin to meditation"

Acer, I whole heartedly agree !!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 06:44:05 PM by MarkEngraver »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 06:58:50 PM »
Fisheye! My sediments exactly! That's the word I was looking for.

Step back as far as you can, and zoom in with the camera. This will eliminate much of the fisheye.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 07:13:32 PM »
I agree that the comb line needs to lose some wood just for'd of the butt plate return, and the comb line blended to a nice curve.  Other advice regarding the lower cheek piece line is also right on.  Might I suggest too, that you design a Lehigh star for that area that fills the cheek piece, as it does on Allen's rifle.  Putting a smaller star there will exaggerate the size of that cheek piece.

While we're giving advice, I'd like to say too that Brad is doing a great job of keeping his wood flowing and smooth - note the transition of wrist to butt stock for example.

Brad, take a file to the butt plate and thin the edge where it meets the wood along the sides of the butt stock.

We don't yet have a profile photo of the whole butt stock - from for'd of the lock to the butt plate.  Why I'm mentioning this, is because if you don't have at least 1 1/2" of drop at the comb, from the top flat of the barrel, you'll have a cheek buster.  You still have an opportunity to pare down your comb to give you enough drop there to save your face.  It would also diminish the chubbiness of the butt profile, and make it look a little more like the "Brunette".  Just as an observation, the Lehigh architecture has its own idiosyncrasies, but amplifying them does not make the rifle 'more Lehigh'.  Strive for SUBTLE.  And keep up your good effort!!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline JDK

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 07:23:31 PM »
Brad I sent you an e-mail.  If you don't see it check your spam.  J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 07:43:20 PM »
I have seen this rifle in person, you folks are right on in your assessments, but I do believe the photos are exaggerating a lot of it.  I know Brad, he will get it right.  Build on!

Brett.

LehighBrad

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2012, 11:17:56 PM »
Thanks Brett!!! You're always a confidence booster.......remember that this winter when I slip in my moccassins and make a bunch of "Lehigh" kindling out of this rifle during our annual muzzleloader hunt/trek. :D

LehighBrad

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2012, 11:32:11 PM »
Better view of this Frankenstein Lehigh wanna-be????

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2012, 01:38:37 AM »
I think your going to work this out just fine into a nice gun you will be proud of.  Now how much do you want for the table top?

Jerry

LehighBrad

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2012, 02:26:51 AM »
Same rifle.....better table. For you Jerry! ;) Added my main horn too. Anyway......tonight the comb gets a slight trim. Before I started rifle building I was a terror with a wood burner. :D

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 02:28:13 AM by LehighBrad »

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2012, 03:59:30 AM »
Yuengling????  I'll bid $50.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2012, 04:15:57 AM »
I will be in PA in a couple months, always look forward to the Yuengling.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2012, 07:04:02 AM »
Yeah, gotta love that Yuengling brew. Can't find it out here in the West, so gluttony helps satietiate the need while back there where it can be found. Of course, there are substitutes out here that are okay; one I like best is Firestone-Walker Black Xantus and their Merlin black beer is pretty good.
Brad, your rifle looks mighty fine to my eye. Proceed slowly and cut fine. You are almost there, I think. Don't ask me how many guns I have built, (none), but you can ask me how many originals I have. So, my word might be worth a little something. You do have a lot of friends here. That's a good thing.
Dick 

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2012, 03:08:57 PM »
Brad, I will freeze on a hunt or trek before I let you cut your rifle up for kindling.